Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Digital Illusions
Ship Date: PC-CD in Summer 2002, Xbox in Winter 2002
Category: First Person Action
In the multiplayer-focused Battlefield 1942™, players are given the
power and tools to affect the outcomes of key battles of WWII. With
the ability to control 35 authentic Axis and Allied vehicles from a
first person perspective and select from five player classes, they are
faced with incredible choices in their plan of action. Among a vast
array of available options, players can choose to heroically storm or
defend the beaches of Normandy, direct artillery or command a tank at
Kursk, pilot a fighter or operate shore battery at Midway, command an
aircraft carrier or jeep at Guadalcanal, and take charge of a bomber
or an APC in El Alemain - experiencing some of the most dramatic moments
of WWII. The game will be available for the PC in summer 2002 for the
Xbox video game system from Microsoft in winter 2002.
Battlefield 1942 for the PC will support up to 64 players and give them
the ability to fully experience World War II combat. Gamers will also
be able to control many weapons available to the Axis and Allies as
well as command numerous land vehicles, ships and aircraft. With larger
craft such as a bomber, the game will allow players to choose what stations
they serve - pilot, gunner, bombardier, etc.
Battlefield 1942 will also feature large and detailed maps that allow
players to strategize a variety of battle plans. The fighting in Battlefield
1942 takes place in the most famous and pivotal battles of the Second
World War from Europe, Pacific, Eastern Europe and North Africa. Sixteen
maps from these four theaters of WWII will be included. The game uses
a proprietary engine named the Refractor 2, the most robust 3D rendering
engine available and fully fleshes out the action.
Though multiplayer experience will be the focus of Battlefield 1942
for the PC, there will be a mode of unique single player action. These
levels feature advanced artificial intelligence with no scripting, meaning
players will get a completely different experience each time they play.
- Control 35 authentic WWII land vehicles, ships and aircraft including tanks, fighters, bombers, jeeps and battleships from first person perspective.
- Five different character classes - assault, medic, scout, anti-tank, engineer -- with unique strengths and weaknesses.
- 16 large and highly detailed maps from four WWII theaters that players must utilize to give the game strategic elements.
- Proprietary Refractor 2 engine raises bar for graphics and 3D rendering.
- Huge multiplayer component on the PC supporting up to 64 players that requires teamwork and cooperation from each member in order to achieve victory for the Axis or Allies.
- Operate many hand weapons of war that were available to the Axis and Allies.
- Unique single player mode features no scripting, providing players a different experience each time they play.