More Reviews
REVIEWS Anomaly 2 Review
Does the tower offense genre exist yet?

Fenix Rage Review
Anger will become your best friend.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sunset Overdrive Preview
Microsoft and Insomniac Games have created a new open-world shooter with clear influences from Jet Grind Radio. We went hands-on with the first hour of the game.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Sunset Overdrive's Drew Murray and Ted Price Talk Traversal and Game Design
Insomniac's open-world shooter will land exclusively on Xbox One later this year and we got to go hands-on and speak with the devs on the this stylish Xbox One exclusive.

Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are graphics comparisons even relevant anymore?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Are graphics comparisons even relevant anymore? Reply with quote

I just saw this posted on GameSpot for Dishonored

http://www.gamespot.com/dishonored/videos/dishonored-graphics-comparison-which-version-kills-6397913/?tag=Topslot%3BBreakingDownDishonored%3BGraphicsComparisonWhi

A graphics comparison between all three versions. I honestly think the PC version should just be discarded from comparisons these days because its obvious consoles can't keep up. People keep doing these comparisons and the PC is always the best version like we should be shocked or something. I think it should just be console comparisons now until the next generation (WiiU doesn't count).
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to remind the dirty console plebs of their place in the universe.
Glorious PC master race is the only real choice.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've never been relevant to me.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, but there is a noticable difference sometimes.

Dishonored comes to mind, on the consoles it looks pretty bland, on the PC it looks exquisite.
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ironic because there is hardly any fudging difference between the console versions. So without a PC comparison, having a comparison in the first place seems pretty redundant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics comparisons have always been stupid fanboy bait.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are different ways to compare the 360 and the PS3 but graphics isn't one of them. Graphics were never really an issue, even Sega wouldn't say the Genesis had better graphics than the SNES, instead they created a marketing term called blast processing to show it could run faster.

I can remember being a kid and always being amazed at "bits". Every generation of console would double in bits but we didn't know WTF a bit was. When the N64 came out it got a little crazy, every fucking game ended in 64 to remind you you're dealing with 64 bits buddy. Even the working title for Ocarina of Time was Zelda 64. I can remember telling my mom how awesome 64 bits was and she asked me "what's a bit?" At which point I gave a blank stare and tried to save face with some mumbo-jumbo about 3D graphics.

Video game developers knew how to market to kids. I think maybe once the internet became popular near the end of the 90's kids educated themselves on video games and we didn't resort to advertisements as facts. The last I heard about bits was when the Dreamcast was released. Sega said it was 128 bits, again just doubling Nintendo. But tragicly it died and with it died all this bit talk. Sony replaced Sega in the console wars but then the Xbox was released and since then all people seem to compare nowadays are those two while Nintendo takes a backseat and says "been there, done that".

If we were still talking about bits that double every generation, the PS3/360 would be 256 fucking bits, or hell maybe more, we made the jump from 16 to 32 to 64 in one generation. Can you imagine how inferior you could make a console of the same gen look if you said one was 256 bits and the other was 512? It wouldn't matter how identical they looked, becaue just like blast processing, ads work on gullible kids. But regardless it wouldn't change the fact that both consoles look the same.
Wes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untill the Dreamcast you couldn't get arcade graphics on a home console. There are exceptions like Turtles in Time on the SNES but graphics on newer arcades were always above and beyond what you could play at home. It's the same today with PC graphics and should be viewed as an entirely different thing.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And TMNT IV had an onboard chip to help it look that good.

Graphics will improve forever and ever, but games are bigger than that, and some incredible art can be made in less than photorealistic fidelity.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I propose that reviewers stop talking about graphics and talk about aesthetics instead.

The difference is major, because soon we will be judging games not based on how realistic they look, but how the design of the world is in-game, and if it clashes with other design choices.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points guys, all of them. I guess you either need the comparisons to let console gamers know that their CPUs and GPUs are 7 years old, and 512MB RAM will get you nothing but low-resolution muddy textures. Or to let PC gamers know just how awesome PC gamers are.

I think that console still have a place. Console exclusives. I only use my PS3 and 360 for console exclusives now. I just wish developers would stop porting games from consoles to PC without enhancing anything.

I also find it interesting that console fanboys tend to keep their mouths shut these days about graphics comparisons. When this generation first came out they were screaming, "What now PC gamers?! Checkmate!" Not really. Consoles and PCs were probably on par for about 3-4 years and then we just hit the turbo boost and flew on by.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinksOcarina wrote:
So I propose that reviewers stop talking about graphics and talk about aesthetics instead.

The difference is major, because soon we will be judging games not based on how realistic they look, but how the design of the world is in-game, and if it clashes with other design choices.

Aren't we already doing that? All the time? Very few developers are even going for realism in visuals. And all the praise already goes to games with interesting and cohesive aesthetics.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Are graphics comparisons even relevant anymore? Reply with quote

Ivory_Soul wrote:
PC is always the best version like we should be shocked or something.

This...
danielrbischoff wrote:

and that. I think the biggest arguments people have are whether consoles online features are better on one console or the other. PC is like an audience, they just sit back and watch console fights. IMO, I love all the consoles equally. That's why I wear this shirt.

In Limbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also remember the whole FMV phase where developers were more interested in live action cutscenes over actually gameplay. Thank God those years are long over.

We've reached a golden age where graphics in cutscenes and gameplay are one in the same. Something I only dreamed of while watching FMV's on Playstation titles during the late 90's.

The goal now appears to be stlye over realism. We can achieve realism now that our graphics are all CGI, but making something artistic and stylish is what can set games apart (Limbo, Sound Shapes, Journey, Walking Dead, etc) .

But that's just me. I also enjoy the realism in graphics as well.
hewhowasonceme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics to me have never mattered. I have more fun playing Minecraft than I do Crysis. Games are only fun when you attach your self to them emotionally. I play games for game play and depth, not graphics.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minecraft is gorgeous in its special way though.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Are graphics comparisons even relevant anymore? Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:
Ivory_Soul wrote:
PC is always the best version like we should be shocked or something.

This...
danielrbischoff wrote:

and that. I think the biggest arguments people have are whether consoles online features are better on one console or the other. PC is like an audience, they just sit back and watch console fights. IMO, I love all the consoles equally. That's why I wear this shirt.

Ugh you're a beautiful person.
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics matter to an extent. If the game looks god awful ugly when it's obvious it can look better, that is no excuse. When a game knows it doesn't look good and it designed around that, that is a game where people say, "Graphics don't matter here." I don't anyone who would play Gears of War or Assassin's Creed if it looked like total crap. Certain games need the graphics to immerse the player more.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:

I wouldn't call it gorgeous. It's got its own style, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
used44 wrote:

I wouldn't call it gorgeous. It's got its own style, but still.

Very true. Minecraft is downright ugly, that's why there are graphic enhancement mods. I have seen some screenshots of those and THAT looks gorgeous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: