More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Defending the X-Box One.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Defending the X-Box One. Reply with quote

Gamers are a cynical, finicky bunch. We like to think the world revolves around us and our needs. We see change as a detriment to our gaming existence...As long as that change differs from what we want out of it. The X-Box One has come under a lot of flak since it's announcement, drawing attack from the gaming community with comments attacking it's ability as a serious gaming platform, it's usefulness in a world of Roku boxes and smart T.Vs and everything in between. But you know what? Who the fuck cares? Really?

The X-Box One mentions an entire slew of multimedia features from watching live tv, to checking out sports stats and browsing the web. That of course drew the ire of gamers worldwide. Useless features! All of them! Where are the games? Well, let's think for a minute, this was a next gen console reveal that was no doubt sped up in light of Sony's unexpected PS4 announcement. It's a reveal that came just a few weeks before E3. What do you think MS will focus on at E3? Live TV? Not likely. Yes, the X-Box one has what we consider bunch of useless features we may not use but you know what? It isn't all about us. What MS is trying to do is offer features that the non gaming public might gravitate towards. What MS is trying to do is reach out and grab a hold of a key market - the average consumer, not so much the gamer. But what does that mean for gamers? Nothing. The X-Box One is still a fully capable gaming console and will be for the next 5 to 10 years.The hardware specs are similar to that of the PS3, it has online capabilities and cloud storage, it will support multiplayer and you know what? Developers will be making games for it! Amazing no? That's the part that confuses me. All this talk about all the "useless features" of the X-Box One but how exactly do they impact gaming? There will still be grade A exclusive titles, there will still be some poor ones. There will be Sony exclusives that X-Box owners can't access. Nothing will really be all that different.

How many features are on my X-Box 360 that I don't use? More than I actually use. I still love it. Imagine if MS revealed the 360 saying "we will introduce a tiled interface showcasing today's top musical artists, movies and social networking apps. We will have Netflix integration and internet radio channels for all your musical needs. Not only that but as an added bonus to our Gold members you will get early access to demos that non paying subscribers will have to wait an extended period of time for. Later on we will be introducing custom avatars in which you can use real world currency to purchase outfits and "pets" for them inspired by your favourite games." Doesn't sound like much of a gaming system does it? Well, it's gone on to outsell the PS3 and continues to be a fan favourite.

Bottom line is - It plays games. That's all that matters (The online quirks and ambiguity of game sharing are an entirely different beast but ultimately I don't think that will matter much at all in the end.)
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
Bottom line is - It plays games.

Unless you're offline or don't buy a brand new copy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
Lethean wrote:
Bottom line is - It plays games.

Unless you're offline or don't buy a brand new copy.

Hey now, that's only after the 24th hour!
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that will be such a non issue that no one will be bringing it up in the future.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're Longo and have a shi* connection then yes it does make a difference. This a stupid decision and I hope they do something about it.

Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're also completely alienating their military fan base since many of them overseas play games in their downtime without an Internet connection.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have an Internet connection in college unless I was logging into an unprotected wifi.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Xbox one is, where are the games? Their reveal focused on the extra BS features that no one cares about. There is still E3, but based on what Microsoft revealed, there is nothing to look forward to with the Xbox One.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have military friends in a desert with no internet connections.
I also have other friends in remote areas of the U.S. that will lose internet and power for days during storms and will be left with only power from their generators.

Is this a majority of gamers? No
But to say
Quote:
that will be such a non issue that no one will be bringing it up in the future.

Is short sighted. Some people will be affected and bring it up in the future.

To be honest I have a feeling this will extra motivate modders to come up with solutions to allow people to play their games without all these restrictions.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
I have military friends in deserts with no internet connections.

Being a guy who was deployed to one of the shittiest parts of Afghanistan two times(about 2 years total), I can say worrying about that is bullshit.

When I was in Afghanistan the only thing I had was movies on my laptop and other than that I was focused on the mission at hand. I signed up knowing the conditions I would be in and I coped with it. Now, saying that I have seen the living conditions of the other services (I was in the marine corps) and they are a lot better, but to be divas saying "Wahhh I need my Xbox" is fucking bullshit. Our forefathers didn't even have electricity, and the guys who fought in WWII worked in conditions that were even worse. Military guys do NOT need a goddamn Xbox when deployed because they should be focusing on the mission at hand.

[/patriotism]

Last edited by FrozenBacon on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft "Up-Voting" Positive Comments on Reddit?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Reddit-Xbox-One-Reputation-Management-upvote-downvote,23014.html

Last edited by Sourdeez on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathan_Leack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm here for the lawls. This popcorn sure it tasty.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
If you're Longo and have a shi* connection then yes it does make a difference.

Yeah! What about me and my shit connection(s)? Do I lose my value as a consumer because my landlord refuses to install an ethernet cable?
In Limbo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:

madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Defending the X-Box One. Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
What MS is trying to do is offer features that the non gaming public might gravitate towards. What MS is trying to do is reach out and grab a hold of a key market - the average consumer, not so much the gamer. But what does that mean for gamers? Nothing.

Heavily disagree. By focusing on non-gamers, they inevitably create a worse experience for gamers. Even if the gaming experience is still good, imagine how much better it'd be if the team didn't spend 4 months making a device that connects to the TV as a fucking TV tuner.

Lethean wrote:
The X-Box One is still. a fully capable gaming console and will be for the next 5 to 10 years.The hardware specs are similar to that of the PS3, it has online capabilities and cloud storage

Yeah, except because Sony didn't put a bullshit camera in with their system and focus on non-gaming, the PS4 is much more powerful. I'm not overstating the difference here, it really is that huge.
As for online capabilities and cloud storage, the 360 has those now. Not a single person, ever, in the history of the world, has used MS' cloud storage system and the PS2 had online capabilities, with the difference being there wasn't any bullshit, we-suck-EAs-dick DRM 24hr nonsense on the PS2.

Finally, it will not last 10 years. It won't even last 5 years. With the frankly abysmal hardware in the xshit1 (and to a lesser extent, the PS4) we'll be seeing fucking tablets reach comparable level of graphics in 2-3 years at most, and neither support 4K properly which means when things like the steambox and the ouya 2 launch with true 4K support just as mainstream 4K TVs are hitting the market, the 'i onley wutch EE-ES-PEE-IN on me sixtay-fiiive-inch-teevee' crowd will skip over them entirely.

Lethean wrote:
It will support multiplayer and you know what? Developers will be making games for it! Amazing no? That's the part that confuses me. All this talk about all the "useless features" of the X-Box One but how exactly do they impact gaming? There will still be grade A exclusive titles, there will still be some poor ones. There will be Sony exclusives that X-Box owners can't access. Nothing will really be all that different.

The very fact that you're making this post PROVES things will be quite different. Gaming has moved to a place in the world where it's extremely important, and having 90% of the magazines and websites in the world call a product shit WILL affect sales.
Yes, it will sell games, but for how long? How long until developers realize the PS4 is outselling it 2:1? How long until they see the frankly astonishing amount of people online calling the xflop1 literally satan?

There's a very good reason Rockstar didn't make GTA5 for the 'next-gen' consoles, and realistically we should've KNOWN how bad they were when rockstar announced they wouldn't be supporting them for shit.

Lethean wrote:
IBottom line is - It plays games. That's all that matters (The online quirks and ambiguity of game sharing are an entirely different beast but ultimately I don't think that will matter much at all in the end.)

A nokia 3310 plays games, too. Doesn't mean the ability to play games is all that matters.

And considering microsoft are basically launching the xturd1 aimed squarely at 13yo CoD fanboys and people who buy EA Sports games, every year without fail, i suspect the actual gaming experience won't be all that impressive.

Even the recent damage control they attempted to squish some rumors didn't help, because most of the rumors were true. And, unfortunately for Microsoft, the true rumors are the ones that are causing the world to call their new console the next pippin.

I personally know 3 other people with 360s, and none of them are planning to purchase this new piece of shit, mainly because we're not city-dwelling americans and as such don't have flawless high speed internet at all times, much like the rest of the world. You'd think Microsoft would've seen what went down with simshitty and quickly change a few things, but no. They're basically standing up and saying you stupid fuckers will buy anything, here's a new Call of Duty and some Football.

Microsoft can go fuck themselves. Even if they reversed every decision they've made on the new console and offer it with a free sexbot, i wouldn't buy one purely because i won't support a company that shows such contempt for their customers.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.

Last edited by madster111 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
Lethean wrote:

I'm in no way saying the One is going to be great but it's getting a lot of unnecessary hate for a console 5 months from release we still know little about. You know how much can change in five months? It's a typical knee jerk reaction from a gaming community. Yes, a lot are wondering "where are the games?" but E3 is coming. You think MS will show up with just three or four titles saying "get excited!"? Probably not. All the complaining about the useless features simply doesn't matter - It's still a gaming system. All the remarks about "lol will it play games" are off base and exaggerated. MS did drop the ball on their press conference but I really feel as though they wanted to focus on all the features to try and one up Sony and the features they've implemented on the PS4. Which...Synched play with the Vita? A failing system? Really, neither of these next gen consoles impressed me.

The only concerns I'd have are the game sharing and...Well, that's kind of about it.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a very good reason Rockstar didn't make GTA5 for the 'next-gen' consoles, and realistically we should've KNOWN how bad they were when rockstar announced they wouldn't be supporting them for shit.

I figured this was so they could cash out twice. First they get people to buy a copy for old gen, Then they will buy another copy for next gen and with the way GTA5 will sell they will make amazing amount of sales. I know plenty of console gamers that will buy both.

Pc Gamers will wait for the better version and skorn rockstar for making us wait. The one with dx11, tessellation, and better framerates(We know this because it uses the MP3 engine)
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i'll absolutely be waiting for the PC version. Not fore the superior graphics or draw distance or anything, i don't give a shit about that. But i swear to god GTA4 runs at 25FPS on my PS3, and i simply cannot deal with it. So i run the PC version despite its shortcomings, because 50-60FPS is orders of magnitude better.

Incidentally, i wonder if we'll see multi-platform games that have the same graphics, but run at 30FPS on the xflop1 and 60FPS on the PS4?
The hardware should support it fairly well. The xturd1 can be locked smooth at 30FPS and the PS4 can fluctuate between 45-65FPS.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know John Carmack has stated he and other devs plan on still locking next gen games to 30fps.

Lower resolution(next gen will help this), Bad AA, and low framerates is also some of the main reasons I choose pc over consoles. My xbox friend never understood what I meant what I told him I could see the fps lag until I built him a high end pc for $700 and he started playing games at 60fps.

I would be surprised if the ps4 played games at 60fps(Other than COD of course which is always 60fps) and if they did I would kinda assume it wouldn't be for more than a year, Look at the equivalent hardware benchmarks.

I do think the xboxone will still sell to "die hard fans" the kind that either don't care or have kept themselves oblivious to the details of it.Or the kind that just have a lot of money or think their xbox gamer score is the only thing worth holding onto in their lives. Im not sure things will be so dire as devs abandoning it but I definitely predict the ps4 outselling the xboxone. When I would buy a console I usually would go with the thinking of I should buy the one with the more powerful hardware.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Madster I didn't see your post when I was responding earlier. I'll respond at some other time when I have time to read through all of it. One thing I will say is I meant to say it has hardware similar to the PS4 not 3 and when I say 5-10 years I mean in terms of a consoles lifespan, not cutting edge tech. You should know by now I'm an avid supporter of PC gaming and don't feel any console will ever rival it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: