Despite its lengthy development cycle, Final Fantasy XV was a huge success for Square Enix. Having shipped more than six million units within two months, and earning the best reception of any Final Fantasy game in more than a decade, Square Enix has been looking to tap into its full potential with monthly updates, and now a mobile spinoff.
Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is an upcoming mobile game that's being created by MachineZone. Unlike the series' console adaptation, this release will be a massively multiplayer online game with several modes of play and social mechanics.
In the game players will engage in city building as well as management of a team that can include major Final Fantasy XV characters such as Noctis, Gladiolus, Ignis, Prompto and Lady Lunafreya. The official description states the following:
- Experience your very own FFXV adventure on your mobile phone
- Jump into the action with Noctis, Cindy, and all of your favorite FF15 characters
- Fight alongside friends and against foes in legendary battles against millions of players from around the world!
- Build up your Empire and train your troops to win in action packed, real-time battles
- Create the ultimate Guild or join up with already-powerful forces
- Strategize with your guild to crush enemies and beasts in real-time battles
- Compete for the Crystal against players from all over the world
Mobile platforms have recently made big money for Square Enix, particularly Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, Lara Croft Go, and Hitman: Sniper which have played an instrumental part in strong fiscal year earnings for the company. Square Enix has voiced interest in pursuing more mobile games going forward.
Although mobile games are usually looked at as cash grabs by gamers, MachineZone has a strong track record with games including Game of War - Fire Age and Mobile Strike, two of the most popular mobile games in history with high user review averages.
Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire currently has no estimated release window.