According to a new press release from Funcom, "The Secret World launched to great critical acclaim". I don't know much about that, but what I do know is that a list of new content referenced in the e-mail is big news for anyone who enjoys The Secret World.
Funcom has announced that starting July 31st, a monthly update plan for The Secret World will be in effect. These patches won't include just bug fixes—which the game desperately needs—and minor adjustments, either. The monthly updates will feature missions, seasonal events, gameplay enhancements, and even new regions.
In the next few months Funcom plans to make strides by adding the following:
- Monthly mission packs, including a slew of new investigation missions
- New weapons (including a big one that will cause even bigger explosions!)
- Raids (clue for the first one: The Big Apple will never be the same)
- Expanded character customization, including plastic surgery
- A player vs. player dungeon set in an entirely new geographical area
- Dungeon finder tool to make grouping for dungeons much easier
- Seasonal events such as Halloween and Winter Solstice
- Two large adventure areas including new characters, missions, monsters, lore and more
- More social gameplay will be added to the London hub
And most importantly:
- Combat will be enhanced significantly both visually and mechanically
Sweet goodness! Sluggish combat was my biggest gripe with the game as noted in my The Secret World review. In addition to plastic surgery, a dungeon finder tool to quell the chat spam, and new areas to get lost in, The Secret World players have a lot of improvements to look forward to.