Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Developer: Zipper Interactive
Platform: PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system
Genre: 3 rd Person Shooter/Military Strategy
Players: Single-player offline, 2-32 players online via broadband connection
Peripherals: DUALSHOCK®2 analog controller, memory card (8MB)(for PlayStation 2), Network Adaptor (Ethernet/Modem) (for PlayStation 2) or a network-ready PlayStation 2 system, SOCOM and USB headset (for PlayStation 2) (sold separately)
Launch Date: October 11, 2005
Target Age: 17 and older
Rating: "M" for "Mature"
Protect America and freedom from enemy forces in urban and rural warfare throughout the world in SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs, exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. SOCOM 3 builds on the strengths of the multimillion-selling franchise to firmly establish both single-player and multiplayer as equally outstanding game experiences. Created in association with the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command, SOCOM 3 is as close as you can get to being a Navy SEAL on PlayStation 2.
Explore three new Areas of Operation (AO): Morocco , Poland , and South Asia . Streaming environment technology allows gameplay maps to be five to six times larger than in SOCOM II: U.S. NAVY SEALs. In addition, multiple save points eliminate having to replay a failed mission from the beginning, allowing for seamless progression through the plotline.
For the first time in the SOCOM series, land and water vehicles play a central role in the gameplay experience. Vehicles are drivable by both players and AI and cover a range of military and civilian vehicles including tactical turret-equipped pickups, the SEAL-team configured military Humvee and SOC-R Assault Boat.
The innovative new weapon customization system in SOCOM 3 allows players to use more than 30 different weapons and 20 attachments, resulting in nearly1,000 different weapon combinations.
The new Team Command Actions (TCA) allows you to quickly give your teammates context sensitive commands such as move to, breach, and more, simply by pointing at the location and pressing a single button. Combined with more complex team and enemy AI behavior, SOCOM 3 presents a fully immersive and more intense tactical experience than ever before.
Supporting at peak times more than 35,000 simultaneous players online, the SOCOM franchise has led the online console gaming movement, uniting PlayStation 2 gamers across the country for exciting, unsurpassed multiplayer gameplay. SOCOM 3 has taken online gaming capabilities and technology to new heights, supporting up to 32 players at one time – double the amount of players in SOCOM and SOCOM II. In addition, up to four spectators can observe any open online gameplay session.
Players can explore 12 unique multiplayer maps, each supporting multiple game types. SOCOM 3 features two new game types, Convoy and Control Point. Convoy focuses on vehicle play and Control Point allows players to battle for control of the map. Extended community features include improved friends list and chat functionality, a detailed ranking structure, expanded stat tracking and ladders, message boards and clan challenges.
Another original title in the franchise, SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs s Fireteam Bravo will also launch this fall, exclusively for the PSP ™ (PlayStation® Portable) entertainment system . SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo is the one of the first PSP titles to offer PlayStation 2 interoperability through "crosstalk" tasks. Objectives completion in one SOCOM game will affect the overall play experience in both games. Once a crosstalk objective is completed, the player will be notified and is able to sync mission critical data from PlayStation 2 to PSP through a USB connection.
KEY FEATURES – Single-Player
• Association with the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command ensures authentic and realistic SEAL gameplay and mission designs.
• New Areas of Operation: Morocco , Poland , and South Asia , are designed with detailed plots and varied mission destinations.
• Land and water vehicles, drivable by both players and AI characters bring new tactics to the SOCOM franchise. Vehicles offer players the ability to cover more terrain in larger Areas of Operation for tactical mission progression.
• Using more than 30 authentic weapons and 20 compatible attachments on multiple hard points, players have nearly 1,000 different weapon combinations for customized combat execution.
• New Team Command Actions let the player direct the fireteam quickly with a single button press.
• Complex AI behavior makes use of cover positions, blind firing, and fallback behavior to better simulate urban combat. Leader AI provides rallying behavior and coordinated chain-of-command scenarios.
• Swimming and water combat play a tactical role in SOCOM 3. Use water for cover or pilot strike boats for waterborne assaults.
• Streaming environment technology enables gameplay maps five to six times the size than in SOCOM II . The larger maps provide much more varied and rich gameplay experiences.
• Multiple paths to mission resolution bring replayability and variety to the single-player experience.
• New technology brings advanced particle and graphic effects for more realistic weaponry, environments, and equipment.
KEY FEATURES – Multiplayer and PlayStation Portable interoperability
• SOCOM 3 builds on the success of its predecessors, supporting up to 32 players (double the amount in SOCOM II) on maps up to six times larger.
• Players can explore 12 unique multiplayer maps, each supporting multiple game types.
• Mission types include: Demolition, Extraction, Suppression, Breach, Escort, Convoy and Control Point.
• Two new mission types – Convoy and Control Point. Convoy focuses on vehicle play and Control Point allows players to battle for control of the map.
• Supporting the PlayStation 2 community in new ways, SOCOM 3 will have an expansive list of community features including improved friends list and chat functionality, a detailed ranking structure, expanded stat tracking and ladders, message boards and clan challenges.
• Spectator mode enables up to four viewers to observe the action to identify key map hot spots and player's tactics before entering the game.
• The "crosstalk" feature enables players who successfully complete cross-title objectives to affect mission structure in both SOCOM 3 and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo by syncing mission data across PSP and PlayStation 2 through a USB connection.