Guild Wars 2More guides, cheats and FAQS
Guild Wars 2 offers a personal storyline that presents itself throughout the journey to the game’s level
80 cap. It is split into eight chapters, one for each 10 levels, and there are typically 3-5 missions available
per chapter. Each mission is rich with voice-acted cut-scenes, a variety of challenges, and can be enjoyed
alone or with friends.
Missions are tied to a specific level and it is recommended to participate at that level since you’ll be
down-ranked in the event that you exceed the mission’s corresponding difficulty. Following a mission
you’re given a choice of up to three options of uncommon loot and a mountain of XP is awarded.
Below are descriptions of what each chapter in your personal storyline entails:
Chapter 1 (level 1-10)
The first chapter is specific to each race. You are introduced to your mentor and given a goal to
complete. Depending on an option chosen during character creation one of your first missions will be
- Asura: Snaff Prize judges seek a powerful new invention. You’ll either present a Very Old Energy Detector, a Massively Impressive Golem, or Interspatial Locator.
- Charr: You meet up with the Blood, Ash, Or Iron Legion before finding out that plots within the Flame Legion threaten the welfare of Charr.
- Human: You reunite with old friends which can be either Andrew and Petra, Faren, or Quinn before facing criminals which need to be brought to justice.
- Norn: You get to either assist in defeating a giant Jotun leader, protect the Mists, or rescue the Spirit of Minotaur before attempting to thwart the attack of the Sons of Svanir.
- Sylvari: A vision of a white stag, green huntsman, or Shield of the Moon brings question to your tribe.
An additional choice you made during character creation determines which personal storyline missions
you engage in from level 11-20. The choices that affect Chapter 2 are the following:
- Asura: VAL-A Golem, the Transatmospheric Converter, or the Infinity Ball.
- Charr: Loyal soldier, an honorless gladium, or a sorcerous shaman.
- Human: Unknown parents, dead sister, or a missed chance to perform in a circus.
- Norn: Blacking out, being defeated by a rival, or losing an heirloom.
- Sylvari: "Act with wisdom, but act", "All things have a right to grow", or "Where life goes, so too should you".
You’re introduced to the major threat of Tyria: Elder Dragons. In preparation to battle them, you’ll meet
all three orders, partake in missions for them, and then decide which to join. The three orders are the
- Durman Priory: A scholarly order full of knowledge and lore.
- Order of Whispers: An order of agents that use espionage, intelligence acquisition, and assassination to complete tasks.
- Vigil: A militaristic order that prefers brawn over magic.
Chapter 4 (level 31-40)
At this point you meet up with the order you chose, introduce yourself, and are then sent out to
complete tasks for the order.
- Durmand Priory: You are sent along with Magister Sieran to meet the leader of the, but discover a cave along the way.
- Order of Whispers: You and Lightbringer Tybalt Leftpaw depart to find the missing Demmi Beetlestone.
- Vigil: Warmster Forgal accompanies you to Ebonhawke where you seek to prevent the sabotage of a peace treaty.
All three orders are given the option to assist one of five factions which include the following:
- Grawl: A tribal culture of humanoids.
- Hylek: Frogmen who specialize in alchemy.
- Ogres: Massive beastmasters.
- Quaggans: A peaceful race that prefers to live near water.
- Skritt: Rat-like scavengers.
A massive battle takes place on Claw Island and it’s lost in the process. Afterward, you’re sent out by
your order to acquire as many reinforcements as possible before heading back and facing the massive
group of monsters that have sieged the island.
Chapter 7 (level 61-70)
A new alliance is founded in the wake of recapturing Claw Island. Howver, the Elder Dragon threat is
bigger than ever before.
Chapter 8 (level 71-80)
You and your new alliance seek to take down Zhaitan, a legendary Elder Dragon of Orr. But before you
can do that you set out to take down the dragon’s most loyal followers. Between level 70 and 80 you'll be given a personal story mission each level making the final run to 80 as eventful as possible.