The fact that there's a third Final Fantasy XIII is mind-boggling, but the least we can do is give it a chance.
The latest issue of Famitsu has revealed information for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, and the details make it appear that Square Enix still has no idea how to cater to its audience. Here are some of the main points Famitsu hit on:
- Lightning can collect and equip pretty costumes.
- There's a full day/night cycle which makes NPCs and quests only available at certain times.
- Lightning is the only character you use in combat.
- The new "Style" mechanic lets you register equipment for quick-swapping mid-combat.
- The new combat system is called "ATB Amazing".
- Bonus points are earned for being flashy.
When you compare Square Enix's latest work with the Final Fantasy classics, it almost feels like these new titles should be under a completely different IP. Not even gorgeous visuals and charming symphonies can save a JRPG that you don't become engrossed in.