Team Sonic Racing has seemingly been leaked by Walmart ahead of its official reveal, with the retailer posting a listing to a Nintendo Switch version of the unannounced game. The leak includes screenshots along with the game's box art, while its description notes that it's set to be a team-based racing game in which players share "power-ups and speed boosts."
While Sega has enjoyed previous success with its Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing series, it seems that the developer is ditching the characters from other franchises in order to firmly focus on the "Sonic Universe" this time around. There will be 15 playable characters divided into 3 classes, while there will also be a suite of customization options and a "unique story experience."
Here are the details from the listing:
- Team Racing: Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization: Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps: 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode: Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Classes: 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.
Interestingly, Team Sonic Racing isn't listed for the PS4, Xbox One, or PC on the Walmart page, so it looks like this could be a Nintendo Switch exclusive. The Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing series was surprisingly good, with many praising it as a capable deviation from the Mario Kart formula. Though some will be disappointed that it seems to abandon Sega's other properties in favor of firmly focusing on Sonic, the Nintendo Switch could do with another fun multiplayer racing game following Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, so Sega can hopefully come up with the goods.