Platform: PS2, Xbox
ESRB Rating: "RP" for Rating Pending
Release Date: January 2005
Mercenaries is a revolutionary third-person combat-action
game that delivers the next level of free-form gameplay in massive
interactive environments. The game gives players the opportunity to
take on the role of a soldier for hire in an open-ended world. Mercenaries is
set in North Korea in the near future, where a coup has plunged the
troubled nation into chaos. An elite private military company, Executive
Operations, has dispatched a mercenary to track down the "deck of 52" fugitive
members of the old hardliner regime – before they can launch a nuclear
attack. The nonstop action within Mercenaries is
heightened by the integration of the Havok physics engine, making everything
within the environment act and react as it would in real life.
In the game, players choose to be one of three mercenaries: an American
ex-soldier, a British secret agent, or a Swedish bounty hunter. Each
playable character has unique strengths and weaknesses that affects
gameplay. For example, characters demonstrate increased expertise such
as stealth, speed, or sniping allowing for unique interactions with
the international factions, including China , North Korea , and the
Russian Mafia. Players choose to make enemies or form alliances with
these factions in order to obtain new vehicles and weaponry and unlock
new bonus missions that are specific to each faction.
Players stock up on more than 30 different types of real-world weaponry
including grenades, sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and air strikes
that are capable of demolishing an entire city block. Within the environment,
characters gain access to more then 30 authentic ground and air vehicles,
including helicopters, cars, jeeps, tanks and SUVs, that they use to
travel throughout the world and accomplish their objectives. If you
can see it you can steal it, use it, or blow it up.
- Third-person combat-action set in North Korea in the near future.
- Players control how they interact within each environment, using
anything and everything in the world.
- Havok physics engine allows for the most realistic and dynamic
gameplay – everything in the environment acts and reacts as it would
in real life.
- Engage in hundreds of dynamically generated action-packed missions.
- Play as one of three skilled Mercenaries including an American,
Swede, or a Brit - each character has a unique set of advantages.
- Obtain more than 30 real-world weapons including sniper rifles,
grenades, and rocket launchers.
- Commandeer more than 30 authentic ground and air vehicles including
helicopters, cars, jeeps, tanks, and SUVs.
- Choose your enemies or alliances between feuding factions including
the North Koreans, the Chinese, and the Russian Mafia.
- Authentic sound effects and Foley work recorded at Academy Award-winning