MLB '06: The Show Screenshots
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc., San Diego
Platform: PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system
Players: Single-player, 1-2 players via wireless multiplayer connectivity
Cover Athlete: David Ortiz (Boston Red Sox)
Launch Date: March 1, 2006
ESRB Rating: "E" for Everyone
As the longest running officially licensed baseball franchise on PlayStation platforms and already widely considered the most authentic baseball simulation available, MLB® '06 The Show picks up where last year's game left off and pitches the complete portable package for the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system. Now gamers can play their entire career "on the road." An all-new Career Mode allows baseball fans to create a player and attempt to land a spot on the roster of their favorite team based on their abilities, while an updated Season Mode, which now tracks multiple seasons, lets users take their team and make a run for consecutive rings. For those who are truly competitive in nature, the Historical Greats option allows core baseball fans to go up against baseball's heroes of yesteryear. Players seeking a little BP or looking to work on painting the corners of the plate can get into King of the Diamond, an innovative new mini-game that showcases the pitcher/batter duel in a timed, point-based challenge. Sports fanatics are always looking to stay on top of all the news around the league. Now they can with an all-new online news service, which provides users with MLB updates on news and events from around the league or their favorite team. Returning gameplay favorites include, Release Point Pitching, the Pitching Confidence Meter, Guess Pitch, and for gamers on the go, MLB '06 The Show offers multiplayer gameplay locally via Ad Hoc Mode, or across the nation via Infrastructure Mode.
Due to hit stores in spring of '06 as the only officially licensed first party videogame exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, MLB '06 The Show looks to continue its reign as the most realistic baseball videogame available.
NEW KEY FEATURES FOR MLB '06 THE SHOW:
- New King of the Diamond – A classic playground duel from childhood where a pitcher and batter from opposing teams will square off head-to-head. This innovative mini-game showcases the challenging intensity of the batter versus pitcher duel, while an inning clock increases the pressure in this Over-The-Line style challenge.
- New Multi-Branch Fielding – Branch Point Technology goes to a new level as gamers can now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process. Change a fielding decision and branch out of any animation after the first branch point. With Branch Point Technology MLB '06 The Show provides unbelievably smooth, fluid transitions for seamless double plays and relays.
- New User Controlled Slides – Players can now control base runners in attempts to advance and/or score.
- New 40-Man Roster – Provides the ability to take full control of a team's roster and manage all 40 players for each and every game.
- New Career Mode – Allows gamers create a player, assign him to their favorite team, and take their career on the road.
- New Season Mode – MLB '06 The Show tests the true baseball fan's commitment and allows them to make a run for consecutive rings with multiple seasons.
- New Historical Greats – For true nostalgic fans of America's Pastime,
MLB '06 The Show offers the all-new Historical Greats, giving them the opportunity to go against the legends of the past.
- New 3-Man Booth & Progressive Commentary – MLB '06 The Show combines a Progressive Broadcast, which adapts to current situations as gamers progress through the game, along with a 3-Man Booth. Rex Hudler joins Matt Vasgersian and Dave Campbell for the most comprehensive, game-specific commentary heard in any baseball videogame.
- New Online News Service – Sports fanatics can receive all the current happenings in sports today. Information will be updated a few times each hour with news, trades and events from 31 different feeds, each containing 25 unique items. Users can select general MLB headlines or updates from all 30 teams instantly, or save them to the Memory Stick Duo™ in order to review them offline at their convenience.
CORE / RETURING FEATURES FOR MLB '06 THE SHOW:
- Online Mode – Gamers can compete against friends or other baseball fans in head-to-head play via wireless multiplayer connectivity.
- Ad Hoc Mode – Allows two or more PSP systems to communicate directly with each other via Wi-Fi connectivity for regional/local multiplayer gameplay.
- Infrastructure Mode – Allows gamers to link to a network via a wireless local area network (WLAN) access point or "hot spot" for multiplayer gameplay across the nation.
- Quick Game – Gamers can select their favorite team and compete against the AI for a quick game on the go.
- Release Point Pitching with Confidence Meter – The ultimate pitcher/batter interface returns. While easy to pick up and play, yet difficult to master, Pitcher Confidence plays a role in a gamer's ability to hit release spots in the all-new pitch meter, while frequency of mistakes will impact the confidence level of a gamer's hurler, making it more difficult to paint the corners of the strike zone.
- Playmaker Fielding– The fielding interface brings the player attributes together with the user's skill level. With the Fielding Zone Marker, the fielder's fielding attribute rating will determine the size of the zone that surrounds the ball and it's eventual landing location. With highly ranked fielders, the ball marker will be displayed sooner and smaller making it easier to judge fly balls.
- MLB Authenticity – MLB '06 The Show presents fans with finer details and nuances that make the game America's pastime. Gamers can drag bunts along with wild pitches, broken bats, check swings and more.
Content on this page comes directly from press releases and fact sheets provided by publishers and developers and was not written by the Game Revolution staff.
More information about MLB '06: The Show
More On GameRevolution