More Reviews
REVIEWS Horizon: Zero Dawn Review
The best Guerrilla Games title yet.

For Honor Review
The good fight.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Let It Die Preview
Seems like Suda51 saw Frozen, played Dark Souls, and then got the lyrics mixed up.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Halo Wars 2
Release date: Out Now

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk
Release date: 02/24/17

Horizon Zero Dawn
Release date: 02/28/17

Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey
Release date: 03/07/17

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Welcome Back to the West
By oneshotstop
Posted on 08/01/16
The only thing that stops the dust is the rain. It’s a sweet reprieve, but there is no middle ground. The land is either as dry as the Betty Ford clinic, or as wet as the ocean floor. Everything can be seen from the ridge overlooking Armadillo as John Marston gently bounces along atop...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Post Your Very First PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Post Your Very First PC Reply with quote

I thought this would be interesting for both young and old GR users. Post the specs (and bonus points for pics) of your very first PC whether it was for gaming or not. Doesn't have to be your first personal computer, but even your first family computer. I'll start.

I don't remember the make but it was a Packard Bell (before HP kids!) However I was way too young to even know what was inside it and it only lasted one month before dying. It was donated to us by one of my dad's co-workers back in 1996. However, we did have a "new" family PC from 1998-2006

It was a PC built by Apollo (don't remember the exact model number)
Intel Pentium II @400 Mhz (CPU slot card, before micro-processors!)
SVGA 8MB VRAM
8GB HDD (IDE!)
64MB RAM @ 133Mhz
19" CRT monitor (that was HD back then) 800x600 resolution
56k dial-up modem
HP CD burner with 8x speed
Windows 98

God damn piece of shit. Couldn't play hardly any games on it thanks to the generic VGA card and I remember rendering 3D landscapes in Bryce at 640x480 resolution that took all night to render. I also remember when I got my PSP that we had to get Windows 2000 as 98 didn't allow plug-and-play drivers. The computer was too old for Windows XP and wouldn't run it.

It eventually died around 2006 due to the HDD failing and it was so old we didn't bother installing a new one.
Baboon Informant
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this to PC.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legitimately my PC that I brought, upgraded, and accidentally dropped on pavement (which still works afterwards). If I recall it's:

1.8 ghz AMD single core
4 gigs of ram
100 and 80 gigs of HDD space

Seriously was the most stable and reliable piece of hardware that I've built back when I was in high school and starting college.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to remember to take a photo of our old PC when I get home.

We had the same PC for years, constantly being upgraded... I eventually gave up on it though because everyone was using it, installing so much crap on it and the computer was really slow. Ended up caving in and buying a laptop.

Anyway, will try to find it and post it later.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Craig wrote:
I'll try to remember to take a photo of our old PC when I get home.

We had the same PC for years, constantly being upgraded... I eventually gave up on it though because everyone was using it, installing so much crap on it and the computer was really slow. Ended up caving in and buying a laptop.

Anyway, will try to find it and post it later.

Kids are so spoiled these days. One PC computer per family for your entire childhood was a luxury back in the day, and they took a beating. Now every kid gets $2,000 PC or gaming laptop whenever they want.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had our home PC for years and everyone used it, except my dad because uh, he didn't know how to turn it on. Razz So I was sharing a PC with my two older brothers and my mum.

Eventually, my oldest brother got his own PC (got a job after school), so the home PC became shared by three people.

I think I was... twenty one, when I bought my first computer, a laptop. I bought it because, like I mentioned in my last post, I got so impatient with the home PC and how it was running. So much crap was on it and it just ran stupidly slow. Had my laptop for almost three years before I upgraded to a desktop.

Ivory_Soul wrote:
Kids are so spoiled these days. One PC computer per family for your entire childhood was a luxury back in the day, and they took a beating. Now every kid gets $2,000 PC or gaming laptop whenever they want.

I know what you mean. Going off topic... I overheard some people here in the office talking about their kids. Their ten year old children have their own iPhone 6s Plus phones. When I was ten years old, I had one of those weird art supply suitcases that carried all your art stuff like water coloured pencils, paints, lead pencils, pens, charcoal etc.

Sort of like this - http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDE2WDUwMA==/z/BJ4AAMXQVERS-oiG/$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was just my mom, myself, and my two sisters who used the computer. It ran stupidly slow right around 2002-2003. My dad also didn't even know how to turn it on. I got my fist personal computer from a home school program my mom put us in in 2005. I got an HP business desktop that had a single core CPU and an ATI Xpress 200 with 512MB of RAM which surprisingly was not too bad as I could run HL2 at a decent speed. It wasn't that great of a computer but loads better than the home PC as my mom continued to use it for another year until it finally died. It wasn't until 2010 when I bought an Alienware laptop which was my first gaming machine. I was WAY late into the PC gaming scene and could finally play the latest and greatest. Of course, I've moved on to desktops since then and will be doing a major upgrade next year in the spring.

I don't know why kids are allowed to have smartphones. They have no business needing one. Who are they calling and texting? My son won't be allowed to have a smartphone until he gets a job and buys his own. All he will get is a cheap flip phone (if they're still around by then) with pre-paid minutes for emergencies.

I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 19 and it was a crappy $20 Kyocera flip phone from Virgin Mobile.
osaco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the configuration of my first PC exept for the processor which was a pentium 1
my other pc was a pentium 4, 512mo of ram and a geforce 6500

Baboon Informant
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a picture but it was an old 386 with like 8mb ram ram, a cd rom drive, sound blaster 16, a 3.5 inch floppy and maybe a 64mb HDD?

The first one I paid for myself was an AMD Athlon 3000 I believe with a 128GB HDD, 2GB(maybe 4) ram, and a Geforce 5600.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just helped a friend build his first PC last weekend. I helped him picked the parts and it was a damn nice computer. Geforce 1070, 16GB RAM and i5 6600k.

My first PC I built when I was in elementary school in the early 90s. I do not remember the exact specs, but it was a 386 with a harddrive of unknown size (I dont think it was more than 200mb, though). I think it had 16MB memory. I am not sure of the specs because it was from parts I scavenged from my school. The first PC I built with all my desired parts was an AMD K7, 256mb RAM (I think), no GPU. My parents didn't want to give me much money to build a PC so I amde it as cheap as possible so I was forced to use software rendering (I OCed the fuck out of that CPU). I remember playing quake 3 in 320x240 because that is the only way I could play the game smoothly. HL1 I played at something like 4fps. Crazy how much bullshit I was able to tolerate as a kid. Today I would be pissed if my frame-rate dipped below 30.

First I brought with my own money was an Athlon 64, 2GB memory, geforce 4mx. I dun goofed with that geforce 4 mx, I had to play SWG on low settings for a decent framerate. I updated that GPU to a 6600 (I think) after a while. When I moved out in 2007 I gave that computer to my parents, and they used it until last year.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember our first PC. We still have it, but I don't know the specs.

The first computer I bought for myself was a Toshiba laptop, back in 2009 when I was twenty one years old. Basically, our family computer had become so shit and full of crap (everyone used it) that I got really frustrated with it and decided to buy my own.

Decided to buy a laptop because at the time, I was a university student, figured it would be good to have a mobile computer. I treated it pretty much like a desktop. I can't quite remember the specs of my old laptop, but let me try...

Brand: Toshiba
Operating System: Windows Vista
Processor: Don't remember
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 , I think
Graphics card: Can't remember exactly, but it was an AMD Radeon 1GB card
Storage: 500GB HDD

For its time, it was pretty good. It could run games like Fallout 3 at ultra settings with mostly 60 FPS. I could also run Star Craft II at ultra settings for mostly 60 FPS too, but found when playing online, I'd need to decrease the quality.

I had huge issues with the Radeon card. Some games outright refused to play. I bought Champions: Online and that game just worked like a heap of shit with Radeon. I contacted customer support of Champions and so did many people (I wasn't the only one) and their response was honestly just "buy a new graphics card". Wankers.

The laptop served me well until about March 2012. I remember because that's when I first got Mass Effect 3. ME3 would crash on me because the laptop would overheat... so shortly after I somehow finished ME3 (despite the crashes), I bought myself my desktop PC, which I still use today.

I ended up giving my laptop away to my oldest brother, who uses it purely for data entry and university course work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: