Tell GR: What is your most played game?

We play video games a lot here at GameRevolution, but considering our job is to provide all the latest coverage on the industry’s new releases, we typically don’t get to spend a great deal of time with one particular game. However, over the years there have been certain games that have been so engrossing we’ve had to stop whatever we were doing, dedicating all of our spare time to playing them.

We asked the GR editorial team which games they’ve spent the most time playing over the years, and their results ranged from addictive multiplayer titles through to life-consuming RPGs. As always, leave your own responses in the comments section below, and we’ll feature our favorite in tomorrow’s Tell GR.

Paul Tamburro, executive editor: “It’s gotta be a tie between Super Mario World and Halo 2. I played the former religiously as a kid, completing it more times than I can count, while Halo 2 was pretty much the first online multiplayer game I was heavily invested in. I also plugged many an hour into Fallout 3, but considering that I spent my time playing that game rather than getting good grades, I’d rather forget about that particularly unsuccessful period of my life.”

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: “According to Steam I’ve somehow played Space Engineers for 300 hours. I spent most of that trying to tunnel through asteroids and make cool bases. The game I’ve spent the most time on period, though, is probably The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. I spent a whole summer playing that game multiple hours almost every day, and did almost everything you could do in it.”

Mack Ashworth, lead editor: “I think I’ve probably played The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion the most. That and Gears of War were my only Xbox 360 games for a good few months. I played Oblivion until my fingers felt like they would fall off. That game > sleep for too many nights. Multiple characters with max stats. Loved every minute of it!”

Bradley Russell, news editor: If we’re talking total hours sunk in ever then it’s gotta be Football Manager 2012. My university degree had about six hours of actual lectures a week which meant I could play a LOT of FM in the interim. One year I put a solid 600 to 700 hours like it was nothing over the course of a few months. These days I just leave it on in the background and dip in and out when I have work to do free time on my hands but I’ll always be a little nostalgic for that brief period when I could spend literally all day playing it.

Michael Leri, features editor: “It’s hard to say since the endless time I spent playing games in my youth was never calculated like it is today. Overwatch, however, does have a counter so I can look at it and feel just a tiny pang of shame. That counter is currently sitting at 488 hours but I wouldn’t be shocked if I had spent more time playing Crash Team Racing as a kid. All time is irrelevant as a child so I’ll never know how many hours I drained into playing that kart racing masterpiece. Well, at least until I die. I assume there’s a huge leaderboard that plays before you black out and rot in the ground.”

Yesterday’s Best Comment

Question: What game genre needs to make a comeback?

Davejuh: “Proper Extreme Sports games. A real Tony Hawk Pro Skater follow up (not the shit that was #5 or the HD remake of the first games), Another SSX game in the style of Tricky or SSX 3. The SSX for PS3/360 was a great game, but it lacked the style of the previous ones in my eyes. Or heck even a Skate 4 would be amazing with all new graphics and online features. Tony Hawk, SSX, Skate… good ol’ days.”

Upcoming Releases

Eve and her comrades land on the surface to reclaim the extinct Earth and cross paths with a survivor named Adam. Eve is then led by Adam to the last surviving city, Xion, where she meets the elder of the town Orcal and is told many stories. In order to serve her mission to save Earth, Eve develops close relationships…
Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story unfolds on a galactic scale.
The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Reviews

9 SCUF Reflex Review
SCUF is the brand that comes to mind for most people when it comes to custom gaming controllers. It’s been…
X