More Reviews
REVIEWS Firefall Review
Repetitive gameplay makes this fall a little boring.

The Walking Dead: Season Two Review
At this point, you’re not coming back for the zombies. Let’s get down to business.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Lara Croft and the Temple of Osi Preview
Lara Croft takes another crack at the isometric adventure, and this time she makes Egypt angry.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Madden NFL 15
Release date: Out Now

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

LATEST FEATURES A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Controversy in the Video Game Industry
Need help wading through the latest misogyny/homophobia/racism/corruption debate in the gaming industry? Paul Tamburro’s here to help!

inFamous: First Light Battle Arena Hints, Strategies, Tips [Stream Over]
Watch as I build out our feature of useful tactics for players in Sucker Punch's wave-based and arcade-awesome arena mode.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP samsmith614 Since game design is a business, I decided to see what's really selling well for the PS4. I did this search a week ago, and at the time, out of the top 20 bestsellers on Amazon 10 had not even been released yet. By now some have been released. But others still have not. And yet others...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A semi-spoiler free Mad Men discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: A semi-spoiler free Mad Men discussion Reply with quote

So I'm trying to get caught up on season 6 and I have 4 episodes to go I'm afraid. I have to say I like it so far. They really seem to be delving into Don's past and dealing with the why behind a lot of his actions. One thing I'm curious about, for those who watch the show, in as spoiler free way as possible can you tell me, is SCDP going under? I saw what Peggy did with Heinz and I can't help but feel that combined with Don's Jaguar sabotage will lead to them being in a not so good place. I know the show only has one more season after this one so it's safe to say they're starting the beginning of the end.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhhh, there are some really key episodes that you're about to watch. No spoilers but shit's about to get real.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just couldn't keep into this show. There was this point where I really started hating Don.

danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's an atrocious excuse for a human being.
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel kind of sorry for him...

And I do love me his swagger!
Mod-Chip
Senior Idler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lethean, shit will get real real soon real fast, and I'm guessing you're going to like it.

My interpretation of his spiraling downfall is that Don is essentially a metaphor of the decadence of the american dream, the impossibility of ever achieving it, and is, in essence, an emblem of the meaninglessness of advertising and its promise, which is happiness.

It's also worth noting that post-modernism was all the rage in the 60s, and it was at that time when post-structuralists introduced the notion of "The medium is the message", which in a nutshell asserts that it's not so much what you are saying it, but rather how; and the mechanisms of the how carry a far more significant connection with the observer than the message itself. This was also a time when subliminal advertising was used.

In short, Don's downfall (as witnessed by his literal fall in the opening credits, surrounded by ads) is a representation of advertising's inability to truly deliver happiness and instead it smothers the consumers with things they don't need. Don's personal downfall is reflected in this by his own inability of ever becoming happy, despite having everything he's ever wanted...something always seems to be missing, and he can't help destroying his relationships with people close to him by trying to find it.

Jon Hamm's portrayal of the nuances of complexity found in Don's character are nothing short of some of the best acting I have ever seen. Truly, a fantastic show, and I'm glad there are others here who watch it.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery Date is by far one of the craziest episodes I've ever seen on that show.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was like the first point where they really started fucking with the viewer, and they do it more in the most recent season. I love it, totally changes what you can expect from the show...

I'm just waiting for them to reveal that Don has a brain tumor or some crazy medical shit that will have him drop dead in the middle of the office because of course he'll never fucking tell anyone or do anything, tying it all back into his denial of the "death wish" as a motivator in the first season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: