Developer: Rockstar Toronto
Release date: October 18 2005
Rockstar Games proudly presents The Warriors for the PlayStation®2 and Xbox based on the 1979 Paramount Pictures cult classic movie. Developed by Rockstar Toronto, The Warriors expands the stylized cinematic journey of the film into a gritty interactive experience set in 1970s New York .
- Rockstar has recreated and expanded on the storyline of the film to create a deep and compelling gameplay experience.
- Authentic New York environments were reproduced in great detail to maintain the sense of style and atmosphere of The Warriors film. For example, Ferris wheel cars swing on the Wonder Wheel, and there are highly detailed textures for buildings and city streets.
- Play as each of the nine Warriors throughout the game—Cleon, Ajax , Swan, Snow, Cochise, Cowboy, Rembrandt, Vermin and Fox. Each will serve as the leader of different missions in the game.
- Three different fighting styles include: Street Fighting, Brawler, and Kung Fu.
- Deep fighting system includes diving and tackling, reversals, tandem attacks with other Warriors, beating opponents while pinning them on the ground, dragging and throwing enemies into fences and walls, finishing them off with a stomp while they're trying to crawl away, using grab attacks to cause serious damage, and much more.
- Rage mode allows you the ability to do new massively powerful moves that will clear the area and cause tremendous damage.
- There will be varying degrees of progressive damage in the game, like facial lacerations and bloody clothing. Warriors can be cured by taking Flash.
- The environments will be littered with objects that can be used as weapons against such as wood planks with nails, bricks, pipes, boxes, garbage bags, televisions, and more. There will also be multidimensional objects, such as bottles, which can be broken, then used as a stabbing weapon.
- Giving more freedom to the user than any other brawler before it, The Warriors can steal car stereos, mug pedestrians and loot stores to make money. They can also use spray paint to throw up the classic Warriors "W" over rival gang tags.
- Full gang control allows the player to select War Chief commands, some of which include having your gang move quickly, hold up, or trash everything in sight.
- A variety of different gameplay mechanics allow the player to approach the levels however they choose-play it as a straight up brawler, or incorporate stealth techniques.
- Gangs from the game are pulled straight from the film, including the Gramercy Riffs, Turnbull AC's, and The Orphans.
- Based on the 1979 Paramount Pictures film, directed by Walter Hill, adapted from the 1965 novel by Sol Yurick.
- Coming to PlayStation 2 and Xbox October 18, 2005 ( USA ) and October 21, 2005 ( Europe and Australia ).