More Reviews
REVIEWS Cut the Rope: Triple Treat Review
Cutting the ropes has never before made gravity so… pricey.

Faster Than Light: Advanced Edit Review
FTL's Advanced Edition is a natural fit for the iPad. But whatever platform you're playing on, the new content adds depth and variety.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Release date: Out Now

Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

LATEST FEATURES Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Tips for The Elder Scrolls Online: The Vestige's Guide
Just a handful of ways to keep yourself from dying.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP danielrbischoff
Peace in the Era of Call of Duty
By danielrbischoff
Posted on 04/15/14
In a world dominated by violent media, Americans are no more eager to go to war than they were in the 1980s or the 1960s or the 1940s. Hasn't it always been someone else's problem? The overwhelming majority would rather go on thinking it had nothing to do with them and there...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Simcity (2013)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twgxslugger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Simcity (2013) Reply with quote

Hello everyone I wanna know what you all think about the new Simcity.
Another thing is what are you going to build I am referring to city specialization.
Also what do you think about the multiplayer feature?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to like it, I really did. I watched videos and was really impressed

And then the AMA with the devs came out. And they are baking in Always online drm and EA authentication severs into the game. Then the Beta came out and people had to wait upwards of 2hours just to authenticate to the server. I want to believe this was just a beta thing but I don't trust EA.

Now EA is putting microtransactions in every game(Including single player ones) including simcity

To those who buy it enjoy it.
I just cant buy the game and support these practices.
twgxslugger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing I agree with here is that EA servers are terrible and I also find that multiplayer is not for this kind of game.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to the PC forum where it belongs because the new SimCity isn't on a Nintendo platform.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disappointed, but may still give it a try... the time me and friends spent in the original sim city.. man oh man. good times.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Origin took a dump on any anticipation I was feeling for this.

o--(^-^)--o
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as sourdeez. When i first heard about it, i was pretty excited because i used to play the shit out of SimCity4.
Then i remembered it was a modern EA game, which made me twitch a little bit, but i figured they might have learned their lesson from the shit DRM in the past.
And then i heard about the always-online.
And then the micro transactions.

And then i asked, why the fuck don't EA just get it over with and start making facebook games? It's pretty bloody obvious that's all they want to do. Maybe make some shitty iOS ports for .99c with microtransactions out the arse.

Fuck EA.
Remember the old days? SimCity4, NFS: Porsche, Dungeon Keeper, System Shock 2.
Even as recently as Underground 2 and Burnout 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8_F-_a6ko
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think System Shock 2 is an EA game but yeah, fuck EA. If you don't stop them doing what they're doing with the PCs, then they'll move on pulling the same bullshit on the consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDbfCbQnH8
twgxslugger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo everyone I just found out something that may change your view towards the game's multiplayer if you wish to see how this is done check out the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znBsHXc6zNE
this shows that you can turn your region into a public or private region
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/simcity-burning-a-warning-to-microsoft-sony-and-all-publishers-on-the-dangers-of-always-online-drm

"It has been out for three days, and SimCity is broken. Seriously, unplayably broken. As a long-time fan who's been looking forward to this week for many years, this is a huge, frustrating disappointment. The worst part? The main issue isn't with the game itself, but an entirely unnecessary and completely avoidable always-online DRM system that's keeping millions of fans from playing the game they paid for, when they were told they'd be able to play it."
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure EA doesn't really care....they're still making a ton of money off of it.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EA are being true to form by threatening to ban customers from origin who want a refund.

Meanwhile,
"We are continuing to do everything we can to address the server issues. In the meantime, so that we can give you as good an experience as possible, we are in the process of deploying a hotfix to all servers. This includes various improvements and also disables a few non-critical gameplay features (leaderboards, achievements and region filters). Disabling these features will in no way affect your core gameplay experience."

So basically, they're turning off every 'benefit' the always-online would've provided.

Fuck EA. Fuck them so hard. Every single person who works for them should be ashamed, and all the higher ups should be shot for the benefit of mankind - after all, if they weren't fucking over gamers, they'd be fucking over something else for something. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the EA higher ups want to work for Monsanto..

It absolutely boggles my mind that people still give EA money. They don't deserve a fucking cent, let alone the literal billions they rake in every year.

