More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Hand of Fate Preview
Dungeons & Dragons mixed with the Batman: Arkham series... wait, what?!
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

Hohokum
Release date: 08/12/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

LATEST FEATURES Gaming For Good: Charity for the Win
Playing video games for charity is becoming easier everyday. Livestream, join a fundraising guild, or game at your own pace. There are many different ways gamers can contribute to numerous charitable causes.

PlayStation’s Colorful Console Past and Its Bright, White Future
Sony will release the white PlayStation 4 in September, so let's take a walk through the company's hardware history.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
All the PS4 and X-Box One are doing is making me want a WiiU
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: All the PS4 and X-Box One are doing is making me want a WiiU Reply with quote

Yes, of course I'm interested in owning a PS4 or X-Box One but for the past few weeks, I've been more intrigued by the Wii U than ever before. Visually games look great - The new Super Mario World looks beautiful. A next current gen Zelda is very appealing and the lineup of games is getting better. The gamepad is a big selling point for me as I don't always have access to the T.V and playing Ninja Gaiden 3 in front of a 2.7 year old isn't the smartest thing to do.

Of course, I'm still on the fence but now more than ever I'm strongly considering the Wii U. The only downside is the lack of blu ray support, media streaming and all around lack of video format support.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get the lack of media support being a deal-breaker. It does feel like unless you want to play a Nintendo game this new box is just gonna sit under your TV and never do anything.

However, I'm a big proponent of Wii U right now because if you have anything negative to say about PlayStation or Xbox, you gotta tell them by buying their competitor's "non-competition" machine. Giving Nintendo a bump over the next two years would mean consumers are clearly communicating the middle finger to Microsoft and Sony and all their "all-in-one" "always-connected" garbage.

Plus, Super Mario 3D World was fucking great and it runs in 1080p 60fps no problem. I doubt Nintendo will release a game NOT in 1080p 60fps, just because they're taking their time to learn the hardware and do cool stuff with it like they did with 3DS.
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's backwards compatible!

But who am I kidding? Goldeneye never gets played and the only other game I have is Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort.

Is motion control still a big thing with the Wii U?

Another thing that isn't a deal breaker but would be mildly annoying is devs not optomozing the Wii for its power. I imagine instead of tweaking visuals here and there to take advantage of the Wii U it'd be easier and more likely they just port a title over. I don't even feel like the Wii U's full potential has been tapped yet and I'm worried it won't be by 3rd party developers now that the new Sony and MS consoles are out. I feel like they'll really be focusing on those.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
Is motion control still a big thing with the Wii U?

Another thing that isn't a deal breaker but would be mildly annoying is devs not optomozing the Wii for its power. I imagine instead of tweaking visuals here and there to take advantage of the Wii U it'd be easier and more likely they just port a title over. I don't even feel like the Wii U's full potential has been tapped yet and I'm worried it won't be by 3rd party developers now that the new Sony and MS consoles are out. I feel like they'll really be focusing on those.

Not really. You can get Pro controllers for multiplayer but I've only had the GamePad since launch and haven't waggled a single thing.

While yes, the third-party porting thing is a knock against the Wii U, I haven't bought any Nintendo hardware with designs on playing anything other than Nintendo games in like a decade. You're definitely buying Wii U for Nintendo, not for Ubisoft or Electronic Arts or Activision or any of the big third-parties.

HOWEVER, I think the Wii U could have a really interesting indie environment to make up for it just because indie devs will always want to be on a Nintendo system. There's a lot of weird stuff in every week's eShop update, but then there are some gems too.

Japanese developers will also prefer making original games for Wii U than for Xbox One. PS4 might get those titles too though as PS3 always unique, exclusive Japanese made games.
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what amazes me?

Nintendo included a high speed HDMI cable. TAKE THAT SONY AND MS WITH YOUR STUPID RCA CABLES!
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Xbox 1 and PS4 ship with component cables? That's kinda sad.
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:

I don't know if they did. I was just thinking back to the PS3 and X-Box 360. Although the 360 used component I think the PS3 just included the RCA composite cables. MS got a pass with the 360. Sony should have been ashamed.

Actually, the next gen consoles both came with HDMI cables.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
Green_Lantern wrote:

I don't know if they did.

Lethean wrote:
Actually, the next gen consoles both came with HDMI cables.

Lethean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I go with the Wind Waker Deluxe bundle or the Super Mario / Luigi bundle. More value in the Mario bundle but not a very diversified experience. Although I had a tough time getting into Wind Waker on the GC. Maybe because I was expecting it to be more like Ocarina of Time.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally those are the first two games I would get anyway. So whichever. The Zelda gamepad is decorated with gold accents, I believe. So decide whether or not you want that.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
So should I go with the Wind Waker Deluxe bundle or the Super Mario / Luigi bundle. More value in the Mario bundle but not a very diversified experience. Although I had a tough time getting into Wind Waker on the GC. Maybe because I was expecting it to be more like Ocarina of Time.

Well you know what you're going to get with each. If you've enjoyed Mario you'll definitely get some entertainment out of NSMBU+DLC, but Super Mario 3D World is better in my opinion.

Now that you know what to expect with Wind Waker, would you want to give it another try? I could be wrong, but Wind Waker bundle comes with a download code. I think the NSMBU bundle does too. You could try to sell this on eBay if you really don't want either game.

I guess I would suggest NSMBU if you plan on playing with another person, multiplayer out of the box. If you're buying this for yourself and you wanna play an epic adventure while someone else uses the TV, then Zelda (but play it on your TV too because the GamePad looks good but not HD good.
Lethean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
Lethean wrote:

Well you know what you're going to get with each. If you've enjoyed Mario you'll definitely get some entertainment out of NSMBU+DLC, but Super Mario 3D World is better in my opinion.

Now that you know what to expect with Wind Waker, would you want to give it another try? I could be wrong, but Wind Waker bundle comes with a download code. I think the NSMBU bundle does too. You could try to sell this on eBay if you really don't want either game.

I guess I would suggest NSMBU if you plan on playing with another person, multiplayer out of the box. If you're buying this for yourself and you wanna play an epic adventure while someone else uses the TV, then Zelda (but play it on your TV too because the GamePad looks good but not HD good.

Yeah I'm thinking of the Wind Waker bundle and picking up Super Mario 3D World on the side. I really just wasn't a fan of the sailing part and it appears they've modified it to make it less daunting haha.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony said that there's still sailing, but yeah the general consensus was that it made it a lot better. I mean, Anthony finished the game before reviewing and gave it a 4.5. He complained earlier about the sailing, but then he did that so I don't know what to believe.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoyed by the sailing? The sailing is the fucking best.

I guess the new version doesn't require you to play the wand everytime you want to change the direction of the wind. But it's not like it was ever that terrible. And not like it's sailing-free now.

So if you didn't enjoy it then you probably won't now.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Wii U had achievements - I'd be all over it.

I know that's sad, but I need a pat on the back when I kill my 100th mobgoblin!
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: All the PS4 and X-Box One are doing is making me want a Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:

Of course, I'm still on the fence but now more than ever I'm strongly considering the Wii U. The only downside is the lack of blu ray support, media streaming and all around lack of video format support.

Those are extras that drive the cost up, and take the focus away, from gaming on the system you know.

I think of it this way, because of the prevalence for people to media share and stream videos and what not, this is why we have things like 24 hour kinect, online only features, and the like. Nintendo has that too, but its encased in its own little community, which I respect a whole lot more than the facetious attempts by sony and microsoft.

Food for thought I guess, in the end I would get a Wii U first and see whats in the pipeline from the other two in a year or so. No rush since we got games coming out for the 360 and PS3 still.
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Hyrule Warriors make you want a WiiU now? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyrule Warriors can't possibly be as bad as Metroid Other M, right?
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to post this numerous times, but I rather buy a 3DS XL now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuck, Dynasty Warriors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Nintendo All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: