There have been a lot of different reviews on Socom 4 Confrontation and I’ve finally had enough of it. I am not sure if the people writing these reviews are new to Socom or if their long time loyal Socom gamers. So here is a review from a loyal Socom gamer for the last 5 years.
Slant Six (The developers of Confrontation, Zipper Interactive did the previous 3 Socoms) has taken a great game franchise and put it right into the garbage. I have never seen a game go from great (Socom 2-3) to absolutely horrible (Socom 4) with-in one release.
For people who are new to Socom my rating is a C. Ok game, still needs a lot of work.
For loyal Socom gamers my rating is a D- (a year of patches MIGHT fix this “game”.)
I played this game at my buddy’s house all weekend to try and like it and after going into it with such excitement and hope I left with a list of poor features Slant Six feels is the style of Socom.
1. You can’t run and throw a grenade at the same time.
2. You can’t run and shoot your weapon at the same time.
-These two alone take away the entire Run N’ Gun factor
3. When running and you want to turn it’s about a 15ft diameter until you get turned around.
4. You can’t run diagonally. You have to look the way you want to run.
5. You have to push a button to run. This is a new feature Slant Six put in because apparently pushing the analog stick have way to walk and all the way to run is to hard.
6. Very slow movement. I had look speed and acceleration all the way up and the response when playing was about half the speed of Socom 3. Very low agility.
7. The re-load time of your gun is about 2.75 seconds up from about 1.25 seconds in Socom 3.
8. Switching between your grenades and your gun takes about 1.5 seconds. In Socom 3 you could do it about 4 times in 1 second.
9. You have 2 spots for extras (grenades, smoke, ammo…) same right? NOPE!!! Each spot only holds 1 unit down from 3 units per spot in Socom 3.
10. The distance you can throw your grenades is about 70% of the Socom 3 distance.
11. The menus are lame and unorganized. Socom 3 main menu everything was right there. Socom 4 everything is hidden, hard to find and slow to get to wherever you’re going
So for all these reasons and more Slant Six has taken a great Run N’ Gun, fast action shooter and turned it into utter garbage. THIS IS A HORRIBLE SOCOM GAME!!!
I suggest you wait at least 1 year and try it again because this game is not even close to being a finished product.
OVERALL RATING = D-