Defender® brings an all-new 3-D remake of the original arcade classic to next-generation consoles, offering the only space-combat game that lets players rescue and defend humans from an alien onslaught with a combination of high-octane, space-combat action and strategic command.
Players defend and protect the human race from an alien invasion as they assume the controls of six new combat-ready Defender ships. Battling an onslaught of vicious aliens, players must strategically pilot their ship through 32 treacherous missions in seven expansive worlds, executing dynamic tactical maneuvers such as barrel rolls, 360-degree loops and spinning reversals in order to evade the enemy.
Featuring a new view perspective with a fully 3-D, third-person chase camera, Defender drops players into the explosive action of an alien invasion where they must utilize speed and control to outwit the enemy. Ship upgrades are also available with various power-ups including shields, advanced weapons, engine enhancements and cloaking technology. Aliens can be taken head-on in single-player campaign mode or defeated with a friend in the two-player, cooperative campaign mode.
Defender Key Features:
- A New View Perspective - Defender is fully 3-D and is played from a third-person chase camera perspective. This gives the player the ultimate in speed and control as they pilot their ship to victory against the alien invaders.
- Instant Action - The controls in Defender are straightforward making it intuitive to pick up the game and start your Defender training. The weapons are all bold and powerful - there's no need to pinpoint your enemy - so just get an alien in front of you and blast your way into the battle! With button combos, advanced players can use special tactical maneuvers such as barrel rolls, reverses, etc.
- Plan Your Attack - The new Defender starts where the old left off. In addition to having humans to save and aliens to kill, there are different classes of humans to protect, tanks and other ground units to position (both offensive and defensive), and bases to defend. Now humans become more than just a body to save - they are a resource to manage.
- Game Modes - Single-player campaign mode, two-player (co-op) campaign mode, and Classic Defender (the original arcade game).
- Ship Upgrades - Upgrade your ship in between missions - receive upgrades for lives saved
(more scientists saved will yield better shields earlier on). During missions, players can earn multiple power-ups, including: shields, advanced weapons, engine enhancements, cloaking technologies, etc.
SHIP DATE: Fall 2002
PLATFORMS: PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox video game system from Microsoft and Nintendo GameCube