Once again lacing up his skates, the Great One returns to action in Gretzky NHL for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) entertainment system. Officially licensed by the NHL and NHLPA, Gretzky NHL 2006 for PSP features fast-paced skating, precision passing, bone-jarring checks, and players that convey the power and emotion of their sport.
Gretzky NHL 2006 incorporates an all-new Wayne vs. Wayne mode where gamers earn "99 Time" and can temporarily activate Gretzky to go six-on-five against opponents or alternately defend against him when an opponent activates 99 Time. To challenge the skill levels of all hockey videogame fans, Gretzky NHL 2006 for PSP offers the Gretzky Challenge with unlockable, playable versions of Gretzky from his days as an Edmonton Oiler, Los Angeles King or New York Ranger. Additionally, hockey fans can play a quick game in either Quick Start or Exhibition Mode, act as owners in Season Mode, or compete against friends or other hockey fans in head-to-head play via Ad Hoc connectivity and Infrastructure Mode. With new gameplay modes, features, and audio commentary, Gretzky NHL 2006 for PSP blends the look, feel, and passion of hockey with hard-hitting and intense arcade-style gameplay.
- Modes of Play
- All-New Wayne vs. Wayne Mode â€“ Prepare for fast-paced, arcade-style action where gamers can activate Wayne Gretzky and play with or face him over the course of a heated game. Achieve "99 Time" and Gretzky will become a temporary playable teammate. Players can add him for a six-on-five offensive attack or attempt to defend against him in the same formation. For the ultimate line-up, gamers who activate Gretzky five times in one game are able to have five playable versions of Gretzky on the ice at the same time.
- Quick Game â€“ Artificial Intelligence (AI) picks evenly matched teams at random for a quick game on the go.
- Exhibition â€“ Gamers can select their favorite team and face off in a variety of epic rivalries. Choose from any NHL team to participate in a classic match-up.
- Season Mode â€“ Assume the role of GM and the responsibility of franchise ownership including the ability to draft, sign, and trade players from NHL teams and play the regular 82 game season.
- Online Mode â€“ Gamers can compete against friends or other hockey fans in head-to-head play via wireless multiplayer connectivity.
- Ad Hoc Mode â€“ Two or more PSP systems can communicate directly via Wi-Fi connectivity for regional/local multiplayer gameplay.
- Infrastructure Mode â€“ Gamers can link to a network through a wireless local area network (WLAN) access point for multiplayer gameplay nationwide.
- Gretzky Challenge â€“ Through successful gameplay, players can earn points by breaking Gretzky's actual NHL records and utilize those points to unlock hidden items including jerseys, teams, and playable versions of Gretzky from his days as a member of the Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, and New York Rangers.
- All-New Audio Commentary â€“ In-depth action and intensity is highlighted through game commentary delivered by the great Mike Emrick and Darren Pang.
- Innovative NHL Gameplay â€“ Utilize the shot aiming option to guide the puck past the tenacious goaltender. Set up a perfect one-timer with the give and go and load up the slap shot meter to beat the goalie with ultimate shot.
- NHL & NHLPA Licensed â€“ Play as or against all NHL teams with access to every player and arena.