Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
Developer: Insomniac Games
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system
Launch Date: Fall 2007
Rating: “RP” for Rating Pending
This Fall, get ready for a galactic adventure filled with explosive mayhem as the multi-million unit-selling Ratchet & Clank® series makes its PLAYSTATION®3 debut with Ratchet & Clank? Future: Tools of Destruction™. Developed exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system by highly-acclaimed developer Insomniac Games, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction marks the beginning of a brand-new series of next-generation games for our gadget-building hero, Ratchet, and his brainy robotic sidekick, Clank.
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction is the second PS3 game created by Insomniac Games, after its best-selling launch title, Resistance: Fall of Man™. As the first developer to embark on a second generation PS3 title, Insomniac Games brings the Ratchet & Clank universe to life by leveraging the true processing power of the PS3.
Combining Ratchet & Clank’s adventure roots with an epic storyline and immersive gameplay, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction draws players into a vast, new galaxy more vibrant, diverse and interactive than ever before. With bustling cities, gigantic enemies and giant boss battles, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction delivers a sophisticated, yet humorous adventure for fans of all ages.
After saving countless planets from dreadful doom and earning intergalactic mega-celebrity status in the process, Ratchet and Clank have taken some well-deserved R&R -- again. Yet, Ratchet remains restless. An orphan of the universe, he has never known anything of his past, his family, or his Lombax origins. And no one, not even Clank, can fill that void.
Unfortunately for Ratchet, someone else is equally interested in Ratchet’s origins: Emperor Percival Tachyon. In his thirst for revenge, the vile tyrant of an ancient race of foul insect-like monsters called Cragmites has festered an age-old grudge and is bent on wiping the last-known Lombax off the universe. As Tachyon’s forces ambush Ratchet and Clank in their home galaxy, our heroes realize they need to escape quickly to prevent its destruction. In a move of desperate irony, Ratchet and Clank steal Tachyon’s imperial warship and embark upon an adventure bigger than any they’ve experienced- one that will not only unravel the mystery of the Lombaxes, but also test the very limits of their friendship.
* Insomniac Games has overhauled its proprietary PS3 engine technology to create the most visceral Ratchet & Clank universe yet, overflowing with exotic creatures and flying vehicles.
* Experience many more objects on screen and in more intricate detail than what was possible on PlayStation®2 Ratchet & Clank games.
* The PS3 system’s superior power enables Ratchet & Clank Future:
Tools of Destruction to bring vivid worlds to life with increased draw distances, enhanced lighting and shadowing, and more fluid and exaggerated animations.
* Discover an all-new galaxy spanning vast worlds such as a majestic cloud city and a space-age amusement park.
* Encounter an entirely new cast of expressive characters (and some old favorites) as well as the introduction of a variety of new alien races and life forms.
* Experience a more emotive Ratchet with nearly as many animation joints in his face (90) as PS2 Ratchet had in his entire body (112). This joint density applies to many of the characters featured in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, enabling more detailed, personable and expressive characters.
* Clank returns as a playable character, and Ratchet will have new enhanced abilities.
* Fire a fully stocked arsenal of all-new weapons such as the Plasma Beasts and Tornado Launcher, which uses the SIXAXIS™ controller to direct tornadoes that suck up enemies and whip them around with debris.
* Use the SIXAXIS controller to maneuver, destroy enemies and solve puzzles.
* Upgrade and customize weapons with a new system that provides greater power and flexibility. Players also will have the ability to upgrade Ratchet’s armor.
* Utilize Ratchet’s new supply of consumable “on-demand” combat devices, such as the Groovitron, which causes enemies to dance uncontrollably to ‘70s disco hits.
* Gadgets gameplay returns as Ratchet and Clank will have more gadgets at their disposal to help them bounce, fly, evade and defy gravity.
* Pilot Ratchet’s ship through asteroid fields while trying to destroy enemy fleets in a complete redesign of classic Ratchet & Clank space combat gameplay.