More Reviews
REVIEWS Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Rebor Review
Just a small update to the existing review for the PS4 version of the game. What are the benefits to upgrading? Check here to see. ~Ed. Nick Tan

Cut the Rope: Triple Treat Review
Cutting the ropes has never before made gravity so… pricey.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Release date: 05/20/14

LATEST FEATURES 4 PAX Indie Titles to Look Out For
We've given attention to all the higher profile games at PAX EAST, but now it's time for the indies.

Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
So much more than war...
By shandog137
Posted on 04/18/14
The recent blog, Peace in the Era of Call of Duty  really made me think about war games that dig deeper than simply a kill streak reward. The first game that came to mind was Spec-Ops: The Line and although I haven’t played it, I began to wonder if it did the war genre as...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My dying 360, looking for some actual advice this time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klandathu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: My dying 360, looking for some actual advice this time Reply with quote

So I've posted in a couple of page threads about how my Xbox 360 is in the process of no longer working (or at least part of it is, anyway). I wanted to take this opportunity to discuss the issue in more detail in hopes of zoning in on what the actual issue is, if repairing it is financially feasible, or if I should just get a new system (I'm not considering a next-gen console anymore for the moment simply because it's just too much money, and I can't find one anywhere).

I've mentioned before that the problem is currently at the height of annoyance. I recently procured Call of Duty: Ghosts, and I've played the game once for a total of about an hour and a half. It hasn't been able to read the disc since. I experienced similar issues with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, but not anywhere near as bad as it is with Ghosts (and please save the "hur hur, because CoD sux and is for fagz" rhetoric, I'm looking for actual answers here). After a while, BO2 would eventually boot up. Ghosts is refusing to work at all now.

I play-tested a few other games, with varying degrees of success and failure. I put in Bioshock Infinite earlier today to play the DLC, and the game started up just fine as soon as the disc was registered by the reader (I did hit a game-breaking bug early into the gameplay of the DLC, but that's for another thread...). As did Bioshock 2 about a week ago. I popped Modern Warfare 3 in next. This one is hit or miss as well, but it usually starts up just fine after the first few attempts, if not on the first try.

Also, my console will not read or play DVDs. At all. Pop one in and I always get the "Unrecognizable Disc" error, or "Open Tray" like there's not a disc in the tray at all.

I've tried every single step on Microsoft's self-troubleshooting page (short of sending it in for repair) so please don't point me in that direction.

Much obliged for any help!
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Klandathu, are you anywhere near a metropolitan area? Definitely look on Craigslist. There are plenty of shady people out there willing and ready to flash your console or mod it with a hard drive with 100 games installed and all that bull shit, but there are also people offering to repair consoles, clean consoles, replace parts, etc. I would e-mail them, say you have your console, it's getting old, what would they do if you asked them to clean and check for any needed maintenance, how much would it cost? Etc. Ask yourself if that's worth it, see if they can provide any references.

I live in the bay area so there are professional shops to people in their garages to the pirate offers, but depending on where you live the results might be different in your searches.

I had disc read and tray-opening problems with my Xbox 360 maybe six months ago. I cracked open the case, tried to open it as much as I could, and came to a point where I didn't have the right tool. I just stuck the can of compressed air at the vent and blasted it. Tons and tons of dust came out. I'm sure there's hair and bugs and all kinds of shit in there. A proper cleaning could probably do wonders.
Klandathu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
Hey Klandathu, are you anywhere near a metropolitan area? Definitely look on Craigslist. There are plenty of shady people out there willing and ready to flash your console or mod it with a hard drive with 100 games installed and all that bull shit, but there are also people offering to repair consoles, clean consoles, replace parts, etc. I would e-mail them, say you have your console, it's getting old, what would they do if you asked them to clean and check for any needed maintenance, how much would it cost? Etc. Ask yourself if that's worth it, see if they can provide any references.

I live in the bay area so there are professional shops to people in their garages to the pirate offers, but depending on where you live the results might be different in your searches.

I had disc read and tray-opening problems with my Xbox 360 maybe six months ago. I cracked open the case, tried to open it as much as I could, and came to a point where I didn't have the right tool. I just stuck the can of compressed air at the vent and blasted it. Tons and tons of dust came out. I'm sure there's hair and bugs and all kinds of shit in there. A proper cleaning could probably do wonders.

Nah, I'm about two hours from Columbus (the nearest metro area), but I'm sure there are places in a few nearby smaller cities that do repair work. A buddy of mine who did so professionally for a while took it apart and cleaned the whole system several months ago when it first started, but it didn't help one bit. He seems to think that it's just getting old and is on its last leg. The tray still sticks and it still has trouble reading. I just don't understand how the problem is isolated to just DVD's and a handful of specific games.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disc tray is unfortunately the most annoying part to replace due to the firmware and crap.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to scrounge around on ebay and find one going cheap. There's a good chance you'll be able to find a HDMI one without a HDD/cables for less than it would cost to drop a new drive in yours, even if you did everything yourself.

To replace the drive yourself, you'll need to find the exact same model drive for sale (that works - bet over 50% of the ones on ebay and such are just as bad as yours) and have a desktop computer.
Then it's a matter of ripping out the old drive, getting the drive key off it, reflashing the new drive with the key and then putting everything back together.
If you could buy the drives brand new for cheap, it would be a piss easy fix and worth it to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8_F-_a6ko
Klandathu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
The disc tray is unfortunately the most annoying part to replace due to the firmware and crap.

Honestly, your best bet is probably to scrounge around on ebay and find one going cheap. There's a good chance you'll be able to find a HDMI one without a HDD/cables for less than it would cost to drop a new drive in yours, even if you did everything yourself.

To replace the drive yourself, you'll need to find the exact same model drive for sale (that works - bet over 50% of the ones on ebay and such are just as bad as yours) and have a desktop computer.
Then it's a matter of ripping out the old drive, getting the drive key off it, reflashing the new drive with the key and then putting everything back together.
If you could buy the drives brand new for cheap, it would be a piss easy fix and worth it to do.

Sooooo...just buy a new system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: