More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TV Tropes. The game!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: TV Tropes. The game! Reply with quote

The winner goes to www.tvtropes.com and looks up a random article posts it here and the next three people post examples. Your example can be from anything: TV, movies, comics, etc. Either off the top of your head or the actual page. The next person to visit the thread chooses which of the three is best. That person gets POINTS. The chooser of a winner then posts a new topic.

Play it like APPLES TO APPLES and remember to have fun.

FIRST UP!

Every Car Is a Pinto

"As everyone knows, cars are highly volatile machines, seemingly made of tissue paper, perch bark and lighter fluid. Or so you would think by how often, easily and massively they explode."
— Watch Mojo's Top 10 list of action movie clichés

Any significant damage to a vehicle, particularly falling off a cliff, is liable to result in a large explosion or major fire even though real cars rarely explode. This is a subset of Stuff Blowing Up. Evidently, TV cars run on nitroglycerine instead of gasoline. This trope comes from the well accepted fact that vehicles are generally full of flammable substances like gasoline. It, of course, ignores that these flammable substances are not explosive unless vaporized and mixed with air at the proper ratio. At worst your "exploding" car would actually be a small fire. Needless to say, Rule of Cool is in effect.

While cars are the most common, it seems that any form of transport has a good chance of exploding into a huge ball of flames and debris if it's shot at or wrecked. Aircraft, railroad locomotives, ships, pretty much anything bigger and more mechanically complex than a bread box. Sometimes, this happens to cars that are plunging off cliffs and haven't hit anything yet.

The trope namer is the now infamous Ford Pinto, a low-cost car put out by Ford in the early '70s. The gas tank was easy to damage in a rear-end collision and this often led to the damaged car going up in flames (still not an explosion). However, this trope actually predates the Pinto by quite a while.

If the massive numbers of parodies and Lampshade Hangings in recent years is any indication, this is on its way to being a Discredited Trope, especially after MythBusters debunked it. However, there are still plenty of people who believe this trope is true, leading to well-meaning bystanders pulling accident victims out of cars and causing further harm.

Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Grand Theft Auto ever.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the version where you go through Troper Tales and then drink every time you want to die.
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I mean...

The Simpsons

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Burnout game series definitely has that trope, but I'm thinking Burnout Paradise specifically. There's that game mode where you bump cars and they go flying/exploding into the air and you have to bounce the wreckage to chain destruction combos. The best tactic is to go after the city buses, which of course explode at the drop of a dime.
GiftedMonkey
Very Special Forces

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groundhog Day.

Bill Murray drives a truck off a cliff with the groundhog inside. The truck lands on its roof ("He's probably OK"), then explodes.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call of Duty comes to mind. Even tiny little scooters erupt with the intensity of a thousand suns if you shoot their handlebars enough.

o--(^-^)--o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: