Release date: October 2001
Format: Sony Playstation 2
Changes from GTA2
- Change from 2D to 3D
- It now has a story that the player must play through
- Added new vehicles: boats, helicopters, airplanes
- Kept almost all of the gameplay elements from GTA2 - player can still go
anywhere, it's completely open, you can do everything you did before - only
now in 3D!
City - Liberty City
Game takes place in Liberty City, which consists of three districts - Industrial,
Commercial, and Suburban - which also serve as your 3 levels of gameplay.
As the player progresses through the game, each of the districts open
up. Liberty City is loosely based on New York City - with its Boroughs
- the 3 areas are connected by bridges, tunnels, water, etc.
- Non-linear gameplay aspect (still there) The Player always has choices.
Odd jobs, taxi jobs, cars to scrap dealer, etc. Earn money on the side -
loads of side missions on top of the plot missions.
- Added Time of Day. Some missions have to be performed at exact times
during the day.
- Weather and Handling Changes - thunder, lightning, for, rain - makes road
slippery, affects car handling, and also visibility.
- Streets are populated with workers and businessmen during the day and
people dressed for the clubs, drunks, criminal seedy types at night. Streets
are obviously more dangerous at night.
- Players work their way through gang hierarchies
- Wanted Levels 1- 6 - cops, swat teams, FBI, the army
- Drive-By Shootings
- Physics (roll, etc) handbrake turns, ramps