More Reviews
REVIEWS The Walking Dead: Michonne - Epi Review
Living in the now, while regretting the past.

Cyberpong VR Review
A timeless classic has been revived in virtual reality.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Gears of War 4 Preview
"Yank and Shank" is strangely more satisfying than a chainsaw bayonet to the face.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Tales From The Borderlands
Release date: Out Now

Doom
Release date: 05/13/16

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan
Release date: 05/24/16

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Ivory_Soul
Windows 10 Review for Dummies
By Ivory_Soul
Posted on 08/11/15
After all these years, and growing up with Windows 3.1, I have seen an entire evolution of computers and software. Touch screens and large resolutions were a pipe dream just 15 years ago. Now it's the norm. Going from a Packard Bell (yes, before HP) that couldn't run 3D Ultra Mini...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Metal Gear Solid V: Your opinion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksonmorenos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Metal Gear Solid V: Your opinion Reply with quote

As a MGS fan that beat MGSV not long ago on the PS4, I would like to know the opinion of other fans about the game.
Personally, I have very mixed opinions about it.
I didn't like it, but at the same time, I did.
Story-wise, I thought it was the weakest of the series, I didn't really like the twist even if it does kind of make sense as to why would Big Boss do it.
Gameplay-wise, however, it's the best of the entire series, I had so much fun playing MGSV. I mean, the many ways you can beat a mission, how to sneak past enemies, how to take them down, the buddies you use, the 80's music you can play on your iDroid, I had a lot of fun with all of that and still do, really.
What did you guys think of the game?
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was not a bad game, but it was ultimately disappointing. MGSV was Game Revolution's Game of the Year 2015, which I completely disagree with, but it is what it is - http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/best-of-2015-awards-game-of-the-year

I'll start with the positives.

The graphics were absolutely insane. The game ran at a silky smooth 60 FPS. Items and equipment could be upgraded. The game play was non-linear and for the first time in an MGS game, the player roamed a sandbox environment. The unlockable soundtrack was great too, I loved being picked up and dropped off by chopper to "Take On Me" and "The Final Countdown". The actual controls were tight, responsive and felt very natural. Definitely the best game play of the series.

Now, the negatives.

Upgrading stuff took way too Goddamn long in terms of real time (console had to be on) and in-game money. Microtransactions were pathetic, "insurance" to protect your base from an unavoidable online play? Bleh. The game play got quite repetitive, especially with the side ops missions, the story is in my opinion among the weakest and most confusing of the MGS series. Despite the game having fifty or so story missions, the story missions starts going down hill after mission thirty, because they all begin to essentially repeat themselves.

Phantom Pain was by no means a bad game, but it was unfortunately an overly hyped, disappointing experience. It's not worthy of Game of the Year, especially when contending with the likes of The Witcher III: Wild Hunt and Fallout 4.

It's funny I talk about MGSV like this, considering my display picture is a cartoon of "Punished" Venom Snake giving the finger - http://www.gamerevolution.com/comics/gr-strips-74-need-a-lift-34669

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weak bosses. Weak storytelling...not so much weak story. Or should I say weak compared to previous entries!

You know all those tapes that you can play of the story unfolding? Golden tapes on memory? I reckon Kojima wanted to have them as cutscenes...but it didn't happen for some reason.

I miss codec convos...but I think they need to get rid of them in order to keep up with modern gameplay (but maybe have the faces in the corner or something?!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed TPP, but I do agree that storywise it is the weakest in the series. Or like MattAY said, the storyTELLING is weak. The story itself is pretty good. And the gameplay was just fantastic. I haven't played TPP in a couple of months now because I'm trying to focus on other games, but I still get the craving to do so now and then. It was just so much fun.

Really, Kojima started going this route with Peace Walker. The majority of the story and information came from tapes, you had Mother Base to upgrade by Fulton capturing enemy soldiers or POWs, buying upgrades, etc. TPP was just the next logical step from there.

Honestly, I wish the repeat missions with restrictions had been presented as Side Ops rather than normal Missions. If they had been presented that way, it might have gone a little smoother with some people.

And yeah, definitely the worst bosses of all the MGS games. Really, there just weren't all that many. Quiet, The Man on Fire, maybe 3 Skull fights, some of which you can avoid, and Sahelanthropus. And I guess the insanity of Quiet's last mission could count as a boss fight in a way. It was certainly difficult for me to get through at the time, anyway. There should have been more unique boss fights, especially for the MGS series which was known for them.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combat and the different ways the enemy engaged you depending on how you engaged them was brilliant. It became a giant fame of chess where the enemy actually thought about what you were doing and reacted accordingly. I felt like three added such great gameplay with four not really innovating it. This was leaps and strides beyond and did after jobrising above the camp grade system of 3 and 4 while still incorporating pieces of it. The gun customization is great too.

The story had all the pieces but none of the time. Looking at the way this came out in pieces with Ground Zeroes and the TPP. i get the feeling it was supposed to all be one game but Konami was getting itchy to turn some profit.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the game wasn't rushed then it'll be on par with the other MGS games but with a more fluid and open game play. It was kinda crummy how Konami treated Kojima. First Silent hills PT and MGS V. Two games with a lot of potential but ultimately got cancelled or rushed respectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: