More Reviews
REVIEWS Five Nights at Freddy's Review
So damn scary, I had to break every ten minutes just writing this review.

InFamous: First Light Review
Sony’s open-world action game gets new life with a blast from Sucker Punch who’ve got a story dedicated to neon-powered Fetch and her brother.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Fenix Rage Preview
I died. And I died again. Died again. Again and again. Again. Again. Why Do I Love This So Much?!
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Madden NFL 15
Release date: Out Now

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Release date: 09/23/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

LATEST FEATURES inFamous: First Light Battle Arena Hints, Strategies, Tips [Stream Over]
Watch as I build out our feature of useful tactics for players in Sucker Punch's wave-based and arcade-awesome arena mode.

The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 08/14/14
Robin Williams (1951-2014) Robin Williams was an absolutely exceptional comedian, talented actor, and holder of a special place in video game history: He was the first really famous gamer I know of. I’m sure there were others, but they kept a comparatively low profile, unlike one...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wii U info... (Help plz :))

View previous topic :: View next topic  
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Wii U info... (Help plz :)) Reply with quote

So I'm going to pick up a Wii U tonight for me and the GF to play, because we're both stupidly excited for donkey kong tropical freeze, primarily me.

My question.. is the main controller for this console not the game pad? I'm trying to find a second game pad online for pricing but they don't seem to exist. Only nunchuks and Wii U Pro controllers. Can you not buy a second game pad?

If not, should I just pick up a Wii U Pro controller? I don't really like the nun chuks at all.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW a quick response greatly appreciated, heading out after work.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes with a Gamepad (tablet-like controller), which one player uses as their controller. You can't use a second Gamepad. Definitely pick up a Pro controller for player two.

The other option for player 2-4 would be wii remote and nunchuck, or wii remote with "classic controller" attachment. If you don't already have those or just don't like them (I agree) then the Pro WiiU controller is what you want. They're normally $50 US.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
It comes with a Gamepad (tablet-like controller), which one player uses as their controller. You can't use a second Gamepad. Definitely pick up a Pro controller for player two.

The other option for player 2-4 would be wii remote and nunchuck, or wii remote with "classic controller" attachment. If you don't already have those or just don't like them (I agree) then the Pro WiiU controller is what you want. They're normally $50 US.

thanks man, appreciate it. Wii U Pro it is. are there any games at all on the wii U that you HAVE to have the nunchuk for?

i'm so excited for DK Tropical Freeze... cannot wait to get out to pick it up. watching videos for it makes me feel like a little kid again.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boot your WiiU into Wii mode, you can't use any WiiU controllers. So if you would want to play any Wii games or games that are on the Wii Virtual Console but not the WiiU Shop (of which there are way too many), then you would need a Wii remote, nunchuck or classic controller.

As far as WiiU games go though, you should be all set with the gamepad and a couple of Pro controllers.

Let me know how DK is.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's shitty, but you should get a Wiimote and Nunchuk with it just because A LOT of games (and all Wii games) use it (in addition to the GamePad). I was without a Wiimote and Nunchuk for the first year of Wii U ownership. You can do it, but there's always going to be some game that works better with the Wiimote+Nunchuk, like Pikmin 3.

I want a Wii U Pro Controller and that's (imo) the best controller for a second-player in Tropical Freeze, but you can use the Wiimote there too.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Right now the only games I have my eye on are the Mario and Luigi games that come with the bundle, DK: Tropical Freeze, and Super Mario 3D World.

Super excited. Will let you know how DK is Used.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those can be played with both Pro Controller and Wiimote+Nunchuk, so either way you'll be good.
Paul_Tamburro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that you need a Wii Motion Plus controller - it doesn't work with the standard Wiimote.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love the Wii so far... Came right home after work today and played it for an hour again with the GF before we made dinner. Gonna play more Donkey Kong tonight, was a lot of fun but I think perhaps a little challenging for the GF, at least to play together with me. So I will play more of it tonight and let you know.

I love Super Mario Bros U though, and so does she. She has a blast playing with the touch screen while I play with the controller. We positioned it last night so she was able to lay in bed while I was on the couch and she could play on the game pad along with me, was awesome, and hilarious.

Most fun I've had with a console in ages... Too bad there aren't more games! But between Super Mario and Luigi U, Donkey Kong, Mario 3D World and soon Mario Kart 8 (which looks fuarking awesome), I think it will keep me busy for a good while since I won't play it a ton.

I honestly though you had to play most games with the nun chuk still which is pretty much why I didn't own one, so nice to be able to sit back with a Nintendo again and relax.

I hope they continue down the more conventional route for their next system. The game pad idea is a gimmick that actually worked though, and is a blast.
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I played a demo of Wind Waker HD today at Target. I must have looked silly, a 30 year old man demoing the Wii U. The game, even at 2 feet away looked beautiful. I was actually surprised at how good that game looked for not only being a remake but for me being so close to the screen. I tested out the tablet play feature or whatever they call it and the game still ran and looked great on the tablet.

Glad you guys are happy with the purchase!
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE donkey kong... soooo much fun, love the boss battles. Just got to world 3. Leaving it there for tonight.

Don't find the difficulty bad at all (so far, dunno when it kicks in)... was a few spots i died multiple times but it was more because of just impatience than actual difficulty, I felt.

And yea Lethean, I find the games I've played so far beautiful. I also never played through wind waker, so might have to pick that up.
used44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely get Wind Waker.

You and I seem to have similar tastes
used44

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say but I sort of hate DK Tropical Freeze! It's plainly just too difficult.

Maybe I just need to play it when I'm in a different mood, but the few times I've played it since getting it for my birthday have been immensely frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Nintendo All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: