Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Naughty Dog, Inc.
Genre: Combat Racing
Players: 1-2 Players (console), 2-6 Players (Online via Broadband Connection)
Platform: PlayStation â 2 computer entertainment system
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK®2 analog controller, memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2), Network Adaptor (Ethernet/Modem) (for PlayStation 2), USB Headset (for PlayStation 2, sold separately) or SOCOM headset
Launch Date: Fall 2005
Rating: "RP" for Rating Pending
Target Age: 13+
Jak X: Combat Racing™ brings back many of the franchise's most popular characters, in an intensely competitive combat race atmosphere. Created and developed by Naughty Dog, Inc., the Jak and Daxter franchise has sold more than 7.5 million units worldwide.
Jak X: Combat Racing promises nothing less than a heart-stopping plot, high-speed action and head-to-head vehicle combat, in the wildest ride in the series yet.
After Jak stopped the Dark Maker menace in his last adventure, cities were rebuilt, people flourished and sports reemerged to fill the void. Combat racing became the biggest sport of all, as the excitement of high-speed competition brought crowds to the track. Kras City led the way, with people flocking to the dangerous city of death and intrigue. When Jak and Daxter receive a mysterious invite to Kras City for the reading of Krew's Last Will and Testament, they find that they have been joined by familiar faces such as Ashelin, Keira, Samos and Torn. When Krew reveals in his recording will that everyone present, including his daughter, Rayn, has been poisoned, everyone is shocked.
Krew gives everyone an ultimatum – the only way to get the poison antidote in time is to race for him in the next Kras City Grand Championship, or they will all die. Now, Jak and his friends are forced into a high-speed contest for their lives, as they are swept up into a deadly plot to win the biggest racing event on the planet – against the best drivers in the world. With a deadly objective ahead of them, Jak and his friends take to the treacherous terrain as they are thrown into the driver's seat and find themselves racing against time in order to save their lives.
- Jak X: Combat Racing introduces both multiplayer and online modes to the Jak and Daxter franchise.
- Players will be tasked with a large variety of missions with multiple play modes and non-linear progression. Play modes include Racing, Time Trial, Time Box, Death Match and Team Death Match. In addition, special events, bonus tasks on tracks, arenas and large open terrains will be available.
- In the multiplayer mode, two players can race in high-speed head-to-head action, featuring various character drivers to choose from.
- The online mode allows up to six players to compete, with a full set of online features including Ranking System, Buddy List, Clans, Team Play and more.
- Players can create their own strategies for races and missions with an assortment of vehicle power ups, including projectile weapons, ranged weapons, smart bombs, mines, catastrophic attacks, turbos, shields and repair.
- More than 10 racing tracks with 20 configurations – plus reverse and mirror design – for greater diversity.
- Destructible elements within each track provides players additional challenge and fun.
- Vehicles are fully customizable and feature unique and lively handling characteristics through the utilization of Advanced Rigid Body Physics technology.
- Vehicles will feature progressive damage including parts breaking loose and falling off as they are destroyed in exciting and dynamic crashes.
- Each vehicle has multiple segment "snap-ons" including body parts, accoutrements, decals, paint patterns and colors, along with other special mods. Players can have fun by adding accessories such as fluffy dice, bobble heads, antennae flags and more!
- As an added bonus, gamers who play Daxter PSP (Final Name TBD) will have the ability to unlock Jak X: Combat Racing elements such as secret decals, modifications, vehicles and a character from Daxter PSP .
- Enjoy another episode in the Jak and Daxter universe, as the exciting plot unfolds in nearly an hour of cinematics.