I'm gonna go get some bloody vodka and drink away this disgust with humanity.
Boggles my goddamn mind

Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has also removed the option to run the game at its fastest setting, known as "cheetah speed". Instead, all cities will now run at the lower "llama speed".
Yikes they slowed down the game?

Petition to remove DRM. Doubt it will go anywhere but its worth sharing.

https://www.change.org/petitions/electronic-arts-inc-remove-always-online-drm-from-simcity-and-future-games

"Just realized the irony that a game focused on building infrastructure is unplayable due to a lack of proper infrastructure,"

Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ea threatening to ban those who complain and dispute charge. Refuse to give refund.
:edit: updated for clarity.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Ea threatening to ban those who complain and refuse to give refund.

Not really sure you're point on that one....I'm pretty sure even Steam does that if you dispute a charge through your bank like that.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"while EA and Maxis continue fixing things on their end, they also want to offer up a freebie (in lieu of giving players a refund).

“…to get us back in your good graces, we’re going to offer you a free PC download game from the EA portfolio. On March 18, SimCity players who have activated their game will receive an email telling them how to redeem their free game. I know that’s a little contrived,” Bradshaw admits, “kind of like buying a present for a friend after you did something crummy. But we feel bad about what happened. We’re hoping you won’t stay mad and that we’ll be friends again when SimCity is running at 100 percent.”

Free game. Not bad. Hope its a good one.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be friends again with EA when they somehow invent time travel and revert everyone back to 2005.
Otherwise, they can get stuffed. Pretty sure the last EA game i bought was back in 2010 (ME2), and that sure as shit won't change soon.

Hopefully the free game will be SimCity4 so that people can play an actual good one.

Green_Lantern wrote:
Not really sure you're point on that one....I'm pretty sure even Steam does that if you dispute a charge through your bank like that.

Steam don't ban you - or even stop you playing your games. If the charge is disrupted, they just stop you buying new games and try to contact you to see what's going on.
This is good if, for example, your bank accidentally messes up.

I would bet my bloody car on EA outright banning you with no communication if their precious money was disrupted for so much as a second.

Meanwhile
"What we saw was that players were having such a good time they didn't want to leave the game, which kept our servers packed and made it difficult for new players to join," explained senior producer Kip Katsarelis on EA's forums."

Nice try there, Kip. Didn't work, but at least you're giving damage control a good try.
Maybe tell us we're holding our laptops wrong next time?

Also just like to point out crack development is moving along reasonably well. Bunch of different groups are trying different things, from adapting old origin cracks to capturing server data to a full-on java based emulator.
Funnily enough, EAs DRM has actually worked. Because the crackers can't get the game online properly, they can't get 1/2 the info they need.
You cunning bastards, EA. I suppose that's one way to fix piracy. Just make the product shit enough and not even the pirates will be able to fix it.

You know you've fucked up when people want the govt. to step in
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/institute-industry-wide-return-policy-video-games-rely-remote-servers-and-drm-function-properly/nMy1wrtC

"Video and computer games are growing increasingly reliant on remote servers and the implementation of Digital Rights Management (DRM) to function properly.
When these measures fail, consumers are left with an unplayable experience. In these cases, the consumer should have the right to expect a full refund, whether the game was purchased in physical or digital form.

SimCity from publisher Electronic Arts is a recent example of why such a law is crucial. Even 72 hours after its release, players are unable to log in and play, rendering their $60 purchase useless. Yet they have no recourse for a refund.
Consumer protection laws vary from state to state. Please institute a universal, industry-wide refund policy for defective entertainment both digital and physical."

Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully the free game will be SimCity4 so that people can play an actual good one.

Sounds like a good idea.
Im sure people would still be angry though.
C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical story. I treat any single player game with always online DRM the same way I treat any game with Securom, as a automatic do not buy.

Sadly, with the way PC gaming is going, I probably won't have many games to choose from in the future since they are all coming up with these bullshit ideas to fight piracy that don't actually stop any piracy but just make the experience as miserable as possible for legitimate buyers instead.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch EA shoot themselves in the foot a second time with the "free game" thing. Either it will be a totally crap or cheap game of their choosing, or they'll give you a coupon code good for $20 that has so many freaking limitations on it that it is virtually unusable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: