More Reviews
REVIEWS Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapph Review
In some way, Pokémon and the relationships they form with their trainers wind up teaching the player something completely different than what you might suspect.

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Review
Batman and friends team up for another Lego adventure.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Silence: The Whispered World II Preview
With its absolutely gorgeous sequel, Daedalic aims to create a mid-range difficulty adventure title that will expand the genre to a larger audiences.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Release date: Out Now

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Release date: 12/02/14

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Release date: 12/16/14

Kalimba
Release date: 12/17/14

LATEST FEATURES Black Friday 2014 Video Game Deals Buyer's Guide
Looking to score the most bang for your buck the day after Thanksgiving? Well look no further! Our Black Friday guide is just the tool you need.

With Two Paths to Walk This Fall, I Recommend Assassins Play AC Unity Over AC Rogue
For fans of this series, it'll be a decision based on hardware. For enthusiasts, returning to the brand's roots will prove enticing.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
Wish List for Fallout 4
By oblivion437
Posted on 11/24/14
So I promised that list and here it is.  It's late and it's not as thorough as I'd hoped.  I also wish I had images handy to illustrate every point where helpful.  So, in no particular order - a subjective set of desired features for Fallout 4: Things to...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kids today can't beat world 1-1 of the original Super Mario.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Kids today can't beat world 1-1 of the original Super Mario. Reply with quote

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/new-gamers-cant-beat-first-level-of-original-super-mario-game-nintendo-boss-says/article13100742/

Quote:
90 per cent of participants in a test couldn’t finish the first level on the original Super Mario Bros. game on the Nintendo Entertainment System.

“We watched the replay videos of how the gamers performed and saw that many did not understand simple concepts like bottomless pits,” he was translated as saying. “Around 70 per cent died to the first Goomba. Another 50 per cent died twice. Many thought the coins were enemies and tried to avoid them. Also, most of them did not use the run button. There were many other depressing things we noted but I cannot remember them at the moment.”

The report went on to say that when Nintendo asked test participants what they could do to make the game better, many said they “wanted the game to be easier.” Some of them were said to have mistaken it for a new game, and said they wanted better graphics. Others purportedly still said Mario should start the game off with a sword or a gun.

TL;DR kids are dumb.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to play the New Super Mario Bros, but I'm sure the concept is similar. So, how to kids feel about the New Super Mario Bros?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God that is depressing.

"So you mean you don't fling Mario at things and break them?"
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start Mario off with a gun, haha.

I'm not all that surprised, video games have gotten easier and easier. The point in New Super Mario Bros Wii U is to collect coins. I think by the time I got through the first world I had almost 50 lives. Kids today have no concept of limited continues and when it's Game Over you have to start all the way from the beginning.

Also when I was 6 I found Super Mario Bros to be really hard. However I could still get through 1-1 LOL.

Now The Lost Levels (aka Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan) was retarded. I played it in All-Stars when I was a kid and could not get pass world 1-1. To this day the furthest I ever got was 1-3
C_nate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just kids. I've gotten worse myself. =(

I remember when I was a kid I beat Super Mario 2 and it was a huge deal to me cause that game was such a pain in the ass. Fast forward a couple of years and the same deal with Sonic & Knuckles.

I bought both of them off the wii console for some good ol fashioned nostalgia and I can't get through them again. I was like, wow when did I start to suck so bad at games?

But you also have to remember that a lot of those early games were ports of arcade games. They were designed for you to die a lot so you'd keep putting quarters in the machine.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old were these testers? Were they 4?
Because seriously, my 7 year old niece kicks wholesale ass in Minecraft. She lures creepers into TNT traps to see what sort of explosions she can get, so she could probably figure out the concept of 'avoid monster things, collect coins'.

Also, there is no run button. It's a myth, designed to make people who can't get past 1-3 feel bad.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article doesn't seem to disclose some important info. I not convinced it's real. However, I wouldn't be surprised if kids these days can't play Super Mario Bros, or simply don't want to.

o--(^-^)--o
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys the kids tested were gamers and it's meant to show how easy games are today that they can't even defeat the first level of Super Mario Bros. I am also very rusty and there are many NES games that are impossible for me to finish. But not completing world 1-1 is just embarrassing.

And De-Ting, The Globe and Mail is a very credible newspaper that serves all of Canada.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't it be .ca?

o--(^-^)--o
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I look like, a fucking nerd?
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update: The original article that reported translated quotes from Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata was intended as satire.

daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kid beat super Mario Bros on his DS.

#putthatinyourpipe

WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
What do I look like, a fucking nerd?

Sigged!
Eyebrowsbv31
xXRaNd_PaUl_420Xx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got far in mario games, but I did better than that. I did beat Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 though for the SNES, those fuckers were hard.

I'm currently stuck on Bongo Bongo in Zelda....
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original mario 1 game? I've beat it but its a lot less enjoyable than the way Mario Bros 3 handled.

Every couple years I fire up Super Mario World in a snes emulator and 100% it. Such a good game.

I'd like to watch anyone today finish battletoads without getting angry.
Gunner37
Mr. Manga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
The original mario 1 game? I've beat it but its a lot less enjoyable than the way Mario Bros 3 handled.

Every couple years I fire up Super Mario World in a snes emulator and 100% it. Such a good game.

I'd like to watch anyone today finish battletoads without getting angry.

I would like to see anyone finish battletoads
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyebrowsbv31 wrote:
I never got far in mario games, but I did better than that. I did beat Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2 though for the SNES, those fuckers were hard.

I'm currently stuck on Bongo Bongo in Zelda....

How the hell did you manage the minecart ride in DK1, and not Bongo Bongo?! God dammit man...that minecart ride.
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, did you get past World 1-1 on the first try? I know I didn't do it probably because my dad kept sabotaging my attempts to jump a pit.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... has anyone caught the fact that the article said the report is fake? Here are some articles from the website this quote came from:

"Using Babysitting Mama as a Babysitting Guide Leaves 25 Babies Dead Annually"

"Female Protagonist Game Jam Cancelled After Devs Spend Most of Their Time on Breast Jiggle Physics"

"Children Who Pick a Side in Console Wars Are 90 Percent More Likely to Join a Gang"
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenBacon wrote:
"Children Who Pick a Side in Console Wars Are 90 Percent More Likely to Join a Gang"

Perfectly represents the childhood i can remember.

All those west side punks with their xboxes...

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: