Shadow of Mordor includes a quite a few abilities to help players on their journey to stop the Black Hand of Sauron. New tiers of abilities are unlocked with more power points, which are earned by completing particular story missions and killing Uruk captains. In addition, some abilities are simply provided after completing set story missions. Listed below are all of the game's abilities and their respective descriptions.
- Execution: When your Hit Streak is charged, press triangle + circle to execute your target. Every x8 consecutive hits the Hit Streak counter will turn red and your sword will glow.
- Impact: Countered enemies (triangle) will be knocked backward, stunned or knocked down.
- Strike From Above: Aerial takedowns (R2 + square) on unaware targets become lethal.
- Elven Swiftness: Time your landings (tap X) when mantling over obstacles to gain a temporary speed boost and +1 Hit Streak.
- Detonate: Shoot fires or barrels to cause them to explode. You are immune to damage from fires and explosions.
- Wraith Stun: Stun enemies (tap circle) then follow with a flurry of sword strikes (tap square).
- Ride Caragors: Press R1 to mount Caragors from above. Once mounted, you can ride, climb, and fight with them.
- Critical Strike: Doubles Hit Streak gains on well-timed attacks. Tap square only once as each strike connects to receive the bonus. Other well times moves such as Throw Dagger (L2) can be critical strikes.
- Last Chance Finisher: The ability to deal a lethal finisher in a Last Chance Struggle.
- Poison: Press R1 to Poison grog barrels.
- Throwing Daggers: Tap L2 to throw a dagger that deals light damage and causes enemies to stagger backward.
- Brutalize: A terrifying stealth kill (Hold R2 + triangle) that causes nearby enemies to flee and builds the Hit Streak.
- Shadow Strike: Spend 2 Elf-shots to teleport to a targeted enemy (L2 + X) and knock it down.
- Pin in Place: Bow attacks aimed at an Uruk's legs will pin him in place. Use quick pinning shots to keep a fleeing Uruk from escaping or immobilize tough Uruks in a fight.
- Wraith Flash: When your Hit Streak is charged, press square + X to perform a blast that stuns enemies and inflicts damage. Every x8 consecutive hits the Hit Streak counter will turn red and your sword will glow.
- Stealth Drain: Drain from stealth (Hold R2 + circle).
- Caragor Hunter: Gain the ability to counter Caragor attacks (triangle). Caragors stunned by the counter can be mounted. Also gain the ability to score a deadly counterattack from Last Chance Struggles with Caragors.
- Swift Finisher: Reduces the time required to perform a ground execution (R2 + square) against a downed enemy.
- Vault Stun: Vaulting over an enemy (tap X) will now leave it stunned.
- Brace of Daggers: Upgrades throwing daggers so that three can be thrown in quick succession (quickly tap L2). Fleeing enemy can be slain by thrown daggers.
- Shoulder Charge: Upgrades dash attacks (Hold X to sprint then tap R1) so that they will damage wooden shields and knock enemies down. There is a two-second cooldown after activation.
- Lethal Shadow Strike: A lethal version of Shadow Strike (L2 + square).
- Wraith Finisher: Victims of Drain and Flurry Kill will explode causing nearby enemies to recoil in terror.
- Combat Drain: When your Hit Streak is charged, press X + circle to instantly drain an Uruk, which recovers Elf-shot and terrifies the target. Every x8 consecutive hits the Hit Streak counter will turn red and your sword will glow.
- Graug Hunter: Press R1 to mount and ride stunned Graugs. Sneak up behind unaware Graugs and tap square to bleed them, causing massive damage and attracting Caragors.
- Blade Master: Reduces the Hit Streak threshold for Execution, Wraith Flash, Combat Drain, Wraith Burn, and Fire Arrow from 8 to 5.
- Resilience: The ability to absorb one hit without the Hit Streak being reset.
- Death Threat: Issue a Death Threat to a Captain through Interrogation. Death Threats greatly imrpove the odds of Epic rune drops from Warchiefs and add a 40% chance for Captains to drop them as well. Your target will increase in Power and acquire a gang.
- Fire Arrow: When your Hit Streak is charged, you can unleash a Fire Arrow (Hold L2 + R1). Fire Arrows will cause huge explosions if used on barrels or campfires. Every x8 consecutive hits the Hit Streak counter will turn red and your sword will glow.
- Wraith Blast: Upgrades Wraith Stun (tap circle) so that all enemies in a cone around your target are hit. The higher your hit streak, the larger the cone.
- Brand: All Drain moves now Brand the target. Branded enemies will automatically fight by your side in combat. Or you can Activate them from stealth by pressing up on the d-pad.
- Shadow Mount: Instantly mount a Graug or Caragor with Shadow Strike (L2 + X).
- Critical Strike 2: Triples Hit Streak gains on well-time attacks. Tap square only once as each strike connects to receive the bonus.
- Flame of Vengeance: Striking (square) enemies with a glowing sword will deal double damage. Your sword will glow whenever your Hit Streak is charged.
- Double Charge: When your Hit Streak is charged, you can perform two special attacks instead of one. Applies to Execution, Wraith Flash, Combat Drain, Wraith Burn and Fire Arrow.
- Shadow Strike Chain: Chain together Shadow Strike Attacks (Hold L2 + X) or (Hold L2 + square). During the attack, push the left analog stick in the direction of your next target and tap X or square to continue to chain.
- Quick Draw: Greatly reduces the time it takes to charge a bow attack.
- Wraith Burn: When your Hit Streak is charged, press square + triangle to kill any Uruks that are stunned or knocked down while others caught by the effect may flee in terror. Every x8 consecutive hits the Hit Streak counter will turn red and your sword will glow.
- Dispatch: Press down on the d-pad to kill all branded Uruks and Monsters.