Despite reports that the publisher and hardware manufacturer was six months behind in development, Microsoft has gone all Fix-It Felix Jr. on this bitch... um, you know if Wreck-It Ralph weren't a film about accepting yourself and more about throwing money at problems.
In addition to 15 exclusives slated from Microsoft within Xbox One's first year, Microsoft Studios head Phil Spencer told OXM that the company is always fighting to secure exclusives and other software to bring players into the next-generation. That billion dollar figure includes:
- New studios in London, Washington, and Victoria, BC
- Talent hired to fill those new studios
- 343 Studios next game (Halo 5 duh)
- Lionhead's next game
- Turn 10's Forza Motorsport 5
- An historic IP revived at Rare
- Black Tusk Studios working on an action title
- Cloud-based games in development at Lift London
- A new project from Microsoft Studios Osaka
- Newly acquired small-scale studios Press Play and Twisted Pixel
- and more...
When you add up the rumored EA deal, extended exclusivity for Call of Duty DLC, Remedy's Quantum Break, among others, it's clear they're probably not pulling that billion-dollar figure out of their butts. All told, this amounts to a rocket-propelled grenade of software aimed directly at gamers both with and without loyalty to Microsoft.
What mystery game could you be swayed by?