Developer: Game Republic
Platform: Playstation 2 computer entertainment system
Launch Date: Fall 2005
Target Age: 13-35
Developed by Game Repblic and Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai is an intense 3D action-adventure game available exclusively on the Playstation 2 computer entertainment system. Inspired by the 11 th century Japanese literary masterpiece, Tale of Genji, Genji: Dawn of the Samurai provides a dramatic samurai plot fused with fantastical Japanese mythology. This historic samurai tale is set against the beautiful and elegant environments of feudal Japan , and delivers a story of two noble warriors engaged in a crusade against mythical forces controlling Japan . Genji: Dawn of the Samurai features authentic swordplay choreographed by Japan 's leading swordsman, and production directed by acclaimed industry veterans.
The setting takes place in 1159 A.D. Feudal Japan and the aristocratic period has come to an end and wealth and family lineage no longer control the land. Power now rules the land and the people. The Heishi, a brutal samurai clan armed with powerful mythical stones, has struck fear into the citizens of Kyo with its tyrannical rule and mysterious power. As Yoshitune, a cunning swordsman and one of the few surviving descendants of the vanquished Genji clan, players embark on an epic adventure across the beautiful country of feudal Japan to rid it of the Heishi clan's oppressive rule. With swords in hand and the aid of a powerful ally, players must wage war against skilled swordsmen, vicious demons and a world rife with evil. The dawn of the samurai has arrived.
- Intense 3D action/adventure gameplay based on authentic swordplay, motion-captured movements and precise enemies.
- Robust Enhancement System: Extensive weapon, armor, and attribute upgrade system allows you to enhance your character's strength, defense and health.
- Two playable characters, each with his own fighting style, upgradeable weaponry and character development.
- Battle mythical enemies and fantastical creatures armed with deadly weapons and magical powers.
- Levels: 30 missions across elegantly styled environments of feudal Japan . Breath-taking environments reflect seasonal changes and authentic Japanese architecture.
- Authentic swordplay and motion-capture: Executed by Japan 's leading swordfight composer and Ken Watanabe's stunt double in "The Last Samurai."
- Over one hour of rich cinematics developed by industry pioneers tell a dramatic storyline of revenge.
- Inspired by the literary masterpiece, Tale of Genji, written in 11 th century Japan and widely regarded as the world's first novel.