Ubisoft's PC Port of From Dust Is A Cluster-Something [Update]
Posted on Thursday, August 18 @ 14:48:03 Eastern by Nicholas Tan
[Update] Steam is offering refunds to users who purchased From Dust, because they were told that the game only has a one-time activation code as DRM... which has proven false. It may take a while, but you can contact Steam's support if you wish to claim a refund.
I want to say this is surprising, but Ubisoft has a poor track record when it comes to PC ports: the delays and bugs of Call of Juarez: The Cartel, Far Cry 2, and Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. But this recent PC port for the critically acclaimed and extremely popular From Dust is just embarrassing. Let me count the ways:
1) From Dust's PC port was supposed to be available at launch but was delayed to only yesterday, August 17th.
2) Ubisoft said the game would require "a one-time only online activation", but it actually checks during every launch and some users can't get it to detect their online connection.
3) Not only is there little notice of just how high the specs of your computer needs to be to run the game, but the only graphical setting that you can adjust is resolution. That's it. The PC port is also locked at 30fps.
4) The mouse controls like the completely different analog stick on the Xbox 360 controller. There are no options to change this.
5) Steam users who purchase From Dust must still sign up for UPlay, whose client launches with the game but is entirely.
comments powered by Disqus
|More On GameRevolution|