More Reviews
REVIEWS Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfa Review
[PlayStation release update] Electronic Arts and the development team at EA Canada hope to catch as many PlayStation gamers as they did when Garden Warfare first launched exclusively on Xbox One.

CounterSpy Review
Your operative is tasked with infiltrating both sides of nuclear war. Can CounterSpy finish the mission in time for your PSN credit?
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: Out Now

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: Out Now

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

LATEST FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Nom Nom Galaxy

The Best Upcoming Racing Games of 2014
You've probably only heard of Sony's exclusive Driveclub and Microsoft's exclusive Forza Horizon 2, but don't forget about a few others.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 08/14/14
Robin Williams (1951-2014) Robin Williams was an absolutely exceptional comedian, talented actor, and holder of a special place in video game history: He was the first really famous gamer I know of. I’m sure there were others, but they kept a comparatively low profile, unlike one...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I like to pretend.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pres50

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: I like to pretend. Reply with quote

So you'll notice a lot of first person shooters these days have implemented the regenerating health technique. The first time I really noticed this way of health loss and regain was when I played Halo for the original Xbox console. The game implemented this feature very smartly in my opinion as you were wearing a suit that had immense power and armor structure just to name a few things. I liked how you did have health though, that's what still made it believable, because when your shield was down and trying o regenerate you had to make sure as shit you weren't taking much damage or else you would lose health bars which would eventually lead to your ultimate demise. Problems I am having these days with the whole regenerating health is it makes less sense than actually having a health bar.

You take a bunch of bullets like the sponge you are, soak them in like the terminator as you find a place to hide and voila you are back in the game in 5 seconds or so 100 percent. In my opinion its just a lazy way to make a health system these days so I pretend that in these games that when you die it is from just one bullet.

Let me explain why, because if you think about it it would make more sense that when your are being shot and your screen is growing ever so red it is because you are in the danger zone and bullets are very close to you (but not hitting you, even though they actually are in the game, that's where the whole pretend part comes in) signaling that you will be hit with a bullet soon and die which is when in reality you have taken 30 shots. I know it may not make sense to everyone but hey I'm trying.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health regen is there to keep the pace of the game so that you won't have to find a health pack. While a health bar is there so that if you fuck up you won't have to restart the level.

Oh, Delta Force, you are so brutal with your no health bar/regen system. Rainbow Six and SWAT was the same way. Pretty much if you take a full AK burst to the torso, you're dead.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...ok. If you play a game on the hardest difficulty does it not kill you instantly when shields are down after one shot?

I like games that let me sponge bullets, because I suck at video games.

PS - you're not black.
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know any games that has shields so... I guess? Does it also make enemies into bullet sponges themselves?
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to pretend I'm an astronaut battling aliens. With shields.

Health regeneration is when games got ridiculously easy. What was once an anxiety attack on the NES/SNES as you tried to stay alive until the next health pick up is now a simple "Oh I'm shot? 'Scuse me while I hide behind this rock. Dum-de-do, ok I'm cool."
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjim2000 wrote:
Oh, Delta Force, you are so brutal with your no health bar/regen system. Rainbow Six and SWAT was the same way. Pretty much if you take a full AK burst to the torso, you're dead.

I was playing Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, and Delta Force: Team Sabre not long ago. Both of those have health bars, which can be regenerated with health packs. However, if you get shot, you're often fucked because the health bar is so minuscule that it only really helps you if you just get winged (at least on the higher difficulties). So, in that regard it's pretty realistic.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, it's about as realistic as running over a magic box with a + sign or a piece of chicken, and suddenly being healthy again.

Video games are funny. Would it make more sense if you had to visit a medic and sit out while the game goes on without you every time you get substantially injured?

If it's just a matter of being challenging, then there's plenty of older games out there that do just that, and even some new ones like Resistance 3.

o--(^-^)--o
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your theory. I'm going to use it from now on.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I killed this thread with all my enthusiasm.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Jack the Ripper, you did.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually think of something different when it comes to "playing pretend." Though that's not appropriate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: