MLB 2004 Screenshots
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: 989 Sports®
Players: 1-2 players
Platform: PlayStation®2 Computer Entertainment System
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK™2 analog controller, Memory Card (8MB)
(for PlayStation 2)
Launch Date: February 2003
Target Age: 16-25
Rating: "RP" for Rating Pending
Set for a Spring 2003 release, MLB™ 2004 promises to be the most authentic baseball simulation ever produced for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Combining incredible ballpark recreations, lifelike player models, and Total Control™ Pitching and Hitting, MLB 2004 is the game baseball enthusiasts have always wanted. Twelve modes of gameplay including Career Mode, Franchise Mode, Season Mode, and General Manager Mode make this the deepest baseball videogame ever produced. Throw in game consultation from more than a dozen Major League All-Stars and a television-style presentation with play-by-play from Hall of Famer Vin Scully and color commentary from ESPN's Dave Campbell, and MLB 2004's first year on the PlayStation 2 is a can't miss MVP.
- Total Control™ Pitching-Total Control Pitching is an MLB 2004 exclusive feature, putting gamers on the pitcher's mound determining pitch type, location, and velocity. In addition, scalable strike zones provide a true strike zone in proportion to each individual hitter.
- Total Control™ Batting-Another MLB 2004 exclusive, Total Control Batting lets gamers decide to hit for contact or power. Then, users can attempt to out think pitchers by guessing pitch type and location. Guess right, and the all-new batting cursor will have a huge sweet spot giving hitters a better chance to hit one out. Guess wrong, and it's a long walk back to the dugout to pull up a piece of pine.
- Hot and Cold Streaks-Start stringing together some hits and watch your batting cursor increase in both size and power. But, if you start struggling at the plate, the cursor becomes smaller, and you'll have to battle your way out of your slump. These streaks and slumps will also affect the attributes associated to that player.
- Mound Charging-If you're a victim of a bean ball, you have the option of charging the mound. But, be aware of the consequences for your actions. You can be sure to expect an early trip to the showers, and you may have to deal with a league-imposed suspension.
- Total Control™ Fielding-Become a gold glover by making barehanded grabs, throwing on the run, climbing the wall, and making diving catches. A new feature this year allows gamers to position each fielder exactly where you want them without affecting the entire defense.
- Managerial Control-Strategy is a huge part of baseball, and it is key to your success in MLB 2004. Managers can use in game scouting reports to determine pitch outs, double switches, and bullpen activity. Make the wrong move, or tire out a reliever by warming him up too long, and you'll have a lot of questions to answer after the game.
- Authentic Stadium Recreations-All 30 ballparks have been recreated in intricate detail, including authentic sponsor signage, city-specific weather effects, animated crowds and umpires, and real time JumboTrons.
- Realistic Player Models and Animations-From faces taken directly from head scans from every Major League Player to accurate skin tone, facial hair, and body style, MLB 2004 provides the most authentic player models available. Even the players' shadows are scaled to his body type. In addition, more than 1,500 personalized animations have been captured giving the game an unparalleled authenticity.
- Innovative and Exciting Game Modes-With more than 10 modes of gameplay, MLB 2004 delivers the deepest baseball game ever produced. Career Mode allows gamers to create a player and attempt to turn him from a no-name rookie into a Hall-of-Famer. General Manager Mode allows players to take control of the front office of a professional team and attempt to make the necessary trades and signings to build a World Series™ Champion. Add in other options such as Season Mode, Home Run Derby Mode, and Exhibition Mode, and baseball fans will have an endless supply of gaming options.
- Enhanced Artificial Intelligence-Incorporating input from numerous Major League All-Stars including Shawn Green, Troy Glaus, Trevor Hoffman, Tony Gwynn, and Roger Clemens, MLB 2004 offers the most authentic AI ever developed in a baseball game. All facets of the game from hitting and baserunning to pitching and defense have been developed to provide a true-to-life baseball simulation.
- TV-Style Presentation-Utilizing input from major network producers, MLB 2004 incorporates dozens of camera angles, replays, and play-by-play and commentary from Hall-of-Famer Vin Scully and ESPN's Dave Cambell to bring live baseball action to PlayStation 2.
- More than 100 Statistical Categories-Baseball is a game of stats, and MLB 2004 tracks both individual and team statistics as gamers attempt to win authentic Major League trophies such as the Silver Slugger, Cy Young, and MVP.
Content on this page comes directly from press releases and fact sheets provided by publishers and developers and was not written by the Game Revolution staff.