E3, LOS ANGELES May 18, 2005 Capcom® today announced Legend of Kay™ for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Legend of Kay is a spirited action adventure game starring a courageous feline hero named Kay on a challenging quest to save his village from a menacing army of gorillas and rats. The game captures the essence of martial arts style movies as players master acrobatic kung fu moves, wield mighty weapons and deliver powerful magic attacks. The fast-paced gameplay, incredible graphics, and entertaining characters come together in an engaging story that will entertain gamers of all ages. Developed by Neon Studios, and published by JoWooD Productions Software AG in Europe, Capcom plans to publish Legend of Kay for North America this summer.
For generations, a settlement of peaceful cats has lived on the mythical island of Yenching, alongside many other animals. The harmony is disrupted when Shun, the power hungry king of the mighty gorillas, sends his army and their new rat allies to take over and enslave everyone in the land. Kay, a martial arts apprentice who diligently studies with his wise master at the town's dojo, must put his training to the test and face the adventure of a lifetime as he travels across the island to save his beloved village. Though Kay is a young cat, he is brave beyond his years and possesses great fighting skills. Armed with his trusty sword and fierce determination, he sets forth on a dangerous mission to save all cat-kind.
Legend of Kay features a flurry of action that recreates the feel of classic martial arts movies. Players must master an advanced close combat fighting system that is an explosive mix of kung fu moves and weapon attacks. Kay has more than 40 unique moves and can execute spectacular combos such as double and triple blows, back flips, somersaults, powerful magic attacks and more with the press of a few buttons. The battles will not be so easy however, as the onslaught of enemies that Kay must face are also armed with weapons and clever moves of their own.
Legend of Kay includes the following features:
Charismatic cast of characters:
Kay – a fearless young orphan who spends most of his time in the martial arts school training with his mentor, “Master”
Su Ling – Kay’s best friend and fellow feline who trains alongside him as the Master’s only students
Master – a seemingly old fox who guides Kay and Su Ling in their training; many years ago, he was the most skilled fighter on all of Yenching and he uses his quick wit and experience to stun his enemies
Emperor Shun – the king of an evil gorilla army who has partnered with the Clan of Rats to take over the island of Yenching
Tak – this devious king of the rats had been exiled from Yenching long ago but has joined forces with Shun’s armies in order to return and carry out a fiendish plan
• Beautifully detailed and varied environments – an adrenaline packed ride through dark forests, dusty swamps, foreboding canyons, a burning volcano and more
• Thrilling and varied gameplay – experience the excitement of racing around diverse terrains on the backs of wild animals, fighting against your enemies as you ride on a dragon, slide down cableways over gaping abysses and much more
• Nearly 20 different enemy types – electrifying battles against a wide range of enemies including giant turtles, wild boars, devious rats and gargantuan bosses!
• More than 40 unique moves – a variety of close combat and powerful magic attacks along with a strategic combo system results in a myriad of combat possibilities!
• 3 main weapons each with multiple upgrades:
Sword – the perfect all-round weapon which comes in handy in virtually any situation
Hammer – though slower and heavier than the sword, it’s able to unleash a ton of power
Claws – lightweight and super fast, these dole out large amounts of damage, especially to unarmed enemies
• Amazing graphical effects, fluid animations and dazzling special effects result in an unbelievably detailed, colorful and atmospheric world
• Controllable camera allows you to survey your surroundings
• Unlockables and extras – hidden weapons, extra challenges, art, music and more