More Reviews
REVIEWS Hatoful Boyfriend Review
Before this review, there seemed to be an absence of a certain ornithological piece; a headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety...

Murasaki Baby Review
When a little girl with an upside-down face finds a balloon, you better protect it from monsters!
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Xbox One Exclusive D4 TGS Hands-On - I Can't Put My Arms Down!
But unlike Randy, we don't have layers of coats to hold them up for us.

Assassin's Creed Unity Interview: Ubisoft Talks Multplayer, Next-Gen Development, More
Ubisoft's first "truly" next-gen entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise takes the fight to France. Here's what you can expect.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
A Letter to the Big “N"
By shandog137
Posted on 09/12/14
I have and will continue to have a place in my heart for Nintendo. In fact, my first console was a Super Nintendo. The video game market has changed drastically since the early '90s and it seems like what once was platinum is more so along the lines of silver now. Nintendo has always been...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is the PS4 more powerful than Xbone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Is the PS4 more powerful than Xbone? Reply with quote

Yes.
Yes it is.

"Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven't had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we're 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we're native 1080p on PS4. We optimised each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both. Still on the road, but glad to see the great reception to Extinction. Can't wait for next week's launch."

That's a pretty huge difference, guys.

Not even native 1080p?
Real great job, Microsoft. I look forward to mid-2014 when fucking netbooks are just as powerful (see: haswell refresh)

There's one good thing in all this, though. At least they went for 60FPS @ 720p instead of 30FPS @ 1080p.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS4 more powerful than Xbone? Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
There's one good thing in all this, though. At least they went for 60FPS @ 720p instead of 30FPS @ 1080p.

/thread

Seems like these are launch games that had to make concessions to stay playable.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is the PS4 more powerful than Xbone? Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
Seems like these are launch games that had to make concessions to stay playable.

Yep. It will look fine on both but nothing like what games on these systems will look like in two years.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen more hushed, gossipy, whispering in some circles. This was such a huge blow to Xbox... NOT.

When you get beyond a million consumers buying your game day 1, you're no longer concerned with what gamers on the internet think because you're shooting for consumers well beyond GameRevolution or Kotaku's reach. How many years did reviewers say "well, this year's madden is better, but not that much better..." and how many years did people millions of people buy successive versions of Madden? How many are still doing that?

The hardware is much more important here. If Xbox One launches and everyone gets a frozen console, that'll be the headline. That's what each of these guys are trying to control at this point.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I talk to my friends or acquaintances about future gaming hardware purchases. We always talk about 1. game exclusives and 2. which hardware is more powerful.

and now 3. If it has shitty DRM restrictions and a camera watching you.(Microsoft back tracked and removed them thankfully.)
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
2. which hardware is more powerful.

Totally. But for cross-platform third-party games, this generation has proven that it rarely matters. And a cross-gen cross-platform launch title? Forget about it.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the PS4 more powerful than Xbone? Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
I look forward to mid-2014 when fucking netbooks are just as powerful (see: haswell refresh)

To be honest I don't really see this as hurting the consoles as much as people think. Pc gamers have gotten the best bang for the buck for generations and yet people continue to buy consoles and settle with the outdated hardware and graphics.

Maybe that advancement of hardware and steambox will change things.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
Sourdeez wrote:
2. which hardware is more powerful.

Totally. But for cross-platform third-party games, this generation has proven that it rarely matters. And a cross-gen cross-platform launch title? Forget about it.

I think they put that message out there earlier this year at the multiplayer event. 60 FPS, 60 FPS... Call of Duty has always been about this right? I'm not at all surprised by the 720p thing and I'm sure Microsoft isn't either. That's why they money-hatted EA and took BF away from PS. Now CoD is in this awkward position and Microsoft is like "BF you can't talk shit about them because you're both our babies now."
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys underestimate what this means.

Think about all the frat boys who don't know how to internet.
They go into Gamestop to buy a xbone with CoD and look at the displays...
Only to notice that the PS4 version looks better and is cheaper.

It's not just internet users who are gonna notice this, it's the general game buying public as well. Employees for stores are gonna have to be honest 'which one is better?'
'Well, the cheaper one has better looking games...'
And that's gonna get everyone noticing. Do you think parents are gonna be happy to fork over the extra $100 if they think little billy's gonna get a better experience on the cheaper console?
If only Sony had've kept the online free, it would've helped swing the decision even more.

Too many games these days are cross platform for exclusives to matter as much as you guys think. What does the Xbox have over the PSx? Halo?
Ain't no one give a shit about Halo anymore. Forza is awesome, yes, but i've played Forza 5 and it's shit. I genuinely do not see it being much better than GT6hd (or whatever they call the PS4 release of GT6), providing those dickheads at Polyphony actually make the cars sound like CARS this time.

As for the whole 'games will look better in 2 years' argument - yeah, they will look better on the xbone in 2 years than they do now.
And the PS4 is still gonna be more powerful and thus better looking in 2 years.

You guys played an Xbone? Did you dislike the new controller like me?
I think they went, like, 5% too small on it. Made it feel ever so slightly awkward. To be fair this might help them with that all-important 12-17yo demographic, but i remember being 13/14 and not having any complaints about the 360 controller.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frat boys are going to play this on 360, natch. Nice try, though.

I didn't read the rest of your post because I never do.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the PS3 and 360 were released did we have games that looked like LA Noire, The Last of Us and GTA V? No, no we did not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: