E3, LOS ANGELES ⎯ May 18, 2005— Capcom® plans to turn the fighting genre upside down with the announcement of Final Fight: Streetwise™ for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft®. Set within Capcom's Final Fight universe, this mission-based action game calls for players to use their street smarts and powerful fighting skills to survive the back alleys of Metro City. Classic Capcom fighting action, expansive 3D environments, and diverse gameplay await those when Final Fight: Streetwise is released throughout North America this winter.
"Capcom has always had the reputation of being one of the most innovative and talented game makers in the video game industry," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom Entertainment. "Final Fight: Streetwise exemplifies our ability to create a gritty, cutting-edge experience in true Capcom style."
'Your fists are the only thing you can really rely on in this world' are the words uttered by Kyle and Cody Travers. Gaining respect is the only way to survive the streets of Metro City. The Travers brothers have spent years building an indisputable reputation amongst the local gangs and street thugs. No one ever dares to challenge them until a seedy organization kidnaps Cody. In the feverish attempt to rescue his brother, Kyle meets head-on with the forces of a sinister underground boss whose powerful influence has thrown the various districts of Metro City into utter chaos. Now the metropolis is in a riotous turmoil as a mysterious street drug spreads across the city. What's happened to Cody and is he still alive? Can all this anarchy be stopped?
In Final Fight Streetwise, players assume the role of Kyle Travers. As a streetwise underground pit fighter and brother of the infamous Cody from the classic Final Fight series, Kyle must try to solve his brother's disappearance. A major element to the game is quickly building 'respect.' Earning this sought-after characteristic gives gamers a means to attain powerful new fighting skills, hardcore weapons, critical information and a wide variety of NPC (non-playable character) support; vital for completing various objectives. Featuring stylized and realistic visuals, the tumultuous energy of Metro City is brought to life with great detail. Explore dynamic environments and encounter intense street fights where players use hand-to-hand and weapon combat. Shocking story twists and disturbing connections are made as this epic story unfolds through adrenaline-pumping action and intense cinematics.
Final Fight: Streetwise includes the following features:
• Storyline based on Capcom's Final Fight universe – Encounter new and familiar Final Fight characters who will assist Kyle throughout the game
• Evolving game system – "Respect" is a key stat that is adjusted throughout the game. The player's respect level will define his or her interaction with the enemies and bystanders they encounter. Some of the ways to earn respect include defeating enemies, winning pit-fights, completing side missions, and mini-games.
Building respect requires two components: Tension – Affects one's fighting ability. Increasing the 'tension' level unlocks more powerful attack moves. The amount of tension the player builds is based on how intensely they fight. The better the performance, the greater the reward. Money – Affects what helpful items and services that can be purchased, including weapons, information, hiring allies, etc.
• Intensified fighting – Partake in the raw intensity of fighting on and off the streets. Final Fight: Streetwise offers balanced action between various methods of combat:
Hand-to-hand and super combos– Execute primary close-range attacks and deliver devastating combos, such as nose-shattering punches and excruciating knees to the groin.
Hand-to-hand and weapons – Damage enemies at close range with hand-to-hand combat and finish them off with weapons, including pool cues, 2x4's, steel pipes, knives, grenades, shotguns and machine guns.
Instinct Mode – Increase your attack speed and accuracy when activating this mode. It creates an opportunity to trigger a lethal combination of hand-to-hand and weapon actions.
Counter-Time Mode – Show off Kyle's ultra-fast reflexes for counter-attacking by slowing down time with special parry maneuvers, activated during Instinct Mode.
• Diverse NPC interactions – Interact with NPCs in order to obtain information, buy/sell items, or hire them as allies.
• Dynamic Environments - Missions will offer a non-linear free roaming experience, giving the player the opportunity to freely explore their surroundings for clues, key characters, etc., as well rewarding side missions. Revisit locations and see the dramatic transformation of the city as it is torn apart by escalating chaos.
• Realistic and Stylish visuals – The grittiness of Metro City is brought to life in incredible detail.
• Dolby Sound Pro Logic II – Final Fight: Streetwise will include a system that will enhance the various licensed music tracks and realistic fighting sounds heard throughout the game.