More Reviews
REVIEWS Faster Than Light: Advanced Edit Review
FTL's Advanced Edition is a natural fit for the iPad. But whatever platform you're playing on, the new content adds depth and variety.

Kinect Sports Rivals Review
It's been far too long since Microsoft's Xbox consoles had a Kinect-only title. Is the wait worth it?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Release date: Out Now

Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

LATEST FEATURES Call of Duty Endowment Might Help You Get a Job, But We Won't Learn Anything From Its Latest Campaign
Say what you will about Activision's warmongering mega-blockbuster. At least they're doing what they can to catch vets on their way home.

Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP danielrbischoff
Peace in the Era of Call of Duty
By danielrbischoff
Posted on 04/15/14
In a world dominated by violent media, Americans are no more eager to go to war than they were in the 1980s or the 1960s or the 1940s. Hasn't it always been someone else's problem? The overwhelming majority would rather go on thinking it had nothing to do with them and there...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
[OT] Upgrading Your PC Parts - What goes with what?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: [OT] Upgrading Your PC Parts - What goes with what? Reply with quote

I think there's no point for creating a new thread every time someone wishes to buy a new part! So it's time to for a dedicated thread.

If you are upgrading graphics card, there's no problem, these days there's only PCIe slot where you can stick any current or next gen graphics card. Some years ago there also used to be an AGP slot but those have been rooted out. But if you wish to use Crossfire or SLI aka using two graphic cards in unison, first check whether your motherboard has one or two PCIe slots. Most mATX motherboards (micro ATX) for example have only one, so using two isn't just possible.

The issues come in when getting any other parts. From processors to motherboards to power supply units. Thankfully motherboard manual usually has all the info you need and if you don't have manual, chances are you can also get the info from interwebs./

/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Now I have a small issue. I'm going to upgrade my PC soon since it's already over 3 years old and to be fair it was last gen when I bought it, processor is Intel Dual Core which is meager mid end crap and the best I could upgrade to with my current motherboard is Core 2 Quad which are hardly available anywhere and cost more than current i5s.

So I have composed a list of things I need to upgrade:
1. Power Supply Unit
2. Motherboard
3. CPU
4. RAM

Picking out the CPU is not a problem, I have chosen Intel i5 over costly i7 because it is not gonna change much gaming wise, just faster rendering with software that supports the bells and whistles which games don't use.

The problems come when I have to get a new motherboard for that. The problem is as follows: I don't wish to switch out the box, so I wonder if new motherboard with LGA1155 socket (required for i3/i5/i7 processor series) is going to sit in the box just as well as the old one. The box and board are both mATX. Is there really no difference for mATX box if the new motherboard is also meant for mATX box, just like the old motherboard?

Buying RAM is not going to be a problem, I can read up on that from motherboard specifics.

Is there anything else I need to look into? Cooling?
Toddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mATX has a maximum size of 244 mm × 244 mm (9.6 in × 9.6 in), so if your current board is that size, it'll fit fine in your case. (What is the case BTW? Is it also ATX compatible?)

PSU wise will depend on the size the case, plus being Haswell compatible, (as Haswell CPU's can use ultra low voltages, which not all PSUs can supply properly)

Cooling, the stock fan will work fine but if you are overclocking, Haswell runs hot. The size of the case limits what height air cooler you want or space to mount a closed water loop (e.g Corsair H60)
Starling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I managed to finally hunt down my case and seems I'm good.
http://www.codegenworld.com/showDetails.asp?max_id_search=11&min_id_search=23&pro_id_search=394

It seems size wise there is no problem with ATX PSUs or mATX board (max size is 12" x 9.6"), but the advice you gave about seeing that it's Haswell compatible is good, I'll keep that in mind!

EDIT: To be fair, I'm having the biggest headache with PSUs, everyone tells me Corsair is a good PSU but those are available only by ordering, all the local stores sell mostly FSP Fortron PSUs and over those people have mixed opinions. :/
Toddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSUs are the most important part in a computer, they are connected to all your other (and more expensive) components. Stick to decent brands such as Corsair, XFX or Seasonic.

They are able supply the power they say (and more), much less likely to fail and if they do fail are much less likely to ruin your other components at the same time.

Read reviews if your not sure on which to buy. Is there a reason why you don't want to order online?
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vouching for Corsair PSUs.

My TX-750 is rated at 750w. In actuality, it will max out between 800-850w before thermaling.
Compare this to cheap PSUs, which will likely hit 750w... once, and then explode. As in literally, smoke and sparks and all of your other hardware dead and un-warantable.

Do not cheap out on the PSU. Ever.
Buy yourself a good modular Corsair PSU now, use it for the next 10 years. IIRC, Corsair are currently offering a 7 year warranty on their PSUs, so they'll probably outlast the concept of desktop PCs at this point. I fully expect us to be all running tablets and google glass by the time my PSU fails.

Also, haswell is socket 1150, not 1155.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8_F-_a6ko
Starling

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Also, haswell is socket 1150, not 1155.

That's okay, I'm not going with Haswell anyhow, Ivy Bridge will do. Difference in performance is small and other differences are irrelevant.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer gigabyte motherboards.

Asus also has some good ones.

As much as I read good reviews on MSI boards I have a bad history with them.

Corsair power supplies are good. Cooler Masters, silverstone, and antecs have worked well for me in the past.
I run a XFX 1000watt now. Its very good but very expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: