More Reviews
REVIEWS Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Review
Borderlands: The-Prequel promises the moon, but does it even get off the ground?

The Evil Within Review
Developer Shinji Mikami wishes for the survival-horror genre. Does The Evil Within make a case?
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved
Release date: 10/21/14

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Release date: 11/04/14

Far Cry 4
Release date: 11/18/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Release date: 11/18/14

LATEST FEATURES 7 Problems With Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX [Hands-on Preview]
For the last time, Aqua, NO I will not go out with you! (Yes, yes I will, actually.)

Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
I Don't Want to, but I Have To...
By oblivion437
Posted on 10/20/14
Well, Gamergate has spilled over into the mainstream media and the coverage appears to be nearly uniformly dreadful. Take " What is Gamergate, and What Does It Say About Gender In Video Games? " by David Konnow as an example.  It appears that the writer has done little to no...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Minecraft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Minecraft Reply with quote

Does anyone play this game?

Why?

Would you be willing to walk me through it if I were to purchase it?

How much of a time suck is it?

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, these days i prefer 7 days to die.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minecraft is pretty simple. If you like building stuff, it's fun, but pretty overpriced at this point.

I haven't really played it in the last several years. Once you build an underwater house, what's the point?
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I haven't played the PC version since it was alpha in 2011 but I still follow it. There's a ton of new shit in the game like magic and player levels now.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured out how to tame ocelots, and they turn into house cats.

o--(^-^)--o
drathbone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on xbox 360 so not sure how different it is from the PC version but it's fun and easy to lose time in.

I prefer Terraria though.
C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention this game. I saw my son watching a bunch of videos on youtube of people building stuff in minecraft. He seemed really into it. So just the other day I was doing some shopping, walked down the games isle to check out if anything is on sale, as I am wont to do, and see the ps3 version of minecraft for $20, which I didn't think was bad at all.

So I picked it up, and when I got home my son spent the next couple of hours building a house, flying around all over. He made one mountain all water and one next to it all lava. It was amazing to watch. Then I read a bit and found out the game has split screen mode so then me and him were building stuff together and made side by side houses. Just for that alone was worth the $20, let alone all the upcoming hours we're going to get out of it.

You wouldn't really need much of a walkthrough to do all the basics. The ps3 version has 2 modes: survival, and creative. In survival, they drop you down in the world with nothing and you have to go collect all your supplies to start to build a shelter, crafting table, and furnace because at night zombies and spiders and skeletons come out to mess with you. And you have to build all your own stuff. Then you branch out from there. In creative mode they give you everything and let you fly so your only limit on what you can do or build is your own imagination.

As for time spent, that depends on how obsessive you are. They are some crazy obsessive people out there who have built some insane things

And you have people like me and my son who were excited to just build a couple of houses. So the time thing just depends on the level of detail you want to get in to.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really best with friends. Playing solo can be a bore, and playing the PC's competitive multiplayer game types is something I'm unfamiliar with but have no interest in.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play it from time to time. It's a kinda "go to" game when you're a bit bored.

I love building stuff.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
It's really best with friends. Playing solo can be a bore, and playing the PC's competitive multiplayer game types is something I'm unfamiliar with but have no interest in.

What kind of competitive play do they have?

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
drathbone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMasque wrote:
used44 wrote:

There's like a bajillion mods. Like a hunger games mod, which looked really cool but I only own the xbox version.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the PC version. There is a bit of a learning curve, but the new tutorial mode in the update does help. Still when I need help, I visit the Minecraft Wiki.

I've played with friends before and it was pretty fun. Going exploring together, building stuff together etc. My friends and I (about five of us) built this cool, unrealistic tree top kinda town, that was pretty fun.

Like I said before, I play Minecraft as a "go to" game when I'm bored and wanna waste some time. In saying that though if you get invested in Minecraft, don't be too surprised if the hours just fly by.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids play it and imagine an unlimited Lego box. Fun right? I have no patience for it though.

used44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMasque wrote:
used44 wrote:

I watched a kid stream some deathmatch gameplay on Twitch once. It wasn't particularly interesting.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered a game type that the player base invented for competitive play is called, "Spleef". It does sound like a really dirty sex move.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spleef. That is amazing. XD

Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in a Minecraft-esque game, there's always Ace of Spades, which is basically taking the building aspect of Minecraft and adding guns to it.

Well, the official release of Ace of Spades is crap, but if you can find someone hosting a server of the earlier alpha builds it's really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: