More Reviews
REVIEWS Hyrule Warriors Review
Link, Zelda, Impa, and more Hyrule heroes hit the battlefield in this Dynasty Warriors spin-off. Can it stand up to the brand’s history?

Disney Infinity: Marvel Super He Review
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes adds light RPG mechanics, builds on action, and uses Toy Box Mode to teach players.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14


LATEST FEATURES PS4's Until Dawn Scared Me Out of My Headphones - TGS Hands-On, Headset-Off Preview
Hopefully it doesn't keep me awake... for the whole night!

NIntendo Download September 2014 - Updating Each Week
OK, so I didn't update before PAX and I may have missed one before that. Let's try this again!
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
A Letter to the Big “N"
By shandog137
Posted on 09/12/14
I have and will continue to have a place in my heart for Nintendo. In fact, my first console was a Super Nintendo. The video game market has changed drastically since the early '90s and it seems like what once was platinum is more so along the lines of silver now. Nintendo has always been...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Violent video games - how old when you first played?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon Blakestone on my moms Pentium 75 when I was very young, I have no idea how old though. But that was about as violent as you got back then. I'm going to guess I was in the age 8-11 range.

The first console game I got that was very violent and bothered my mom was Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.. god I loved that game..

I would have been 12 at that point.

Ahh yea forgot about Mortal Kombat.. i was likely 8-11ish when I played it as well.
_________________
The above statement is true
The below statement is false
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures


Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 1654

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Turok! "I AM, TUROK!" That game was pretty bad ass. I wasn't very fond of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil though...

The only game my mum ever had a problem with me playing, was Diablo. I played that when I was eleven. My mum is religious (Luthren) and she didn't like the idea about a game being named after... well, the devil. We had to convince her that you know, you're fighting to -stop- the devil and stuff.

I remember being nine years old and playing GoldenEye: 007 on the N64. My dad was watching me play, and he knows nothing about video games. He was watching me always going for head shots.

"Why are you always trying to shoot their head?" he asks.

"Because they die." I say.

Dad replies, "If you shoot them in the chest you'll puncture their lungs, their heart or maybe their spine. I'm pretty sure they'll die anyway."

I remember this because it made me laugh so much. That's kinda messed up now that I think about it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Turok 2 was a huge letdown. But I still played it and enjoyed it, just wasn't half the game Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was.

I remember how it was like the king of graphics when it came out though.

And yea I think we all played Goldeneye, but I don't really consider it gory.

But I do remember shooting dead bodies as much as I could to try and make them entirely red.




ahh nostalgia.. the brain drilling gun
_________________
The above statement is true
The below statement is false
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures


Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 1654

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intoTheRain wrote:
But I do remember shooting dead bodies as much as I could to try and make them entirely red.


^ I did this too. I think everybody did.

I remember in Perfect Dark, that's when they introduced like... blood splatter on the walls and stuff.

That is one thing about Turok 2: Seeds of Evil that impressed me. The graphics at the time. It looked awesome. That weapon there, the Cerebral Bore, that always gets voted as a "top weapon" in top ten lists of game weapons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 1809

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3556

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjim2000 wrote:
Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.


loved it so much

soldier of fortune 2: double helix
_________________
The above statement is true
The below statement is false
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR


Joined: 27 Jan 2001
Posts: 16069

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I think I was like...9 when I played Doom 2?
_________________
Optimus-Crime wrote:
it's fucking Canada and who wants to live in the badlands but space rebels, pirates and vikings..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures


Joined: 02 Jul 2006
Posts: 1654

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

intoTheRain wrote:
cyberjim2000 wrote:
Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.


loved it so much

soldier of fortune 2: double helix


Yeah I played Double Helix! I never played single player, I only bought the game to play multiplayer.

That game was gorey as f-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR


Joined: 27 Jan 2001
Posts: 16069

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Craig wrote:
intoTheRain wrote:
cyberjim2000 wrote:
Anyone here played Soldier of Fortune for the PC? Man, that was pure gore back in the day. Was hard to shoot anybody.


loved it so much

soldier of fortune 2: double helix


Yeah I played Double Helix! I never played single player, I only bought the game to play multiplayer.

That game was gorey as f-


I loved me some Soldier of Fortune.

Never played Double Helix.
_________________
Optimus-Crime wrote:
it's fucking Canada and who wants to live in the badlands but space rebels, pirates and vikings..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3245

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first game was Star Wars: Dark Forces, and that was decently violent. No blood really, but it was a shooter.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR


Joined: 27 Jan 2001
Posts: 16069

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
My first game was Star Wars: Dark Forces, and that was decently violent. No blood really, but it was a shooter.


That's about as violent as a domestic abuse cutaway scene in a movie. No arousal. No bruising. No point!
_________________
Optimus-Crime wrote:
it's fucking Canada and who wants to live in the badlands but space rebels, pirates and vikings..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR


Joined: 27 Jan 2001
Posts: 16069

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf did I just say? That doesn't even make sense.
_________________
Optimus-Crime wrote:
it's fucking Canada and who wants to live in the badlands but space rebels, pirates and vikings..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3245

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR


Joined: 27 Jan 2001
Posts: 16069

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.


In all seriousness I think blood or no blood, when you're 8 and shooting people, shit is going to be violent.
_________________
Optimus-Crime wrote:
it's fucking Canada and who wants to live in the badlands but space rebels, pirates and vikings..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3245

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
NickKmet wrote:
lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.


In all seriousness I think blood or no blood, when you're 8 and shooting people, shit is going to be violent.


yeah, pretty much. But hey, I turned out alright.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Affen
Freedom Runner


Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 2047

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom was installed on the first computer my family bought used. I also remember slightly some zombie light gun game at a movie theater that was darn terrifying yet seducing in my young mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WickedLiquid
In Limbo


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 6743

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
Lethean wrote:
NickKmet wrote:
lol, but I was like 8. Shit makes an impression. First truly bloody game that I owned? Hell, I don't know. That was a long time ago.


In all seriousness I think blood or no blood, when you're 8 and shooting people, shit is going to be violent.


yeah, pretty much. But hey, I turned out alright.


Didn't we all?

Excuse me, I think Mother wants to stab my newest guest while she's in the shower. BRB.
_________________
Lethean wrote:
I'm just going to ban everyone for 24 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrozenBacon
100% sexy


Joined: 12 Aug 2003
Posts: 7877

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Ill just put this here.


The death scenes in that game are awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
NjNakedSnake
Ape Shall Never Kill Ape


Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1412

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be Mortal Kombat. Christ, I must have been like 4, 5 years old. Playing that at that age had to have screwed with my brain.
_________________
...me?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8891

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NjNakedSnake wrote:
Has to be Mortal Kombat. Christ, I must have been like 4, 5 years old. Playing that at that age had to have screwed with my brain.

I remember the attract-mode for MK splashing blood everywhere at the local pizza joint, probably the same age as you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum