There Are No Losers In The Special Olympics
Posted on Tuesday, March 18 @ 21:46:43 PST by Duke_FerrisThe latest game sales numbers from NPD came out and once again, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all claimed victory! How is that possible? Statistics!
GR calls bullshit. Without further ado, here is the (edited for length) pack of finely crafted P.R. lies and half-truths that were all sent to me within minutes of each other:
The latest video game industry sales figures reported by the independent NPD
Group show that Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ topped the U.S. charts for February.
Nintendo DS sold nearly 587,600 units and Wii sold nearly 432,000.
· Nintendo sold more than 1 million hardware units combined, accounting for
nearly half (47.6 percent) of all hardware sold.
· Nintendo DS games topped all software sales, with more than 3.6 million
units sold. Consumers purchased nearly 2.9 million software units for
Wii. Four of every 10 games sold were for Nintendo systems.
· Three games in the top five sellers for February play on Nintendo
systems, including two from third-party publishers.
· Nearly 1.7 million accessories were purchased for Wii, more than for any
other system. More than 1.2 million accessories were sold for Nintendo DS
PS3 Sales Eclipse Xbox 360 for Second Straight Month; Year-Over-Year Sales More Than Doubled
* Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales Top 875,969
* PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) outsold Xbox 360 for the second straight month with 280,841 hardware units sold in February, 10% higher than Microsoft (according to NPD February 2008 sales data). Year-over-year this represents 120% sales growth.
* PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continued its trend of strong sales with 243,115 PSP hardware units sold in February, representing a year-over-year increase of 38%.
* PlayStation®2 (PS2) continues to surprise and delight mainstream audiences with hardware unit sales reaching 351,787 units. Additionally, for the third consecutive month, PS2 sold more software units than any other console on the market, not only a testament to the staying power of PlayStation products, but also the incredible PlayStation software library.
* The PlayStation brand generated the most U.S. retail dollars in the industry for the second consecutive month with $511 million in sales, 52% and 6% higher than Microsoft and Nintendo, respectively.
· $332 million was spent on the Xbox 360 platform this month, capturing 39 percent of the generation’s ecosystem, $235 million was spent on the PS3 and $283 million was spent on the Wii. (February NPD data)
· The Xbox 360 platform now has a U.S. installed base of 9.6 million; the PS3 has 3.8 million, the Wii has 8.1 million. (February NPD data)
· Xbox 360 leads in games, with six out of the top 10 best selling console games in February. (February NPD data)
· Xbox 360 “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” (Activision) was the best-selling console game across all platforms, outselling the PlayStation 3 version by 2:1. (February NPD data)
· Xbox 360 has the top selling games on its platform. According to February NPD, Xbox 360 sold $184 million in games, with PS3 selling $97 million and Wii $130 million.
· Third party partners find more success on Xbox 360. In February, Xbox 360 accounted for $159 million of all third party game sales this generation, or 45 percent of share. (February NPD data)
· Xbox 360 has more games available than any other platform, and more than twice the games available on PS3. (February NPD data)
· To date, $9.0 billion have been spent on Xbox 360 in the U.S, which is more than the competition’s retail dollars combined. This is nearly $6 billion more than consumers have spent on PS3 and approximately $4.5 billion more than Wii.
· Third party publishers make 60 percent of their revenue at retail on the Xbox 360 platform this generation.
comments powered by Disqus
NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4
Pre-order trailer. (4:55)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Make Your Mark Accolades trailer. (1:00)
Tharsis announcement trailer. (0:55)
The Secrets of The Mishima Clan Paris Games Week Announcement Trailer. (2:26)
Starpoint Gemini 2
Starpoint Gemini 2 Xbox One Release Date Announcement. (2:21)
|More On GameRevolution|