More Reviews
REVIEWS FIFA 17 Review
With Pro Evolution Soccer on its heels, can FIFA 17 keep the ball?

Bioshock: The Collection Review
Would you kindly remaster this?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Let It Die Preview
Seems like Suda51 saw Frozen, played Dark Souls, and then got the lyrics mixed up.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES FIFA 17
Release date: 09/29/16

Shu
Release date: 10/04/16

WWE 2K17
Release date: 10/11/16

Skylanders Imaginators
Release date: 10/16/16

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Welcome Back to the West
By oneshotstop
Posted on 08/01/16
The only thing that stops the dust is the rain. It’s a sweet reprieve, but there is no middle ground. The land is either as dry as the Betty Ford clinic, or as wet as the ocean floor. Everything can be seen from the ridge overlooking Armadillo as John Marston gently bounces along atop...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nioh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioTan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Nioh Reply with quote

Brushed off by many as a mere "Souls" clone, Nioh offers more intrigue and character with its cast of real historical figures, wealth of Japanese folklore, a simple yet complex combat system, beautiful music, and captivating setting.

You play as the first Western Samurai, William Adams of England, who was the first of his country to reach Japan in 1600 during its Warring States Era. You encounter rogue bandits and Ronin of varying arms and styles, and none should be taken lightly. Button mashers be warned: a depleted stamina bar spells, "Good night, nurse" as your movement is completely exhausted, and you're tucked into bed with a drenched, warm blanket in preparation for your extended stay.

Your stamina (known as "Ki") is not that difficult to maintain, however, and there is an ingenious way of restoring it immediately following an attack combo. An aura will emanate around your character and will dissipate after a few seconds. While it is still visible, you'll want to tap (R1) to perform a "Ki pulse" replenishing enough stamina to chain a number of combinations of attacks at once!

Should you encounter anything supernatural, run! Known as Yokai and Oni, these bastions of ancient lore inhabit their own realm, but have found their way to Earth and can be identified by their primordial pools from which they spawn. Later on, you'll be able to visit this realm yourself should you possess the courage. These ghastly villains should be taken with the extreme caution as they are the deadliest foes in the game. You need not face all of them, though. Be on the look-out for paths that meander around these death traps.

You'll want to master at least two different weapon types; you may choose from katanas, dual katanas, spears, axes, or hand-to-hand Jujutsu. Make sure you're also comfortable with the three different fighting stances: High - concerning slow but devastating attacks; Mid - a balanced stance that favors blocking; and Low - for quick, weak attacks and dodging.

There are also several guardian spirits of different elemental capacities from which you may choose to keep as your "living weapon" potential. Conjuring this potential yields a lot of errr potential so be sure to make use of it when its gauge becomes full.

Go download the Beta and try it out! It will be available until September 6th. If you manage to beat the first and second stage, you will earn a "Mark of the Conqueror" "Mark of the Warrior" respectively. These marks will grant you some kind of exclusive DLC when the game releases, oooh!
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting! If the Beta is available now, I'll have to download it and give it a go. Smile

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Craig wrote:
Sounds interesting! If the Beta is available now, I'll have to download it and give it a go. Smile

I know the demo was up on the PS Store a while ago. It was fun but I deleted it after I kept dying at the same spot. It has a very Souls like gameplay and challenge but something about the guys I ran into felt cheap and difficult for the wrong reasons. Of course this could have been due to my own feelings of inadequacy and also because since it was a demo I didn't want to spend too long getting past one spot.

I really appreciated the different techniques you would have to employ with the same weapon to best defeat certain enemies. That was a nice touch.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Souls series, so I'm either going to enjoy Nioh, or hate it. Razz

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
COMaestro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the Beta. Hope to give it a try tonight. Probably won't have much time to play it this weekend though as it's my wife's birthday.
StudioTan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean, you should give it another shot. They changed the healing items to work like the Estus Flask system in Dark Souls, rather than farming for them as items. Each time you visit a shrine, you'll replenish your healing items and Ninjutsu/Omni gear. I even found a way to increase the maximum amount (default at 3). It's under the Ninjutsu skill page towards the bottom.

Another thing: you earn skill points as your familiarity increases with your equipped weapon. When you reach maximum familiarity, switch to another weapon, even if it has lesser stats, so that you will always keep earning skill points to unlock new feats.

I started out dual wielding katanas, but I ended up working on the spear as well. Hey, it's what originally got me through Demon's Souls.. or was it a halberd? Well, no halberd in this game, but spears are great for engaging groups of enemies and maintaining your distance from them. I recommend pumping some points into that skill tree if anyone is having trouble in the beginning. Put some points into your Health stat too when you level up; it also increases your damage output with spears.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nioh sounds kinda cool, I'd love to give it a try.

In Dark Souls, I used different weapons... I never finished Dark Souls, but in Dark Souls II, I ended up using a lightning-enhanced lance. In Dark Souls III, I ended up fully upgrading my starting weapon (a long sword), which actually became my powerful end game weapon. :/

StudioTan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you'll dig it Craig.

My favorite part of it all, is that it inspired me to learn more about the history of Japan and the real-life versions of all the characters. I had never heard of William Adams before playing this game. I really appreciate things like that.
COMaestro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this game is pretty brutal. I managed to beat the first demon to get the key to the gate after numerous tries, but then failed to reach the next shine Sad

Since the gate was now open, I just bypassed the demon and a bunch of the human guards and ran to the shrine to make sure I would start there after dying. Was doing pretty decent in the next area after a few tries, then accidentally spawned another demon and got killed. Then it was 2 AM and I decided I really should go to bed. Smile

I'm liking it so far. I really want to beat the first stage at least during the beta, but I'm just not sure how much time I will have to play the game.
COMaestro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. Having reached the boss of the first stage and dying, I was taking out guys to restock my equipment (Elixirs and such) and trying again. I had him down to a sliver of life when he managed to grab me and do a crapload of damage to me, killing me again.

I was working on restocking again when the demo's time limit hit at 1 AM. I was SO close to finishing the first stage at least! Sad
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't download the beta, I missed the window. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: