Developer: Page 44 Studios
Release date: 9/6/05
The only hockey game to exclusively feature the greatest player of all time, Gretzky NHL 2006, exclusively for the PlayStation2 computer entertainment system, returns to the ice this fall with all-new gameplay modes and features promising to deliver the most realistic and action-packed hockey game available. The title introduces an all-new Wayne vs. Wayne mode where gamers earn "99 Time" and can temporarily activate Gretzky to go six-on-five against opponents or alternately defend against him when an opponent activates 99 Time. Gretzky NHL 2006 also features Team Chemistry, a new gameplay system where players are rewarded with top-notch play from teammates for sharing the puck and playing tough defense.
Other gameplay enhancements for the new season include a revamped Franchise Mode where gamers become owners, and an expanded Rivalry Mode where statistics on head-to-head battles are recorded and tracked. Officially licensed by the NHL, NHLPA, and AHL, the title also allows gamers a chance to suit up and skate with their favorite team in either league. With returning features such as EyeToy functionality, online gameplay, and ability to play as the Great One himself, Gretzky NHL 2006 is prepared to deliver the ultimate hockey experience.
- Modes of Play
- All-New Wayne vs. Wayne Mode â€“ Prepare for fast-paced, arcade-style action where gamers have a chance to activate Wayne Gretzky and play with or face him over the course of a heated game. Executing specific actions during a game allows players to achieve "99 Time," where Gretzky becomes a temporary playable teammate. Players can add him for a six-on-five offensive attack or attempt to defend against him in the same formation. For the ultimate line-up, gamers who activate Gretzky five times in one game are able to have five playable versions of Gretzky on the ice at the same time.
- All-New Franchise Mode â€“ Control team decisions on and off the ice in an attempt to create the most successful NHL franchise possible. As general manager, players assume the responsibility of franchise ownership overseeing every team decision including hiring coaches, drafting players, and setting contract negotiations for NHL and AHL teams.
- Expanded Rivalry Mode â€“ Rival players can claim bragging rights and pick up where they left off by saving and revisiting recorded stats from each epic battle. Gamers can now engage in a rivalry with different teams per game or with the same team all the way. Additionally, a new rivalry series option allows gamers to select the length of a rivalry to provide an "official" end. Lifetime rivalry stats from every game are stored and visible every time a rivalry is reunited.
- Online Mode â€“ Take a team online and enter the next level of hockey competition in head-to-head play. Tournaments support up to 64 teams and offer players USB headset functionality and downloadable roster updates.
- Tournament â€“ Create and customize options for tournament play including the standard NHL-style tournament bracket and World Cup-style round robin format. All gameplay options are saved separately as a distinct part of an ongoing tournament.
- Exhibition â€“ Gamers can select their favorite team and face off in a variety of classic rivalries. Choose from any of the NHL and AHL teams and even set up matches for teams from both leagues to face off.
- Practice â€“ Gamers can fine-tune their game before heading into live NHL action. Work on power play and short-handed situations as well as traditional hockey fundamentals like shooting, skating, passing, checking, and goal tending.
- All-New Team Chemistry â€“ Incorporating a unique system of A.I., gamers can become ultimate team players by sharing the puck, playing strong defense, and assisting goals. As teammates become more involved and play together as a unit, team play becomes stronger and player attributes improve.
- Gretzky Challenge â€“ Through successful gameplay, gamers can earn points by breaking Gretzky's actual NHL records and utilize those points to unlock hidden items including jerseys, teams, and playable versions of Gretzky from his days as a member of the Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, and New York Rangers.
- Eye Toy Functionality â€“ For an ultra-realistic experience, gamers can use the EyeToy USB camera to take a face snapshot and include their likeness on any NHL player.
- Create Player â€“ Create a player from scratch or edit each existing NHL player.
- Create Team â€“ With over 70 team logos to choose from, players can create their own unique version of the next NHL Stanley Cup Champion.
- AHL Licensed â€“ Play as or against all 30 AHL clubs in the actual arenas with all of the top AHL players. Games in this league are simulated in Franchise mode to track the performance of minor league skaters and determine if they are ready to step in to the big time spotlight.
- NHL Coaches Association License â€“ All NHL coaches' likenesses have been replicated in life-like detail.
- Breathtaking Arenas â€“ NHL arenas from LA to Boston have been replicated to provide a truly authentic experience including arena-specific game intro sequences and goal horns, interactive crowds with all-new crowd sounds including chants for teams and players, real-time scoreboards with realistic Jumbotron, and LED board animations.