Ship Date: Fall 2000
The Madden franchise is back with a vengeance this year, and is looking
to establish its dominance and become the "must have" game on a new
platform; The PlayStation 2 console.
This year Madden, a Super Bowl™-winning coach and Emmy award-winning
broadcaster, has some company in the game. For the first time ever in
a video football game, Madden NFL 2001 incorporates coaches into the
mix with the exclusive NFL™ Coaches Club license. Now coaches can be
seen on the sidelines, and will give unique coaching strategies for
"CyberScan" technology will also be utilized in the PlayStation 2
console version. EA caught up with the coaches at the owners meeting
this spring in Florida and digitized their faces using scans from numerous
high-resolution cameras. The technology helps unlock the awesome graphics
potential of this new system.
Also for the PC CD, the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 console versions
of the game, the coaches were recorded yelling "encouragement" to their
players and offering the referees "advice" on how to best call the game.
New for this year's Madden are player models that show a whole new
level of detail. Wristbands, visors, facemasks, turf tape and elbow
pads exist and are player specific so that each player has the same
equipment in the game they use in the real NFL.
Always a leader in the area of realistic gameplay, the weight and height
of each player is factored into collisions to help determine how much
ground a ball carrier gains as the tackle is made. A small defensive
back will have a tough time knocking a big bruising fullback down. On
the flip side, the lighter and quicker wide receivers will be able to
shake a linebacker during a pass route if the linebacker is forced to
cover the receiver due to a blown assignment.
- New player specific touchdown celebration dances and taunts bring the game to life.
- An all new interface makes the game menus easier to navigate.
- New defensive controls allow the user to read the offensive set at the line of scrimmage and adjust pass rushing routes, linebacker drops and pass coverage instantly.
- New dynamically enhanced audio and play-by-play recorded with Madden and his longtime broadcast partner, Pat Summerall.
- Player models that feature high-resolution graphics and player models proportional to their real life counterparts.