More Reviews
REVIEWS FIFA 15 Review
After so many mentions of the World Cup, everyone must be soccer experts by now. *sarcasm* Let’s see what we can learn from FIFA 15.

D4 Review
Just another game about a time-traveling detective who deflects knives by spitting bubblegum at them as they fly through the air at full speed. Yep, just another game...
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sunset Overdrive Preview
Microsoft and Insomniac Games have created a new open-world shooter with clear influences from Jet Grind Radio. We went hands-on with the first hour of the game.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: Out Now

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP ryanbates
Respawning
By ryanbates
Posted on 09/25/14
I had planned to write something about the Borderlands series, but that will have to wait. I have something I need to get off my chest first. It's very personal, and I hope the two or three of you who follow my sparse blog will spare me this moment. I joked in my review for the bizarre...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wildstar-Early impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_nate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Wildstar-Early impressions Reply with quote

I was gifted a 7 day guest pass and decided to check it out.

It may be that I've become a jaded cynic who has played way too many MMO's over the years, but the honest truth is that so far I've been pretty underwhelmed with the game.

I've only just gotten to level 10 and realize that there is still a lot of game to unlock and discover, but I'm actually already getting bored with it.

To start off you chose a faction. (yes, in 2014 new mmo's are still using faction vs faction) The Exiles are the scrappy underdogs and use lighter, more "attractive" (for lack of a better term) races and the Dominion are the darker, "uglier" races. Most people will be instantly reminded of Alliance vs Horde, but you know,... IN SPACE!

The gameplay is also instantly familiar. When my friend was telling me that the combat mechanics were interesting and different, I jokingly said, "What, like dodging from GW2?" This was before I knew this game was actually made by ncsoft (which I learned when I dl'd the game to use the guest pass) and holy shit, they actually did recycle and reuse the dodge system from GW2. Enemies will charge big attacks which show as red on the ground. This means gtfo. I'm sure we all remember this instructional video on how to play GW2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU Well, it's basically the same thing in Wildstar, but you know,... IN SPACE!

The little things, like the chat bubbles, text, quests, reps, all oddly remind me a lot of Rift. The alternate ability tree and skill loadouts are also similar to Rift.

The artwork has a definite Torchlight type vibe to it, albeit a lot more exaggerated. (by which I mean, balloon tits everywhere.)

I've yet to check out the PvP so I cannot report on that yet.

I won't totally write the game off yet since I'm at such a low level but from what I've seen and experienced so far, it just doesn't live up to the hype and comes across as a mediocre MMO.

If you liked GW2 and like a more sci-fi setting, it may be worth for you to check it out, otherwise I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone else.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its incredibly important with an MMO that you get to a high level before you write it off. they're all pretty boring at first IMO.

wish i could try it but i'm done with addicting games. diablo 3 was the final one for me.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really loved the beta(Don't have time to play seriously). Most of my friends biggest turnoffs aren't even listed below. The biggest turnoff has been "But I don't like scifi MMOs and space, I like medieval" to which I chuckle and reply "But you liked guns, race cars, and space goats in WOW?"

The leveling is kind of your average MMO leveling affair. The games difficulty(At higher levels) and combat systems are a few of the things that really carried the rest of the MMO for me. If you are the type of person who loves hardcore MMOs and hardcore 40man raiding you will love wildstar. If all that stuff turns you off then the best the game really has to offer is pvp and all the crazy cool different customizations(House, Mounts, Gear)

I found the game to be addicting fun and the ability to either pay a subscription or buy it with in game currency from other players is smart and commendable.
213EDD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is pretty good. I have a few problems with it but other than that, it has enough content to stand on its own

Source:

(Better resolution https://i.imgur.com/V9iApTa.jpg )
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the beta and lost interest around level 12 or so. Just another boring MMO in a different wrapper.
digitalworkshed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really that bad? Because I'm hearing some good and mostly bad comments about Wildstar. Confused

Last edited by digitalworkshed on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
213EDD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is fine, the problems are its combat system is unforgiving and brutal on new or inexperienced players

Leveling to 50 in no way prepares you for the challenges at 50

Low level dungeons are just a large time waster with little reward for exp

Communities are very inclusive and makes it impossible to find adequate people

Most problems are fixed with Addons

Patch notes are brief and changes are often hidden with no mention

50+ Content

Adventures and Dungeons follow an difficult rank system which will only reward the gear players need if achieving Gold on their Gold, Silver, Bronze system

Adventures are sickeningly boring and required for 50 gear
If you find PUG's and encounter people playing together prepare to get kicked before the loot drops
Chances of getting gold on the Adventures which most classes require are extremely difficult to achieve gold in without extreme coordination

50+ you are absolutely required as DPS to run stuns and coordinate with your group to adequately intterupt a monster and dish out high damage and prevent the tank from getting blasted

Dodging Telegraphs is most important thing in combat and if you get hit by the telegraph, once, during an entire boss fight or fight in general you will die

More problems but I don't have that much time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: