Dishonored 2's PC port is one of the most disappointing of the year. Not only did it feature very few graphics settings to provide a wide range of hardware support, but it was disastrously erroneous with glitches and poor performance.
Developer Arkane Studios has promised to give the port as much attention as needed to address complaints. The result? A massive new patch titled v1.2.
The v1.2 patch is now available via Steam Beta. Its change log is substantive with mentions of virtually every major concern posed by players since launch. Thankfully, this has translated into results. Not only are there more graphics options now available in the settings, but the game runs better for most players who have tried and reported about it.
As a quick primer, check out this short section of the patch notes which provides an overview of the patch:
- General performance and optimization improvements
- Auto-detection of the Visual settings was re-worked based on player feedback and observed issues. If still experiencing issues after updating drivers and downloading patch 1.2, advise using the “Restore Settings” option to apply the recommended settings for your hardware.
- Max pre-rendered frames is now managed by the game, advise removing any previous manual customizations in graphics driver control panel
- Fixes multiple related to game logic
- Fixed various issues related to user interface
- Fixed various issues related to mouse/KB and gamepad, including:
- Mouse smoothing is now set to minimum by default
- Fixed various issues related to using alt-tab related bugs
- Fixed various issues related to multiple monitors
- Fixed a bug where Resolution Scaling was deactivated when the game ran above 30 FPS
- Changed the Resolution Scaling settings to be more clear
- Added new settings in the Options menu:
- Added a Framerate Limiter so the player can limit framerate fluctuation when playing without V-sync
- Added TAA Sharpness option
- Added more options to V-Sync settings
- If you had previously disabled V-sync, please check your FPS limiter setting to ensure it is set to your desired limit.
- Added Triple Buffering option
The patch is so substnatial that while we don't recommend purchasing the game on PC right now, that could very well change the moment this patch debuts in its final form.