More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

LATEST FEATURES An Updating List of PlayStation 4 Updates We Want
Sony and Microsoft have been updating their consoles regularly, but we wanted to share our own ideas for updating the PS4 firmware.

An Updating List of Xbox One Updates We Want
Microsoft has launched Xbox One and done its best to follow Sony's lead and its even secured some exclusive software, but we want more.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GR Competitors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: GR Competitors Reply with quote

A Question to the Gods of GR:

What sites do you guys feel like are your competitors?

Do you guys have any interest in generating video content (not from the angle you think I'm coming from) like more walkthroughs and Tutorials?

League of Legends
Terraria
Warframe
Battlefield 4
Monster Hunter
The Sims

What content (FAQ'S, Articles, reviews, and/or Forums/community) do you feel like is your strongest draw?

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great questions -

I'd have to say that in terms of traffic, we even view Polygon as a competitor, because they're not that much more than us despite millions being thrown at it. In terms of content, I feel like Destructoid and GameRanx are competitors to us. But for the most part, we see all sites as competition—it's just the way of the internet, unfortunately.

Yes, we do have interest in generating more video content. We're always looking for video content, but don't always have the resources for it since they require a good deal of time. If we only had someone more committed to this type of content on a regular basis, we'd produce as much of it as we could afford.

Currently, our cheats draw the lion's share of our traffic, but I'd say our reviews are the biggest draw—they're what GR's known for, which is why we take our review process so seriously. We're hard at work trying to gain more traffic for things like our features and news articles, and less the FAQs/cheats of the past. They're a dying breed anyway, because people would rather watch a walkthrough on Youtube than read through a "cheat" page that doesn't even really provide many cheat codes, since so few games use them anymore.

That's answering you as candidly as I possibly can.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on doing more video content, I suggest you look at where I do writing for, Blistered Thumbs, which is a subsidiary for CA.

If you do go for it, look at the shows that are successful and why, mostly entertainment value or discussion, community interaction, and so forth.
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, am I the only the one that watches GR Wrap up with Jessica and Alisa?
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even heard of it.
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:

link please

Also, the GRind was great.

De-Ting wrote:

WickedLiquid wrote:
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:

Yes.

Also, GR should team up with Ustream and have a featured GR streamers column. I'd stream like crazy (from my PC, since that's all I know how to do) if that was a thing. Or just do video review diaries. Like, just have a camera on you while you're playing a game, and then splice together 3 minutes of footage from it all. That way, you aren't purposely trying to be entertaining like with the "watch the first 15 minutes" stuff, and it's natural.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMasque wrote:
the GRind was great.

Nope.

UghRochester wrote:

What is this?
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a wrap up of what happened this week from two females with an exception of Ninja Nick Tan, SKYRIM! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5f-EyBg_vM

Oh and that's a great suggestion. However, I don't think Dan would ever want to video record himself simultaneously while playing a game. I do that, because it shows the raw reaction towards something.
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
UrbanMasque wrote:
the GRind was great.

Nope.

It was an exploration into something new, and I didn't think it was terrible.

De-Ting wrote:

WickedLiquid wrote:
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMasque wrote:
UghRochester wrote:

link please

Also, the GRind was great.

I'm glad you liked the Grind. It went on to win a bunch of awards. I'm dying to start up another season of it, but it cost a fortune to produce, so we'd need a sponsor on board before we could commit. Definitely looking into producing more of them.
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
UghRochester wrote:

Yes.

Also, GR should team up with Ustream and have a featured GR streamers column. I'd stream like crazy (from my PC, since that's all I know how to do) if that was a thing. Or just do video review diaries. Like, just have a camera on you while you're playing a game, and then splice together 3 minutes of footage from it all. That way, you aren't purposely trying to be entertaining like with the "watch the first 15 minutes" stuff, and it's natural.

Video is going to be more of a focus in next year's strategy. That said, I like this idea and will explore it.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's of any interest to you guys, the only other gaming website I really read regularly is Kotaku. And then whatever ECA links to in their daily newsletter.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:
. I do that, because it shows the raw reaction towards something.

I think that's what people want to see - and hear your mumblings of frustration when you try the same thing 20times and wonder why it doesn't work.

Would it work to allow us to embed Videos from the various sites (original content) inside our blog postings? Would it be too much effort to allow this?

De-Ting wrote:

WickedLiquid wrote:
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was just randomly browsing the GRandmasters segment and noticed a bit of talks about video on GameRevolution.

Personally I'd love to offer my skills to produce video on GameRevolution along with GR Strips but unfortunately as Anthony pointed out earlier, video can potentially take up a lot of time and sadly I don't have the time to try and do video as well, although it'd be great fun. If I had the time I'd love to try and help there. Damn full time work.

I've never heard of GR Wrap Up with Jessica and Alisa but I checked out the link Ugh provided. It wasn't bad. I don't mean to sound rude but I do have some suggestions regarding how to possibly further improve it, should Jessica and Alisa wish to continue GR Wrap Up or start it again.

It may be a bit hypocritical of me to say this since I said before I don't really have the time to create/edit videos but if anyone is interested (particularly the staff of GR) I can maybe try and offer... I dunno, "training" so to speak (perhaps via documentation and e-mail correspondence) in regards to video editing techniques, software, shooting/filming techniques etc. When I say training, it wouldn't be a course or anything... just me trying to help. Razz

I agree with Ugh and UrbanMasque, a sort of "let's play" video that has the staff of GR playing a game with a separate in-video showing them actually playing it (and thus showing facial expressions and whatnot) would be great too. I can imagine this would be hilarious if playing say... Dark Souls.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
used44

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tuned in to Nick's ESO streams a few times. They're a lot of fun but could be improved by possibly a more consistent schedule or more advertising. Whatever gets more viewers in the chat, because that's when it's the most entertaining.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded.

They should just do a stream night on, like, Tuesdays. Have it set on the schedule, and whoever wants to stream can do it for a few hours.
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Daniel if I was able to use their Twitch stream key to stream some of my games. First and foremost, that would have to be discussed. Secondly, there would have to be a schedule, but I am random.
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think if you're going to do livestreams etc, you need more than one person. There's nothing more annoying than awkward silence or awkward filler.
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:
I asked Daniel if I was able to use their Twitch stream key to stream some of my games. First and foremost, that would have to be discussed. Secondly, there would have to be a schedule, but I am random.

So.. seeing as how everyone except ugh is sooo unwilling to talk about streaming to anywhere other than Twitch - I'd like to talk about a little known feature here on Ustream.

Its called Channel Managers.

Basically, I have one master username, lets call it - GameRev. nested under that account I can make a channel and give specific users (without giving them my login credentials) access to stream to my channel, manage the VODs and auto-recorded streams, schedule events, and edit the page. If you are worried about someone streaming penises you can revoke their access and kill their feed.

additionally, you can program pre-recorded videos to stream live at certain times - as if your scheduling programing into your channel.

Just something to consider.

De-Ting wrote:

WickedLiquid wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> GRandmasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: