More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14


LATEST FEATURES An Updating List of PlayStation 4 Updates We Want
Sony and Microsoft have been updating their consoles regularly, but we wanted to share our own ideas for updating the PS4 firmware.

An Updating List of Xbox One Updates We Want
Microsoft has launched Xbox One and done its best to follow Sony's lead and its even secured some exclusive software, but we want more.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.
 
Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Lolwut?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rakon
Tastes like burning


Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Posts: 3478

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Lolwut? Reply with quote

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865583185/Utah-lawmaker-calls-for-end-of-compulsory-education.html

Like srsly br0?
_________________
NATURE! - Goulet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince


Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 7896

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why we think before we speak, children.

I, being someone who was stuck in a rut in public schools that couldn't cater to my educational needs, can see why he dislikes compulsory education. However, the evidence of what happens to kids and their families when they aren't sent to school is present all around the world. It seems to me that he's looked at third-world countries, where under-privileged kids enjoy getting to go to school, and expects Americans to act the same. Wishful thinking, but drastically misguided.
_________________

o--(^-^)--o
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Hubmaier



Joined: 08 Apr 2013
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How 'bout vouchers instead? Fix the issue by letting parents/guardians choose what school their kid goes to mebbe?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3235

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with making school not mandatory is that there is some kind of assumption that these kids would be able to make that decision themselves. Legally, they don't even have that ability since they're not adults. So, I'm not sure how this would work.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my state, High School was like a prison sentence. My state refuses to allow anyone to take the GED before they are 17. I didn't learn a single thing in high school. It was one long prison sentence of showing up to a institution where I didn't learn anything(I mostly slept through classes and still got good grades). By the time I turned 17 It just wasn't worth it to drop out and get my GED because I was so close to graduating.

My first semester of senior year of highschool I needed half a credit to graduate early in december. The school refused to let me take a early before school class, a after school class, or even a college class and let it count for that half a credit.

So at that point, being in what I considered serving time, I decided to game the system. My school has a rule that lowers your quarterly letter grades for every 5 days of school you miss. So that last semester I showed up for class all first quarter and mostly got Bs. Then the second quarter I barely showed up for school at all calling in sick every day, and didn't do any homework, which made the school drop that quarters grades to Fs. Well your final grade is your first quarter plus your second quarter and then plus your final exam grade then averaged.
I passed all my exams and graduated.

The school board had to add to the rule, because of me, the next year. Now if you miss 20 days your expelled.


I tried anything to move onto college. A point in school in which I would actually learn something. Really though, I was forced to endure four years of serving time learning NOTHING. It really felt like serving time in a prison(They even built a brand new school with concrete walls shaped like a prison, Windows that don't open, Doors that are always locked, and even the parking lot was fenced in with flood lights on at night.)
I always get this feeling that I was being used as just a body for the school to extract more taxpayer money.

I'm all for giving people a education and even allowing parents to choose where and how their kids get an education But we shouldn't make it compulsory like in my state that if you are intelligent you can't test your way out of school and into college. I understand in some states they do allow you to do this, this is more of just my example from the state of Illinois.




I do agree that the news article makes me scratch my head. I think a "good education" is very important and is very possibly one of the best investments you can make for the future of our society.
_________________
“Yeah but when does EA come in when your trying for auto erotic asphyxiation and decide that you are really trying to commit suicide? Then they force you to do what they want.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3235

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
In my state, High School was like a prison sentence. My state refuses to allow anyone to take the GED before they are 17. I didn't learn a single thing in high school. It was one long prison sentence of showing up to a institution where I didn't learn anything(I mostly slept through classes and still got good grades). By the time I turned 17 It just wasn't worth it to drop out and get my GED because I was so close to graduating.

My first semester of senior year of highschool I needed half a credit to graduate early in december. The school refused to let me take a early before school class, a after school class, or even a college class and let it count for that half a credit.

So at that point, being in what I considered serving time, I decided to game the system. My school has a rule that lowers your quarterly letter grades for every 5 days of school you miss. So that last semester I showed up for class all first quarter and mostly got Bs. Then the second quarter I barely showed up for school at all calling in sick every day, and didn't do any homework, which made the school drop that quarters grades to Fs. Well your final grade is your first quarter plus your second quarter and then plus your final exam grade then averaged.
I passed all my exams and graduated.

The school board had to add to the rule, because of me, the next year. Now if you miss 20 days your expelled.


I tried anything to move onto college. A point in school in which I would actually learn something. Really though, I was forced to endure four years of serving time learning NOTHING. It really felt like serving time in a prison(They even built a brand new school with concrete walls shaped like a prison, Windows that don't open, Doors that are always locked, and even the parking lot was fenced in with flood lights on at night.)
I always get this feeling that I was being used as just a body for the school to extract more taxpayer money.

I'm all for giving people a education and even allowing parents to choose where and how their kids get an education But we shouldn't make it compulsory like in my state that if you are intelligent you can't test your way out of school and into college. I understand in some states they do allow you to do this, this is more of just my example from the state of Illinois.




I do agree that the news article makes me scratch my head. I think a "good education" is very important and is very possibly one of the best investments you can make for the future of our society.


wow, that's.... ridiculous. In my state, washington, you can easily just test out of high school and go to college if you really want to. You can also go to community college and earn your AA while you're still in high school, and have those credits count for both. What I ended up doing was taking art classes once I'd finished all my required credits. easy senior year was nice. In retrospect, I should have done running start (the community college shit) instead of AP classes. Could have gotten my AA and then done two undergraduate degrees instead of one. Would have allowed me to pick up a degree in a field where I'm basically guaranteed a job, instead of just music.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 2013

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that lives in washington, he is trying to get me to move out there after I finish college. He is up in Port Angeles.


Luckily I'm going to school for network engineering. Lots of tech jobs.
_________________
“Yeah but when does EA come in when your trying for auto erotic asphyxiation and decide that you are really trying to commit suicide? Then they force you to do what they want.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madster111
The Original Pie Lover


Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 6261

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education is compulsory in Australia up to year 10 in high school, although we have a tendency to not do it in a stupid way.
It's designed to be more flexible than what sourdeez described. You can drop out of highschool whenever you want and just get the equivalent or better training at a TAFE, which is like a college but you only take the courses you want for however long they go for and it's much, much cheaper.

So in Australia we tend to have people with less general knowledge in exchange for more specialists.
This is a decent enough trade-off, considering most people who opt for the TAFE route go to year 10 before leaving. I think i'm right in saying that Year 10 for Aus is roughly equivalent in terms of things taught to a mixture of Year 11/12 in the US school system, depending on which courses you choose.


I think school should be compulsory up to a point. At roughly 16yo most people can make the choice regarding how they want their education to go, so forcing them to do it after a certain point doesn't make sense.
The problem with that stems from shit schools with shit teachers teaching boring shit. If even half the things i've heard about US schools are true, i don't know if it would work over there because everyone would GTFO as soon as they could.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWqy3DOnuA

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 15756

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched to a charter school because I didn't give a shit about public schools. Worked out well for me.

There should just be options besides regular public school. Except unschooling, which is bullshit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars


Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 3235

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
I have a friend that lives in washington, he is trying to get me to move out there after I finish college. He is up in Port Angeles.


Luckily I'm going to school for network engineering. Lots of tech jobs.


Don't go to Port Angeles. Just don't do that.
_________________
Kapow wrote:
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 11523

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...I hate to be that guy, but he has a point.

Well, mainly on the parent's burden. Up in New York, my few experiences on the other side in the Board of Ed have shown that general apathy and lack of support from the parents to reinforce learning and in some cases, behavior leads to the breakdown of teachers. In some respects he is correct, learning should be an opportunity.

hes wrong in his approach though, to the point where making school optional, people will essentially doom themselves to trade and technical schools at best, or a GED- equivalent. If that is what you want of course thats a fair option, but as those jobs become filled in about 5-10 years it won't be economically viable. If you really want to change the system, three things need to happen.

1. Stop treating schools like controlled prisons, and the students and teachers prisoners.

2. Give the teachers more resources, abilities and respect to actually teach students through diverse tactics.

3. eliminate standardized testing, which is never a fair indicator of ability or aptitude.

This will not only make public schools more palpable but will increase the teacher/student/parent relationship to where such frustration will not matter anymore. Tell tat to the bureaucracy of the BOE in each state though...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rakon
Tastes like burning


Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Posts: 3478

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an example of the mindset "It isn't working, so let's get rid of it".

The American education system is broken in so many ways I'm not going to even try and list them here. But it is a system that is designed to fail it's students (not give them failing grades, but fail them in general).

Kids need an education. They need structure. Giving a 12 year old the option of going to school or playing CoD all day? I think I know which one they'll go with. It's insane to just let kids drop out and do nothing. That breeds crime. Giving kids the option of education is probably the worst idea I've ever heard of in my life.

The system is broken, so fix it. Don't abandon it.
_________________
NATURE! - Goulet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chris_Crime



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Posts: 3806

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not broken, it's bent.
The rich have the luxury of having better schools, and all that comes with like better security, general digs and manageable class size ratios, good teachers and better equipment and funding, and the poorer counties, poorer districts get the shit end of the stick.

That's not the wealthy's fault, not even blaming them. Maybe the County Commissioners can answer to these issues better, but things are always better on one side of town vs. the other. Again, not the wealthy's fault. Not blaming rich people for being rich.

I'm always meeting a new foreigner who got his or her degree on the cheap in their home country, who are now here in America and are struggling to find work. On the other hand America has some nice Universities for those who are lucky enough to attend. It's not broken, it's funneling out the unwanted.

The Utah lawmaker is speaking against teachers, not education. He's making a blow at unions, not children. It's a lofty attempt, laughable even, but meh, it got him headlines. It amounts to nothing but message board banter.

Most populated countries in descending order

1 China 1,336,718,015 = consisting of one race
2 India 1,189,172,906 = consisting of one race
3 United States 313,232,044 = consisting of six races*
4 Indonesia 245,613,043 = consisting of one race
5 Brazil 203,429,773 = consisting of one race
6 Pakistan 187,342,721 = consisting of one race
7 Bangladesh 158,570,535 = consisting of one race
8 Nigeria 155,215,573 = consisting of one race

*white, latino, black, asian, native american, hawaiian or islander
3rd largest country, consisting of 6 different races.
This doesn't even include foreigners. This is an actual breakdown of American demographics vs. others rocking a 1 demographic for basically 100% of their makeup.

Point being, this is how much Murrica really sucks. Our education is bent, it's tipped in favor of the rich-just like every other country on this planet. Poland has great laws, great school districts, great vacation time for their employees? Well shit, they're only 38.5 million living there, making it the 34th most populous country in the world. I'm pretty sure they can afford it.


Your country has no people, and you're full of do nothings nobodies doing nothing for nobody except railing against those silly Murricans, and that's a great position to be in. I'm envious of you for that. I wish we were more like what you wish for. The less America stays out of the world's affairs, the better. Just like in Egypt. We actually gave a lot less than many other countries in aid, but anything we give is too much for some. Understood, but that's an entirely different ball of wax. Anyway, let's stop sending aid that in turn buys more Boeing and Lockheed "goods and services" aka corporate welfare aka buying the vote, and spend that money on infrastructure and, yes, American schools.

"Let them handle it." That'll be the America they'd hate the most.
The American dollar is still the world's reserve currency. do you even care?


Literacy Rate All/Male/Female/Criteria

_________________
яёvоlт
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum