Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
Designer: SCEE, Cambridge Studio
Platform: PlayStation®2 Computer Entertainment System
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK™ analog controller, standard digital controller,
Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation 2)
Launch Date: January 2003
Target Age: 17 +
Rating: Rating Pending
Primal encourages players to face their inner demons in a game of exploration, combat and puzzles driven by a battle between order and chaos, as a modern-day girl faces the demons of an immortal world and discovers her own supernatural origin. The game introduces players to a fantasy world joined inextricably with our own. It is not a world of goblins and barbarians, or any other such fantasy fare. Primal is set against a credible backdrop and the characters possess believable personalities radiating warmth and emotion providing reason for conflict and motivation for their actions.
The game is story-driven, presented through the experiences of the central characters, a present-day, human couple drawn into discord by eternal forces. While gameplay revolves around the momentous events of the story, there are many personal revelations and surprises for the characters along the way. Essential to the game's core is the unusual and evolving relationship between Primal's two main, playable characters, Jen, the girl, and Scree, the gargoyle.
- Primal features two main and playable characters, Jen (the girl) and Scree (the gargoyle), who can be switched out at any time.
- Jen possesses combat abilities, while Scree can climb and explore areas more freely. Puzzles require the use of both characters.
- Players assuming the role of Jen will learn to unleash and control four different demon-fighting forms. Playing as Scree, gamers are able to possess all kinds of statues.
- An advanced combat system delivers challenging battles. Each of Jen's demon forms has a unique weapon and fighting technique. Gamers will learn new skills with devastating combos and finishing moves.
- Huge environments cover four expansive realms with a central hub. A dynamic loading system provides uninterrupted gameplay for gamers. Magical portals act as links and 'windows' into other worlds.
- Special effects include seamless character morphing between demon forms, extravagant particle effects and environmental effects such as fog and mist.
- Fully integrated real-time cut-scenes provide an immersive experience for gamers.
- Streamed CD-quality audio, with Dolby Surround support will provide players with superior sound.
Content on this page comes directly from press releases and fact sheets provided by publishers and developers and was not written by the Game Revolution staff.
More information about Primal