Borderlands 3 Microtransactions

Borderlands 3 Microtransactions | Will BL3 have loot boxes and premium currency?

Will there be any Borderlands 3 microtransactions? It’s been a long time since the days of Borderlands 2 and its boatload of DLC and the game market has changed significantly since then. Some players are rightfully concerned that there will be Borderlands 3 loot boxes or Borderlands 3 premium currency to contend with. Previous reports stated that they won’t be an issue, but some recent statements from Randy Pitchford indicate that we’ll probably be getting something extra that we can buy with our hard-earned money.

Borderlands 3 Microtransactions | The tweets from Randy Pitchford

Borderlands 3 Microtransactions

A Game Informer article quoted a Gearbox executive clarifying the issue in an interview. “We’re selling cosmetic items, but we’re not going to nickel and dime players,” said Borderlands 3 Creative Director Paul Sage in the article. “DLC will come down the line, but the game won’t have anything excessive.” However, Gearbox President and CEO Randy Pitchford took issue with the article and followed it up with some statements of his own on Twitter.

“Come on guys – sh***y clickbait headline,” Mr. Pitchford said in a tweet in response to the Game Informer article. “Literally seconds before I said that, I made it very clear we’re going to do more cosmetic stuff like we did in Borderlands 2. You know I was talking about premium currency and loot boxes kind of stuff NOT being in our game.”

He continued to explain how Borderlands 3 microtransactions would work in a tweet on the following day. “There will be tons of cosmetic drops as (free) loot in Borderlands 3. Currently there are no plans for any cosmetic DLC, but I anticipate there will be customer demand [post-launch] that we will be excited to meet just as we did with additional optional cosmetic [DLC] for BL2.”

So, will there be Borderlands 3 microtransactions? Paid loot boxes and premium currency do seem pretty unlikely. There also aren’t any concrete plans for paid cosmetic DLC, but that is one door that Mr. Pitchford seems to have left often.

Upcoming Releases

The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.
Inspired by the beauty of the natural world around us, Everwild is a brand-new game in development from Rare where unique and unforgettable experiences await in a natural and magical world. Play as an Eternal as you explore and build bonds with the world around you.
Kindred Fates is an open world monster battling RPG, and a love letter to the monster battle genre. Our goal is to evolve the genre, and finally bring fans what they've been asking for.

Reviews

9 Insta360 Ace Pro Review
The Insta360 Ace Pro is the company’s latest flagship that hits hard at the competition. Top-tier specs leave little room…